• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - What do you use for a notes app? (1 Viewer)

Redbot

🖥️💖
RedCents
88,750¢
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm growing tired of OneNote since it doesn't seem to search my notes very well, and am looking for something much simpler. Possibly just a regular folder with text files synced with a cloud service.

What are you using? Is it good?

I use Evernote...and no.

I started on Evernote and transferred everything to OneNote when my primary computer was a Microsoft Surface and I was using the surface pen a lot. OneNote had a lot of sync problems and the search change was garbage though, so I ended up going back to Evernote. Evernote is adequate but I wouldn't rave about it.

dannuic recommended trying out Obsidian (lots of plugins), Zettelkasten (good for search and topic linking), and Notion (thought they're limiting their free tier).

I might not be understanding teh question, but I use Notepad++. The search function is good. You can use regex in the search function to help find stuff, etc. You can search through multiple open notepad++ documents for finding things. You can do side by side comparisons. Thats what I use it for at work. Alot at work. And it just transitioned to home use. I use one note. Though onenote, at work. We use that for documentation and keeping track of huge amounts of information for work stuff. Im not as versed in onenote, but im getting better.

I use excel and a little spiral notebeook like a mead memo and a pencil and that later gets put into excel by hand, then you can add custom headers, filter and sort by your column headers, search works better, can link to images, urls, or other files in a column and do all sorts of stuff.

I use OneNote and it works pretty well if you get Onetastic with it. Formats pages and does all sorts of macros that saves a ton of time.
Hadn't heard of this, maybe some of those search plugins will fix my issues.
someone mentioned the https://obsidian.md/ a few weeks ago, it seems nice, and stuff, but i am terrible at using notes, i just put notes in my luas or macros and forget em about them.
dannuic recommended trying out Obsidian (lots of plugins), Zettelkasten (good for search and topic linking), and Notion (thought they're limiting their free tier).
Trying to find information on Zettelkasten has taken me down a 30 minute rabbithole with terms like "intersectional thinking", but I can't find an app so I take it this is a note-taking process?

I'll probably go with Obsidian because they're dedicated to open file formats. I hate that I have to look for an "export" program to get my writing out of OneNote, and don't want to go through that again.

I'm growing tired of OneNote since it doesn't seem to search my notes very well, and am looking for something much simpler. Possibly just a regular folder with text files synced with a cloud service.

@Redbot
Napoleon Dynamite Liger GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Old tech works best

Spiral notebooks combined with google sheets/docs. I bought a couple of those reusable notebooks you can scan / photo the pages and reuse.

My mind doesnt work in a way that lets me get away with not longhanding everything first.

I use OneNote for personal and work Notebooks, but I got started with it as the cloud app (OneNote for Microsoft 365) and not the old desktop/office app. So my notebooks are all tied and synced with my Microsoft accounts (work and personal). I haven't had any search issues myself and find it works really well. The search actually returns text recognition for keywords on images or screenshots.

I've been using one note for everything for 10 years ish. I can't say I've had much in search issues, except for when I close a notebook and forget to re-open it. as for sync, used to have issues here and there, but after the move to the web/O365 version, I haven't had much on sync since it's all right there already.

I recently started using GoodNotes 6 on a current gen iPad mini w/ apple pencil and a custom planner PDF. I'm not thrilled w/ the whole SaaS model GN6 went to, but $20/yr isn't bad enough to prevent me from using it. So far it's been a pretty painless transition from random scraps of papers/paper towels/nitrile gloves/my hand.

I tried Onenote and Evernote and massive list of other note apps. The only thing I have found that really works for me is an actual physical notebook and pen. I have also started useing those flash cards for shopping lists, list of ts items I am making for someone etc that I can just throw away when done.

@Redbot

You can also try what the current generation is doing…combination of idiocy and social media…be advised…limited storage capacity.,.and unable to edit notes after the fact

Artist Tattoo GIF

OneNote - only because it saves to the cloud and I can update it both at home and at work. Also, as I write screenplays in my spare time, I sometimes use WriterDuet as it is also cloud based.

Tech - What do you use for a notes app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back