• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Bans - VR EQ!?! (1 Viewer)

Realitea

RedCents
208¢
I came across this earlier and was wondering how many of you guys have seen it? It's a fellow that's made some recent strides in getting EQ into VR format. As he mentions in the below video, it's not his main focus, and he's still learning many things about it - but it looks like it could be a lot of fun!
Link to the YT video is here. There is also a reddit post about it, which is how I originally came across it.

Included full URLs below, for those that don't inspect elements - or distrust hyperlinks:
reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/comments/llzr6d/ok_this_is_amazing_work_vr_everquest/
YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsplhgwcYZo&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
It is really the same EQ we play, or a reproduction ?

He mentions, in the video, some situations where things will be a bit different. For instance, when stitching together different areas, things don't always fit well - so some slight modifications are needed. He also mentions some areas where he's taken the time to get everything, all the way down to the tree placement, true to the original.
He's also added things, such as volumetric lighting and, in some areas, hazy fog, as other examples. He also mentioned adding something here-and-there (but not a lot). There is also some voice acting he did himself, just to give more life to some of the NPCs thus far.
This is what readily comes to mind after having watched the video earlier. So, more-or-less, it's the same EQ we play.

Yeah amazing!
Although I have the PS4 VR and I cant do shit now. If I play anything in VR I get sea sick and almost throws up. That sucks. Walking around in EQ would probably work though, and if I would throw up I would continue for a while anyhow =) Would be worth it!

From what I understand there is a project called EQ Lantern that takes the EQ zone files and loads them into Unity3D, i.e. a modern graphics engine. The EQ Lantern team are working on making a titanium style client like what is used on p99 (classic/kunark/velious) in Unity3D. So it is pretty much a true representation of the game as it is being loaded from the official zone files.

This guy has taken it a step further and is using Unity3D to run in VR. Just goes to show what DBG could do with their assets if they had a bit more drive and imagination in their franchise.

This guy has taken it a step further and is using Unity3D to run in VR. Just goes to show what DBG could do with their assets if they had a bit more drive and imagination in their franchise.

The guy in the video is using UE.
More drive and imagination is definitely needed at DBG.

Bans - VR EQ!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back