• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - USB C Clueless (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,792¢
I am scratching my head trying to figure this out and noticed some blood under my fingernails. I play on a laptop and stole a monitor from my son(Gtek F2740C and it's a blessing on my eyes). I really want to add another and place the laptop under my desk. I have tried connecting this monitor from USB C to USB C, USB C to HDMI(using an adapter). There's no issue using HDMI port but I only have 1. The USB C port on the laptop will charge and transfer data. Under Device Manager it's listed as a ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft). The cable and adapter that I purchased for trial and error both say 4K Display. This is out of my expertise and if any of you can straighten this out I would be appreciative. :bang:

The option for graphics support on USB-C is, well, optional. It’s possible that the port you’re using on the laptop doesn’t support graphics output. So the first step would be to verify that it does. Some laptops have both — USB-C ports that have graphics and those that don’t. So if you have multiple ports, you might try a different port.

The monitor you have will work over USB-C direct (as the first instance you tried). Easiest way is probably to look at the specs of the laptop and see, but if you have multiple ports you can just try each of them.

It’s possible that the port you’re using on the laptop doesn’t support graphics output.
That is my thought at this point but still clueless on the situation. This what it says on the MFG site under specs.
1x Type-C USB3.1 Gen2
1x Type-A USB2.0
1x RJ45
1x SD (XC/HC) Card Reader
1x (4K @ 30Hz) HDMI
1x Mini-DisplayPort

If it is USB-C on the laptop, you will want to check the specs and make sure it is a combo port. Some USB-C ports on laptops are not setup to handle video. If it is thunderbolt, which looks like USB-c, make sure the monitor is able to handle thunderbolt.

My laptop has a combo USB-c, so if I want to hook it up to my monitor I have a USB-C to display port cable. Display port is faster than HDMI. By doing that I can bypass that NVidia Optimus crap. The laptop has an RTX3060. Maybe 3070. I forget

I stand corrected. This is what it states on MSI site

USB 3.0 x 2, USB 2.0 x 1, USB 3.1 Type C x 1.
Video Port HDMI (supports 4K@60hz), mDP 1.2 x1
Nothing listed as combo port. The monitor has

DisplayPort / HDMI / Type-C, VESA​

I stand corrected. This is what it states on MSI site

USB 3.0 x 2, USB 2.0 x 1, USB 3.1 Type C x 1.
Video Port HDMI (supports 4K@60hz), mDP 1.2 x1
Nothing listed as combo port. The monitor has

DisplayPort / HDMI / Type-C, VESA​

Which model of MSI? I had a Stealth thin a few years ago which did have thunderbolt on the side. Your USB-c might be a combo of USB-C and display port. If it is you are golden. Get a usb-c to display port cable and enjoy. My current Asus Strix Scar has a rear port that is USB-c that is also carrying the display port video from my dedicated GPU, so I use a USB-c to display port cable when I want to use the monitor. I do that also because my laptop has no Mux switch so if I used HDMI, the signal would go through Optimus which could slow down the signal speed.

Be well. Hope this has been some help.

Which model of MSI?
MSI GE72MVR 7RG-062US
I am thinking it's a no go. I have USB-C to USB-C and that just reports no cable on display. I ordered a mDP to DP and hopefully that will work. I would rather order cables vs a monitor that I can't use. Thank you much for your assistance.

Give a few minutes. If that port supports video, my opinion is USB-c to display port cable would be the best. What I do with no issue.

Ok I am back. I pulled a copy of what I believe to be your owners manual. Looks like you have options. According to what I am seeing you have a dedicated mini DP port in the back. You could get a mini DP to DP cable. Also from what I am seeing the rear USB-c supports Display port signal so you could get a USB-c to display port cable. Here are the sections I am reading

3. Mini-DisplayPort
The Mini-DisplayPort is a miniaturized version of the DisplayPort, with a suitable adapter, the Mini-DisplayPort may be used to drive displays with a VGA, DVI or HDMI interface.

4. USB 3.0/ 3.1 Port (Type C) (optional)
USB 3.0/ 3.1, the SuperSpeed(+) USB, delivers the higher interface speeds for connecting various devices, such as storage devices, hard drives, or video cameras, and offers more advantages over high-speed data transferring.
The slim and sleek USB Type C connector features reversible plug orientation and cable direction, and supports scalable performance to future-proof solution, including USB 3.x, DisplayPort, PCIe, Audio

Hope this helps.

Ok I am back. I pulled a copy of what I believe to be your owners manual. Looks like you have options. According to what I am seeing you have a dedicated mini DP port in the back. You could get a mini DP to DP cable. Also from what I am seeing the rear USB-c supports Display port signal so you could get a USB-c to display port cable. Here are the sections I am reading

Hope this helps.
I honestly think the USB-C is not capable of video. I have gone USB-C to USB-C, USB-C to HDMI and both report as "No Cable" on the monitor. I will know Sunday if the mDP to DP works then I will order another monitor. Thank you again for looking!

I honestly think the USB-C is not capable of video. I have gone USB-C to USB-C, USB-C to HDMI and both report as "No Cable" on the monitor. I will know Sunday if the mDP to DP works then I will order another monitor. Thank you again for looking!

Stick with the mini DP to DP cable. It should be faster. The rear USB-C looks like it needs to be USB-c to DP - not HDMI.

Again, my thoughts are, if the mini DP to DP cable is already ordered, stick with that.

Be well. Happy computing.

I am not positive on this, but to run two separate monitors from a laptop with extended screens (not matching), don't you need a docking station? If you are just matching the screens it might work, but I don't see any advantage to having 2 monitors both displaying EQ?

If am wrong, that's great then I learned something new!

I am not positive on this, but to run two separate monitors from a laptop with extended screens (not matching), don't you need a docking station? If you are just matching the screens it might work, but I don't see any advantage to having 2 monitors both displaying EQ?

If am wrong, that's great then I learned something new!

Is he trying to spread the desktop across monitors? Maybe I read too quickly the other day. I thought he was just trying to hook up an external monitor while in a desktop replacement mode.

Is he trying to spread the desktop across monitors? Maybe I read too quickly the other day. I thought he was just trying to hook up an external monitor while in a desktop replacement mode.
I received the mDP to DP cable today and all is good. What I wanted to accomplish was to get rid of the laptop and have 2 external monitors. Having only 1 HDMI and trying to use the USB-C were the issues. I want one for EQ and one for web browsing. The laptop's 17" was taxing on my eyes. The USB-C-you-later port can be used for....well nothing that I need.... I stole another monitor from my son for a mock setup and it works nicely. Thank you Gents for the help!

I received the mDP to DP cable today and all is good. What I wanted to accomplish was to get rid of the laptop and have 2 external monitors. Having only 1 HDMI and trying to use the USB-C were the issues. I want one for EQ and one for web browsing. The laptop's 17" was taxing on my eyes. The USB-C-you-later port can be used for....well nothing that I need.... I stole another monitor from my son for a mock setup and it works nicely. Thank you Gents for the help!
No worries. Anytime. I can relate to what you are saying about laptops and the eyes. Over the years I have had to use reading glasses so can totally relate to the small fonts on 1920x1080 laptops.

Be well. Glad it all worked out.

Tech - USB C Clueless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back