• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Want to chip my xbox360, need advice (1 Viewer)

isobelle

RedCents
51¢
hey all,

my old xbox1 is still happily chugging away under my TV, but i only use it for FTPing episodes of Lost and Battlestar to it so i can watch them on my TV using XBMC. it has one of the original Xecuters in it that i installed myself. I also put a wiikey in my wii, so i'm not afraid to solder, but i'm not the world's best at it, and it makes me nervous to do it.

I really don't follow the xbox-scene much anymore, and rarely even use my new 360 to play games at all. I'm looking to make room under the TV and free up some inputs, so i want to retire the Xbox1, and give my 360 similar functionality. maybe just make it a media center that i can FTP divx files to, or load a game on the HD to play once in a while. xbox live is completely irrelevant... what's the basic rundown of what i'd need? i see many solder or non-solder kits... ones that flash your DVD firmware, and ones that install where the HD is located that allow you to flash that way, etc...

stuff like:

http://www.mod-chip.com/en/blaster_360.php#desc

or

http://www.mod-chip.com/en/xbox_360_usb.php#desc

i'd basically like to go buy a bigger Hard drive, connect that externally to the 360, and load some sort of media center app on it.

is it even possible to rip games to the HD and play from there? or are DVD firmware flashes only good for playing backed up DVDs etc? i use this thing for exactly zero games, but maybe if the option was there i'd check a few out... as it stands, it's just a retarded DVD player, which the PS3 is fully capable of doing as well.

any info you can toss this way would be schweet.

The 360 got an update recently that`ll let it play divx (not all types tho, plays like 75% of any random ones i have) files off external Hdds (they need to be fat32 tho, I doubt even a mod will let you read ntfs hard drives).

The whole chipping "scene" seems alot more quiet these days, although that might just be me. Im quite impressed at how well the xbox 360 can actually interact with other devices, it even plays music off my ipod, and you can set it up to stream video files off a PC and play files off external hdds.

yeah, after doing more research, i found that apparently you can reflash the DVD firmware to play burned copies of games, but that's as far as the 360 scene goes.

homebrew apps such as XBMC are a pipedream until they can figure out how to run unsigned code, and MS really locked down the 360, learning from the homebrew scene of the 1st generation xbox.

/cry

To be fair they did add some of xbmcs functionality to the 360, but i think this is the future, ms, sony and seem intent on stopping modding, and with closed systems like consoles its pretty easy it seems.

Really if its just a matter of signing programs, dissassemble a microsoft signed game/program, get the assembly for it and put the signed part into the other game. Yeah, there's more to it than that, but its a general idea :)
edit: or even better would be to reflash the firmware so it thinks that everything is signed code.

Really if its just a matter of signing programs, dissassemble a microsoft signed game/program, get the assembly for it and put the signed part into the other game. Yeah, there's more to it than that, but its a general idea :)
edit: or even better would be to reflash the firmware so it thinks that everything is signed code.

that's basically what they've been able to do on the 360... flash the firmware so that is accepts booting backups, but nothing past that... creating apps from the ground up doesn't work, nor dumping stuff to the HD, etc.

but apparently you can DL or burn ISOs and boot those, but that's not really what i'm after. :(

Coworker of mine stated that she was able to chip/mod her 360....I'll see if I can get more info for you, Iso...I've also got an Xbox1 with Xecutor, and enjoy it, use it as a portable media center when I go camping.

You dont "chip" it, you plug it into the sata port of your pc, flash the firmware, and play on live for years without getting bant, for the win.

You need a 12$ VIA sata pci card in most cases

Dude's wife is tellin me they actually did crack it open and replace a chip, yada yada yada. I'm gettin more info, definitely, because from what I've heard, the firmware flash is all you can do, as you stated above. I'll post the goods when I get it, but I'm almost wondering if this girl knows the diff between an old Xbox and a 360.....we'll see.

I am a little confused as to what this thread is about, as I have never "chipped" my Xbox before.

I, unlike the OP, thoroughly enjoy playing my Xbox, specifically Halo 3. From the likes of this thread, does this mean that actually "hacking" the game is possible in the Xbox if you somehow modify it or connect it to the PC as some of you have suggested?

When I say "hacks," I mean aim-hacks or map hacks of the like.

While hacks for xbox games are probably possible with modding an xbox, the main goal is really trying to get extra functionality out of the xbox. In the case of the 360 I dont think theres much happening, probably due to the fact that its trickier to mod. The old xbox had a thriving modding scene, examples of software you could get included media players for divx,dvds, xvid ect, emulators for the megadrive, snes and playstation, and versions of quake and scummvm. I remember having a blast playing all the old snes/megadrive games I put on my xbox with friends ages ago, i think we spent more time playing them than actual xbox games.

Definitely, Oshin. We spent more time on the old NES and "Arcade" style games than anything. To put my piece to bed, my co-worker needs to get her ass back in the kitchen, cuz she sure knows nothing about modding Xbox's. Confirmed all they did was flash the firmware, not install a new chip, etc. So sorry, Iso, I am absolutely no help to you at all.

Tech - Want to chip my xbox360, need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back