• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - TOV How are Classes Looking? (1 Viewer)

Steelz

RedCents
176¢
Hi all,

I've been debating adding a melee dps as a backup to swap in for one of my Mages in my second group on occasion and was wondering if any classes are looking really strong at this point on the beta. I've seen people randomly mention a few are potentially looking really good, like Rogues, but I have not seen any posts here or on the EQ forums giving any kind of reasons why some classes may be looking good/bad.

Ultimately I know any of this is speculative until TOV actually goes live but was curious if people are seeing any flavor of the month dps potentials or if just tossing in a Zerker is a safe bet.

I have been running around with an SK, BRD, CLR, BER,BER,BER and have been having mixed results. 1 or 2 mobs on me is cake, 3 or more than I almost always die as they destroy any of the other toons except for my SK and it takes a moment to get aggro on mobs that add from a distance and are not bunched up. The aggro range is huge in some areas. With my setup the mobs die in similar times to most TBL mobs. I might swap out a BER for a SHM for survivability. These things hit real hard, a 110 BER with full T3 TBL gear and over 30k AA can get 1 rounded on a multiple pull if they somehow get aggro. I set my engage to 99 on all toons as they have a lot of hps.

I tried a named in EW2 and died when I got 2 adds. I was doing ok with 1 add but the named made a smoke trial named seem like they were a trash mob. I didn't even notice HT! Are we in the hundred million hp range now on named?

I haven't found any camps that are all undead yet that have enough spawns to make using a PAL or swapping to undead based stuff on my SK. I don't have any good kiss ini for my ROG and don't have MQ2Rogue so I haven't tested them yet but I don't see them being better than a third BER. If you had any problems killing stuff in TBL go with a second healer. I prob will until closer to 115 and some shiny new gear.

Pathing in CC and the mines is worse than Stratos. I literally have yet to get past even 1 bridge without someone falling off to their death. The mesh files need work or you have to run toons individually. The toons bunching up and bouncing off each other thing is what causes them to jump off I think.

The new gear doesn't look that amazing to me. Not like conflag vs TBL T3 for instance. More like cohort vs selrach. I think AA and level will mean more than gear if you have TBL T3.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but hopefully the information helps you decide what direction you want to go.

Definitely a helpful reply, I appreciate it.

My main group currently is SK, SHM, BRD, MAG, MAG, BER. They are all, if not close, to max AA. The tank is geared ok, I think, he has about 7900ac when group buffed.

My second group is SK, CLR, ENC, MAG, MAG, MAG. I've built this crew over the last 3 weeks so they are all around 24k AA.

I was initially thinking about getting my main group to 115 and start doing AA's right away while the second group sat back in older content for a little bit longer and maxed AA. But after hearing how these mobs are hitting I'm almost wondering if I might have to toss the Cleric in my main group, like you mentioned, and dump one of the Mages until I get some gear at 115.

From your experiences I think it may be good for me to hold off on adding anything to Group 2 for now until I see what adjustments my main group is going to need to progress efficiently.

Last edited:
I was debating GMM as well. I think it was an older post but I believe I saw that if you don't loot the chest and just drop the mission you don't get any lockout. If that's still true I may give that a shot first.

It still worked as of last week. Kill everything in hmm instance that gives xp and skip the chest. Can keep getting the mission.
I plan on running it until max level. Probably a few thousand AA as well. I have a second group in my fellowship that will be running a gmm macro and feeding my main group xp to help out

I can tell you that right now the Rogue's are extremely weak in ToV, but they haven't got many aa and no new disc's as of the last time I played their a couple days ago. My DPS actually dropped from TBL to equivelant ToV mob. As for the SK it's DPS shot through the roof.

There's also this from Ngreth, which seems like them already making everything a lot easier for all classes.

"While making the ToV mobs easier, one of the changes we made will have the side effect of making RoS, And TBL mobs easier. The big change is in the strike through number which (before we changed it) grew through those expansions. The change is based on NPC LEVEL more than the expansion the NPC is in, so EoK will be small to negligible change (*maybe* some of the higher level rares will be easier, but not much change will happen, and it may not be noticeable) while RoS and TBL will see a larger change.

NOTE this is ONLY a change to "group" base-pop and rares. Raid mobs are unchanged and still have an effective 100% strikethrough.

This is *NOT * a change to spells on the NPC, so the spells will be as difficult as they are. This only makes a difference on the melee damage they do.

This change will go live with the Expansion patch. "

It still worked as of last week. Kill everything in hmm instance that gives xp and skip the chest. Can keep getting the mission.
I plan on running it until max level. Probably a few thousand AA as well. I have a second group in my fellowship that will be running a gmm macro and feeding my main group xp to help out
Nice! Hopefully it stays that way for release lol.

