• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Hearsay - What happened to Accendo (1 Viewer)

Dumb Question, were those people friendly or against MQ?

I think the alarming thing about this is, those folks have been with the game a very long time and it's concerning that out of nowhere they have been let go. We don't really get to know what's going on inside DPG so this might be Really bad, sorta bad or nothing to be concerned about.

So far, I haven't seen or heard any alarm bells ringing so I'm going to go with ... I hope those folks land on thier feet and find new jobs they enjoy.

I think the alarming thing about this is, those folks have been with the game a very long time and it's concerning that out of nowhere they have been let go. We don't really get to know what's going on inside DPG so this might be Really bad, sorta bad or nothing to be concerned about.

So far, I haven't seen or heard any alarm bells ringing so I'm going to go with ... I hope those folks land on thier feet and find new jobs they enjoy.
fight club GIF

They all pulled one of these…

What is the best conspiracy so far? I sure there are people on this board that talk with DB on occasion and might have knowledge.

Nearly all the devs are "against" MQ. It's more a matter of how much they're against it. I mean, if there was a project dedicated to cheating at the thing that you're working on full-time, wouldn't you resent it as well?
No I'd be interested in what benefits it provides that could be incorporated to make a better game
People mostly use MQ because it makes EQ a different game which does not exist anywhere else
However I dont consider automation cheating, its encouraged in every other aspect of life.... warping/fartaunt IMO is cheating

Nearly all the devs are "against" MQ. It's more a matter of how much they're against it. I mean, if there was a project dedicated to cheating at the thing that you're working on full-time, wouldn't you resent it as well?
No, id embrace it and use it to automate my job covertly so i can still get the recognition, get paid, and lounge at the beach

Beach Party Running GIF by Party Down South

No I'd be interested in what benefits it provides that could be incorporated to make a better game
People mostly use MQ because it makes EQ a different game which does not exist anywhere else
However I dont consider automation cheating, its encouraged in every other aspect of life.... warping/fartaunt IMO is cheating
At one point I agreed with you, but I've seen it from the other side too. MQ is a MASSIVE advantage over anyone not using it. It exposes information that the devs specifically intended to keep hidden from the players.

I'm currently working on maxing AP with Jande's tradeskill macro and it is infinitely more efficient than doing it manually. It's absolutely cheating, I'm cheating, we're all cheating. Saying "oh, it's just automation" is disingenuous.

At one point I agreed with you, but I've seen it from the other side too. MQ is a MASSIVE advantage over anyone not using it. It exposes information that the devs specifically intended to keep hidden from the players.

I'm currently working on maxing AP with Jande's tradeskill macro and it is infinitely more efficient than doing it manually. It's absolutely cheating, I'm cheating, we're all cheating. Saying "oh, it's just automation" is disingenuous.
Unreasonable hurdles leads to cheating. I did it once by hand and the amount of wrist strain is just silly. If such a requirement is set then of course people are going to try and cheat.
For that matter if mq did not exist you could do the same with autohotkey, /outputfile and scanning log file. Lot more coding work but it would be possible.

Unreasonable hurdles leads to cheating.
Truth. I own both your macro and jb321's Lua script and I am just hoping I finish 350 on my remaining tradeskills before my license (on TSN) runs out in about 14 years. Without MQ, EQ (live) would simply be a bad trip down memory lane regardless of how DBG's staff feels about it.

@hammertime6505 , by logic of tenure they were probably victims to what every company is currently doing in tech and financial services. They're cutting anyone with tenure who's making a decent living that can actually speak out against the stupidity the current batch of CIO/CEO's/CFO's are coming in with.

New leaders are usually externa hires and usually have no belief and/or loyalty to company culture (other than lip service). They know they've got 4-5 years to turn a profit before they make the next jump...so cutting cost/staff is the number one move

This is why I build solutions only I understand and why no one is getting trained on stuff I make/build

ben stiller beard GIF

FAQ's: What is the logic or business rules of these low code/no code solutions?
Reese Witherspoon Mom GIF by HULU

FAQ's: Are there any single points of failure?
Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

FAQ's: If you're out who can help us with any issues?

answering machine cbc GIF by Kim's Convenience

FAQ's: Can's this process and reporting be automated and simplified? You do the Aikido Answer of saying...
200.gif
... then they usually run away and say...nah let's just keep things as they are...you know keep it simple

Last edited:
@hammertime6505 , by logic of tenure they were probably victims to what every company is currently doing in tech and financial services. They're cutting anyone with tenure who's making a decent living that can actually speak out against the stupidity the current batch of CIO/CEO's/CFO's are coming in with.

New leaders are usually externa hires and usually have no belief and/or loyalty to company culture (other than lip service). They know they've got 4-5 years to turn a profit before they make the next jump...so cutting cost/staff is the number one move
These sound like developers, not management. Individual contributors. None of the C-suite knows how to code, which is why they get away with what you said. =)

Db could easily pull in the top 10 game fixes from MQ and most of the folks would skip the danger of 3rd party automation.

This is why I build solutions only I understand and why no one is getting trained on stuff I make/build

Work in tech also lot of truth to this. That said EBITDA has gotten fairly out of whack in our industry if we are honest. Too many start-ups / pre-ipo companies that only were looking at market share not profitability - so that has flipped. And then you have FAANG where some overhired - big cuts on the passion projects and middle management.

Work in tech also lot of truth to this. That said EBITDA has gotten fairly out of whack in our industry if we are honest. Too many start-ups / pre-ipo companies that only were looking at market share not profitability - so that has flipped. And then you have FAANG where some overhired - big cuts on the passion projects and middle management.
Agreed.
All of the bureaucracies have balooned under the phat covid money. Folks threw that at r&d projects that cant be supported with out.

