• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - What editor do you use for macros? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
167¢
I am currently using Notepad++ to create and modify macros. Just curious if there is something better and/or more robust for this purpose. Notepad++ is ok, but I'm sure there's something better out there.

vscode. Grab the mq2 extension from the marketplace, and let np++ die in 1995.

Don't mistake familiarity for simplicity. NP++ is one of the most convoluted editors available; everything is buried in the menu system and setting up anything specific requires arcane knowledge of its inner workings.

vscode is hot right now mostly because it is incredibly simple, most everything just works :tm: and it has an extension for everything. Not to mention that everything can be run from a simple command palette, and it's super configurable. It's got everything you could want in an editor (including a vi mode if you're into that!).

I decided to give VSCode a test drive. I DID in fact install the MQ2 extension and it shows as being installed.. Capture2.JPG

When I open an INI file like my ftp bard I see apostrophe's change the default color...Capture.JPG

Any VSCode experts tell me how that's controlled?

TIA!

ini files aren't mq2 (mac and inc files are mq2), that would use an ini extension -- however I think that the apostrophes confuse all ini syntax highlighting because it thinks you are starting a string as per actual ini specifications:
Some implementations allow values to be quoted, typically using double quotes and/or apostrophes. This allows for explicit declaration of whitespace, and/or for quoting of special characters (equals, semicolon, etc.). The standard Windows function GetPrivateProfileString supports this, and will remove quotation marks that surround the values.

ini files aren't mq2 (mac and inc files are mq2), that would use an ini extension -- however I think that the apostrophes confuse all ini syntax highlighting because it thinks you are starting a string as per actual ini specifications:

Thanks for the insight!

After some quick googling I found that if I reassign the VSCode "Language Mode" to "Makefile" my INI files render really nicely! Down in the bottom right corner of VSCode you can select from about 40 different language modes.

Capture3.JPG

Here's the "offending" section in Makefile mode...

Capture4.JPG

So this thread caught my attention and I do like VSCODE for when at my pc. Curious what people are using on IPAD, Pro variant in particular? I gave up laptops a long time ago for my couch time forum browsing for the ipad. But wouldn’t mind tweaking an existing macro on the ipad. Just looking to see if anybody has a preference as I was using notepad - haven’t done any coding since I was in high school, C, 20+ years ago. so just not up to date on which tools have the nice UI/QOL type features.

Question - What editor do you use for macros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back