And if all else fails you can always swap the berzerker into your group, and then have your mage assist you from out of group with their own healer merc keeping them up from AoEs. (For noninstanced content anyway).

When you get bored of flipping GMM a nice exp camp is Howling Stones near the entrance to Sathirs Tomb. Lots of mobs to pull in the area. Exp per mob is less than GMM but if you can handle the rooms when full, 6 mobs or so at times, you can get some really fast AA there. It's kind of a pain to get to but I think it is worth the trip if you have time to play for a few hours. The pathing is weird but once you figure it out they kind of pull groups of 4 or 5 for you at times. The mobs like to run south and east and make the same loop regardless of where you pull from with the exception of the mobs in the west rooms or straight north. Pull those first. I camp in the middle room with the trapped floor that is up a stepped center area. Pull the room you are in, camped next to the west door, then the west rooms, then east rooms, and then the south room. One named pops in the south room and another in the hallway to the north. One roamer passes through the door so don't go afk there. Campfire out if you need a break unless you use kiss and set ma to not pull far from camp.

When you get bored of flipping GMM a nice exp camp is Howling Stones near the entrance to Sathirs Tomb. Lots of mobs to pull in the area. Exp per mob is less than GMM but if you can handle the rooms when full, 6 mobs or so at times, you can get some really fast AA there. It's kind of a pain to get to but I think it is worth the trip if you have time to play for a few hours. The pathing is weird but once you figure it out they kind of pull groups of 4 or 5 for you at times. The mobs like to run south and east and make the same loop regardless of where you pull from with the exception of the mobs in the west rooms or straight north. Pull those first. I camp in the middle room with the trapped floor that is up a stepped center area. Pull the room you are in, camped next to the west door, then the west rooms, then east rooms, and then the south room. One named pops in the south room and another in the hallway to the north. One roamer passes through the door so don't go afk there. Campfire out if you need a break unless you use kiss and set ma to not pull far from camp.

I’ve had a mage camped at the ST zone line for almost two years :)

I recommend not doing AFK exp in HS or ST ... it’s too busy, and at this point everyone knows that GMM, ST, and similar zones are some of the best exp spots. You can bet they’re going to be busy when ToV drops.

I know that this is a little older zone but Chardok is a good zone for exp and it's usually empty because it's off the beaten path. I decided to do old expansion when ToV drops and do old progression so that I can get all the ac boost I can get. That's only because I used to hate doing progression and finally realized how much of an advantage it can be. That's just my 2cp.

^^
Ditto to this. The AC boost from the older progression is worth it alone but with the evolving items many of us are hitting old zones anyway again!

It's worth noting that the ToV tradeskill quest / evolving earring quest / augment quest / powersource quest (this is all the same quest, but different points throughout) will require ToV progression (missions, etc.) to fully evolve. Essentially, each tier has an evolving phase AND a tradeskill component.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately, if you're like me and had been actually preparing for this bullshit) the quest won't be ready on launch day, so Ngreth will need to add it in later. Because now DBG is in the business of selling incomplete expansions at fully completed expansion prices.

Yikes

Well, if Ngreth chooses to not upgrade the luck on the evolving items, you're better off waiting for ToV and gearing up those slots with luck 10 stuff (for most classes). Luck adds more to all dps classes than a few extra AC, HPs, Mana, and even heroics. There's a great table someone from RoI shared about how luck scales and just how important it can be to a toon.

My point ... watch the forums for Ngreth's decision on the evolving items and luck. If he keeps them at 5, then skip them (imo).

I run warrior, bard, and cleric with 3 rogue mercs. I am gonna go check out ToV when it drops and see if I can manage there if not its back to TBL but all the vultures will have gone on to better things.

I’ve been on break for a few months. Is it worth coming back and grabbing the expansion at this point?

I think so! I'm really enjoying ToV. Lots of people are still doing the missions because they give so much damn experience. The gear is way better than earlier expansions, and the zones look great. All zones are open to you immediately... no progression just to see certain zones. Exception is ToFS, which does have keyed levels (easy to get, though).

Downside is going from 111 to 115 is a super long process if you're not doing the missions/merc/partisan quests. Grinding in an exp group from 111 to 115 is not likely to happen because the per-mob regular exp is REALLY low. DBG may change this coming up, though.

Only thing for me is that a few guildies have completed all the content so far. However, I do stuff slow so it doesn't bother me and I believe they are releasing more content in February.

I don't think more content is being released, unless you mean the TS quest, which goes live this week.

Question - TOV How are Classes Looking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back