• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Try LoTR Online for Free! (1 Viewer)

Roguish

RedCents
I'd like access to Lord of the Rings if/when it becomes available.

Open Beta for Lord of the Rings opens on the 6th of April and runs till the 24th. No credit card information or any other payment is required. If you'd like to try it out this is the opportune time.

1. Download the Downloader...

2. Run it to download the almost 4 GB LoTR client/install

3. While you are using that to download the almost 4 GB go here to get yourself a game key code by signing up for Gamespot, you do not need to purchase the premium package for this to work. Once you get the code copy it to your clipboard (select it and press Ctrl = C) and/or write it down.

4. Now go here to create your free account. The first line, Product Key, is that number you have on your clipboard. Use Ctrl+V to paste it into the field if you'd like.

5. Now go here to paste (Ctrl + V) that key code and enter your chosen account information to tie it all together and actually activate the account.

6. Once your 4 GB file is done downloading click the Run button on the downloader to install and run the client. Once that is done you can enter your information and run the patches to get ready for the 6th, when Open Beta begins.

I hope this helps anyone who wanted to join this open bete. I'm usually pretty good in following instructions but this was not so easy. The lotr website is very shady about putting this information out there so I had to do a ton of searching to figure this out, here it all is in simple terms saving you hours of reading and aimless clicking.

fyi - I got a closed beta key and the downloader was so buggy I didnt even get to the point of installing the game !

good luck

i've installed the game and everything, but not able to connect to the servers,, they are ethier closed or down..

i've installed the game and everything, but not able to connect to the servers,, they are ethier closed or down..

The servers are open on the 6th of April - 24th of April. Unless you live somewhere wierd, it is only the 3rd today :)

Yeah I posted this early so whoever wanted to could take advantage of it for it's full 2 weeks +. You can patch before the 6th however but you're correct, the servers are down for a few hours for maintenance.

I should also note that LoTR has learned from all the other MMORPGs in that they are not announcing times the servers will be up, just dates. That way they don't have 12,000 logging on all at the same time.

We do not have a LoTR section right now.

If we do get one, then I will move this back into this section, but for now, it will be moved to general.

Can't give access to something that doesn't exist :)

Thank you Red! :) I don't really need free access to anything I just wanted to get this info out there and if (and I hope it does happen) a LotR section does open up soon I'd like to get a sneak peak before I subscribe to it. I've been thinking about getting a WoW sub too but I'm already not too impressed with the game and I think if I started exploiting it it would be even more boring for me. EQ is still the only game that keeps my interest even in the middle of all this GKing, man it's so hard to get off the crack...

Ya, I have been waiting for LoTR online for years now. Hope it lives up to all of the hype.

It will be hard though with Warhammer and other games like that that seem to overshadow it.

Some initial thoughts on LOTR

Hello, I've tried the Lotr Online game and find it refreshing to see new material and give me a break from Warcraft. While the game will offer a refuge from burnt out WOW players I'm not sure it has the legs to make it in the long run. The game is PVE with a side of PVP thrown in. The Monster Play (PVP) as they call it does look enticing. Supposedly you can temporarily convert your level 10 player into a level 40 to 50 monster and fight other high level players in some PVP realm.

I have started a hunter and captain and leveled them both to 6 in about an hour each hardly breaking a sweat. I give it a good rating for playability, freshness, and graphics and below average for difficulty so far.

I get the feel of an old game from playing LOTR and it's not a bad feel. It's somewhat reminiscent of a highly advanced Baldur's Gate with a mix of WOW thrown in.

Maybe I'm dreaming that a good online game can make it that doesn't require the total immersion such as WOW. I just don't want to (or can't) give the hours it takes to play WOW anymore.

Anywho, I'm enjoying it for now. I'll try to give a report when I hit level 15. Then I will have to decide to buy the game or be stuck in beta at that level.

Try LoTR Online for Free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back