The MBAs have been programed to squeeze all the profit out of the system even if it means degrading the service to customers ... and most def has scewed the understaffed/paid operations teams. They tell us its cheaper to fix disasters than it is to built the system resilient so it doesnt fail. That we are up at 2am to fix it is no big deal, cause we are salary and the company has paid us anyway. 80+ hours a week is the norm. Days, nights, weekends, and holidays to do patches and such. We would watch the new hires gain 35 pounds over the next few months as the corperation sucks their life force out of them.

Turns out even that FAANG were colluding on the back end to screw all of the individual contributors in pay for decades. The folks that actually get shit done in the world.

lol sorry youve all triggered my tramas. 25+ years in west coast IT ops was brutal on the body and soul.

reminds me of that old movie war games also applies to bureaucracies .... the only winning move is not to play.

Agreed.
All of the bureaucracies have balooned under the phat covid money. Folks threw that at r&d projects that cant be supported with out.

The MBAs have been programed to squeeze all the profit out of the system even if it means degrading the service to customers ... and most def has scewed the understaffed/paid operations teams. They tell us its cheaper to fix disasters than it is to built the system resilient so it doesnt fail. That we are up at 2am to fix it is no big deal, cause we are salary and the company has paid us anyway. 80+ hours a week is the norm. Days, nights, weekends, and holidays to do patches and such. We would watch the new hires gain 35 pounds over the next few months as the corperation sucks their life force out of them.

Turns out even that FAANG were colluding on the back end to screw all of the individual contributors in pay for decades. The folks that actually get shit done in the world.

lol sorry youve all triggered my tramas. 25+ years in west coast IT ops was brutal on the body and soul.

reminds me of that old movie war games also applies to bureaucracies .... the only winning move is not to play.

The ops piece is still at play but I will say there have been some big lessons in Ops / Security breaches that have somewhat changed that - I don't think the full culture piece is there yet but it's shifting now at least. For example Southwest found out just how expensive ignoring some aspects of operations can be this past year. And a lot of CIOs have been forced to admit this could happen to them.

Still too much stupidity in the system but that will change over time. The legacy technical debt will have to be addressed if companies truly want to take advantage of cloud / AI. Backend plumbing might not be sexy but it is necessary.

@ChatWithThisName ... so you're saying you're level zero...

china film GIF
kung fu panda dreamworks GIF

@ChatWithThisName coaching the dbg development team...lol

Angry Kung Fu Panda GIF
I'm not saying I'm level zero, I'm simply stating that I started learning C/C++ through macroquest. My academic knowledge of programming is not a high bar. While I tend to think through what I'm doing so that it can flow well in a programmatic way and appear to have made good choices when developing the plugins through the guidance of Knightly/Brain and by not being afraid to read a book or google an issue, I would say that I am still a beginner. When I read code by more experienced coders such as Brain/Knightly it's reasonable to expect I'll quickly get lost and it takes a lot of time and google to understand some of the things they are doing.

I'm fairly sure that the developers at daybreak have way more experience than me and that they are more likely to have mistakes in their code because they are part of an organization with deadlines and multiple moving pieces. I'm not excusing any bugs that are pushed out to the public by them, simply stating that it's likely more complicated than it appears on the surface. Where-as I personally have very little functional coding knowledge when it comes to multi-programmer environments, none with environments that include graphics designers, world creation, animators, and running a large world wide business that has (over the course of the game, not so much as the specific studio) been around in excess of 20 years. It's quite the accomplishment even if the current userbase is but a shadow of it's original presence. I also have pretty much no creative oversight and tend to make choices I feel are good as opposed to a business where decisions are not at the programmer level. I solely continue to do what it is I do because people appreciate the work created by Sic and myself and I do my best to continue to try and appeal to as many people as I can without overcomplicating/compromising the goal of simplicity for the user.

If you choose to view me as a master then that is your choice and I thank you for the compliment.

I'm not saying I'm level zero, I'm simply stating that I started learning C/C++ through macroquest. My academic knowledge of programming is not a high bar. While I tend to think through what I'm doing so that it can flow well in a programmatic way and appear to have made good choices when developing the plugins through the guidance of Knightly/Brain and by not being afraid to read a book or google an issue, I would say that I am still a beginner. When I read code by more experienced coders such as Brain/Knightly it's reasonable to expect I'll quickly get lost and it takes a lot of time and google to understand some of the things they are doing.

I'm fairly sure that the developers at daybreak have way more experience than me and that they are more likely to have mistakes in their code because they are part of an organization with deadlines and multiple moving pieces. I'm not excusing any bugs that are pushed out to the public by them, simply stating that it's likely more complicated than it appears on the surface. Where-as I personally have very little functional coding knowledge when it comes to multi-programmer environments, none with environments that include graphics designers, world creation, animators, and running a large world wide business that has (over the course of the game, not so much as the specific studio) been around in excess of 20 years. It's quite the accomplishment even if the current userbase is but a shadow of it's original presence. I also have pretty much no creative oversight and tend to make choices I feel are good as opposed to a business where decisions are not at the programmer level. I solely continue to do what it is I do because people appreciate the work created by Sic and myself and I do my best to continue to try and appeal to as many people as I can without overcomplicating/compromising the goal of simplicity for the user.

If you choose to view me as a master then that is your choice and I thank you for the compliment.

You guys rock...so what you're saying then is...

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Then I go...

Revenge Of The Sith Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

and then we all go...
happy star wars GIF
Revenge Of The Sith Power GIF by Star Wars

Hearsay - What happened to Accendo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back