• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Funny - We need THIS as required reading to all! (1 Viewer)

There is always the "unplug the computer.. put it back in the box.. take it back to the store...and tell them you are too stupid to own a computer" answer....

I can still remember way back in 1986 when I was the manager at a small computer store in Sacramento while getting my BA in CS ( it was called Information Systems then), programming in Pascal like a boss..... Anyway this lady buys an IBM 5150 from us and wants the deluxe 20mb hard drive! And 640k of Ram, she wants to be hip and have her Grandkids to come over more and thinks a computer will help... So I load it up with all the shareware and games I can find, zork and the works... I deliver it and set it up complete with a DOS txt batch file menu so she can use it easy peasy! I feel good!

A week goes by and this lady calls up the shop and wants to return the pc, she is sure it has a virus and is dangerous! So I call her to smooth things over and hopefully save the sale. I put a lot of work into making her happy! She picks up the phone and I can clearly hear she is inundated with children around her. I ask her some basic questions, like have you purchased a modem.. no, have you bought any shareware floppies (yes floppies!).. no, has anyone else beside the kids used the computer, did anyone else load anything... no.. but she interrupts my questioning, the children in the background now louder then ever... Well you see, all the kids have been playing with it and they have all been sick so it mush have a virus!

I took a deep breath, asked her to turn it off and I would come by and pick it up and refund her monies. In the long run I knew it was a much better bet then the customer service nightmare I would have ahead of me....

Funny - We need THIS as required reading to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back