• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Too much memory usage on new laptop (1 Viewer)

Ninjapickle

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
1,307¢
I feel like I must be forgetting something simple here. Got a new laptop yesterday and getting stuff set up on NEXT. It's a solid laptop, i7 11800h processor ad 16gb of ram. I have 7 toons loaded and am at 84% memory usage. My crappy laptop I replaced only had 12gb ram and could load 12 toons without using that much ram. Am I forgetting something obvious? It's been a bit since I started from scratch.

The frame limiter might need some tweaking. Here's Sic's demo on it: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/mqnext-framelimiter-demo.78448/
Beyond that, no need to have all the settings cranked on the bots for those times you do tab over to do a quick thing. Turn off all the fancy graphics and sound

Last I checked you'll still want to add in the -1 in the eq ini for all your cores.

Thread here: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/everquest-lag-problem-fix-processor-affinity.68604/

The frame limiter might need some tweaking. Here's Sic's demo on it: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/mqnext-framelimiter-demo.78448/
Beyond that, no need to have all the settings cranked on the bots for those times you do tab over to do a quick thing. Turn off all the fancy graphics and sound

Last I checked you'll still want to add in the -1 in the eq ini for all your cores.

Thread here: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/everquest-lag-problem-fix-processor-affinity.68604/
-1 is for the cpu usage, isn't it? My cpu usage is low, and I've already set the frame limiter in NEXT.

-1 is for the cpu usage, isn't it? My cpu usage is low, and I've already set the frame limiter in NEXT.
It is, but I know it's a thing you want to do when you are setting up a fresh box that isn't done for you by Next. With that said, how much Ram is each instance using? I'm thinking for most people it should be around 300 megs. Just wondering if some other windows process is what's freaking out.

Do I just no longer understand which hardware does what these days? The part that confuses me most is everything is set the same as it is on the old laptop and even on my pc's but only this laptop has ram issues.

It is, but I know it's a thing you want to do when you are setting up a fresh box that isn't done for you by Next. With that said, how much Ram is each instance using? I'm thinking for most people it should be around 300 megs. Just wondering if some other windows process is what's freaking out.
Maybe I need to set up the old laptop beside it and compare the usages

I feel like I must be forgetting something simple here. Got a new laptop yesterday and getting stuff set up on NEXT. It's a solid laptop, i7 11800h processor ad 16gb of ram. I have 7 toons loaded and am at 84% memory usage. My crappy laptop I replaced only had 12gb ram and could load 12 toons without using that much ram. Am I forgetting something obvious? It's been a bit since I started from scratch.
One thing i noticed on my laptop is i had to turn off the sounds engine. Since i was running 6-10 instances of EQ, the laptop was trying to process all of the sounds for each instance. even with turning off the sound ingame, windows didnt care and still i had high usage. Once i turned it off, i was able to have better temps and memory usage! Hope this helps

I think I figured it out. I just discovered that EQ is running off of the onboard graphics, which will share ram usage, instead of the frigging 3050 ti card. Not sure why, but now to figure that out.

Ok lets try this again.

Onboard card is more then enough to run EQ (it's what I use as I found running my graphics card did not improve performance and was super noisy)

Please tell us how much Ram Each EQ instance is using. If it's under I'd say 500megs per instance this isn't an EQ or Next issue but another service Windows is running that's eating you up.

What have you done that's been suggested so far... So we can scratch those off the list of things we don't need to focus on.

oh and have you put in excepectations for eqgame.exe and it's folders for windows defender. That one was killing me for a while.

M5200 card here. It's not your GeForce causing EQ not to run on the GeForce.
I checked with nvidia and their support says it isn't supported. It could simply be this specific card, I didn't ask about others. He simply said EQ isn't an nvidia supported game. Eq also didn't recognize it. Research showed others with the same issue. I guess that's enough for me, though. Your M5200 was released 10 years ago, maybe that's a difference in support? Idk.

I checked with nvidia and their support says it isn't supported. It could simply be this specific card, I didn't ask about others. He simply said EQ isn't an nvidia supported game. Eq also didn't recognize it. Research showed others with the same issue. I guess that's enough for me, though. Your M5200 was released 10 years ago, maybe that's a difference in support? Idk.
I didn't know. Thanks

When I get a new machine I install EQ from scratch, then copy/paste my EQ folder from my old machine over top the EQ folder on my new machine to make sure all my settings (and other stuff) is coming over correctly, might be something you want to try if you haven't yet.

install WinEQ 2.0, this made me be able to run 10+ accounts on 8 gigs of ram on a old ddr2 motherboard for a solid six years. i couldnt run +4 without that program. and it wasent even the paid version either.

this is a thread i wrote back in 2015 that shows some of the small things i did on terrible hardware.

also, each zone requires different amounts of ram, the older the zones the less ram eq uses.

Last edited:
install WinEQ 2.0, this made me be able to run 10+ accounts on 8 gigs of ram on a old ddr2 motherboard for a solid six years. i couldnt run +4 without that program. and it wasent even the paid version either.

this is a thread i wrote back in 2015 that shows some of the small things i did on terrible hardware.

also, each zone requires different amounts of ram, the older the zones the less ram eq uses.
I used wineq 2.0 a while in the past. With 'next' we got the frame-limiter who, for my feeling, does a better job in reducing needed ressources than any other available tool.

Tech - Too much memory usage on new laptop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back