• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - The Daybreak EverQuest team is now known as Darkpaw Games (1 Viewer)

RedCents
83¢
Announced less than an hour ago: https://www.everquest.com/news/darkpaw-games-producers-letter-2020

A very fitting name! Here's to hoping for some very positive focus and improvements to the game we all love

Welcome to our first bark as Darkpaw Games!

Unsurprisingly, our motto is “Never Give Up” given that our studio name is borne from our beloved in-game character, Fippy Darkpaw – the gnoll that won’t quit. For over 20 years he’s been fighting the good fight for his tribe. Same goes for our studio, our games, and our tenacious players.

We are the OG. The passionate. The dedicated. And the proud! Grrr….Bark Bark…Grrr.

I’m sure you want to know what this change means…

Darkpaw Games will operate autonomously and focus on the EQ franchise, its community, and its future. I will be at the head of Darkpaw and Daybreak will be our publisher with its incredible support and operations teams we’ve come to know and love over the years.

We will work toward expanding the franchise and invest in our future as a studio.

Currently, nothing will change for your accounts and membership. No worries there.

Our staff has grown a bit and we’ll continue to adjust as Darkpaw evolves and grows into its development strategy and vision. What’s that, you ask? To create immersive entertainment that is socially driven and diverse, enriches lives and fuels imagination.

That vision comes from decades of working with and listening to our communities about how EverQuest games have impacted, changed, and enhanced their lives. We want to continue it. It’s what we do best.
Immediately, and in practical terms, our focus is on the fans and investing in our current games and the business of starting new ones. We’re already executing on the plans we had for 2020, like expansions and events for EQ and EQ2.

We’ll start evaluating the interest in, and logistics of, a fan faire and move forward with that as soon as possible.

More than anything, we want to deliver on what players love and go even further. We are going to think outside the box a bit, so hold onto your tails!

This month, we plan to sell a limited run of our EverQuest 20th and EverQuest II 15th anniversary shirts on Amazon. If it goes well, we’ll keep exploring official product ideas. We’ll send out links and details as soon as we have them!

EverQuest’s first anniversary in its THIRD decade will come in March and we’ve got plans for that, so stay tuned! EverQuest II has its own plans that will roll out soon – Yeehaw!

Now, with all my heart, thank YOU! We hope you continue to embrace us as we grow into our indie paws. We want to communicate in new ways with our own Darkpaw voice, too. Many of you are familiar with our personalities and we want to live our best life as gamers and developers with you.

Join the pack! More news as it comes!

Sincerely, as ever,
Holly “Windstalker” Longdale
Executive Producer, Darkpaw Games

“Never Give Up”

Last edited:
Holly is in the second row on the left kind of in the center. Almost all of them look as if they were forced into having that picture taken. Do they hate their jobs that much?

Holly is in the second row on the left kind of in the center. Almost all of them look as if they were forced into having that picture taken. Do they hate their jobs that much?
Its actually the opposite. Imagine you're sitting there trying to do work and you have to get up in middle of your thing for a PR picture oh wait you have to go put on this tshirt and sweater. Sometimes meetings and such are a pain in the ass when you're trying to get things done. I like this kind of thing but some people just want to get work done when they go to work.

Well only the shadow knows if this is a good or a bad thing. Hopefully it is good. Everyone looks crabby in the pic but I would be too if they drug me in for a photo op. So not going to judge anything by the pic. Just keep Everquest going..I am too old to see the sun.

EQ's success has been cannibalized to support other projects since release, my hope is that an EQ-focused studio will keep more of its own resources.

It is funny to see how they word it once again :-)
"Currently, nothing will change for your accounts and membership. No worries there. "

Afair the wording was similiar when restructurings happened in the past about how they will see about layoffs :(

Last edited:
It is funny to see how they word it once again :-)
"Currently, nothing will change for your accounts and membership. No worries there. "

Afair the wording was similiar when restructurings happened in the past about how they will see about layoffs :(

Isn't it funny how one little word could mean so much?

Isn't it funny how one little word could mean so much?
by all what it means: YES :-)
Seriously ... folks bought lifetime for "All Access" and not for a specific game and daybreak made sure to also use "currently" :-)

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/daybreak-winter-extravaganza-december-18-31.253382/ said:
... lock in lifetime membership benefits in every All Access game with the Lifetime* All Access Membership! All Access currently includes DC Universe Online, EverQuest, EverQuest 2, and PlanetSide 2.
*For the life of the participating game(s).
(bolding and size-changes by me)

I had discussions about such things with them many years ago when it was about the "promotional rates". They came up with exactly such little words used ...
So - I do not trust them at all.

For what it's worth much of the account bits cab still stay with DBG as the publisher as they'll be the ones actually accepting the money anyway. It'll then be up to their arrangement with their content creation studios on how to handle that. Arguably the split in and of itself really matters more for the dev teams themselves vs the parent publisher. This is similar to Responsibility Centered Accounting in other organizations.

Massively has some interesting article about this, too.

didn't find something like that on EQ or EQ2 forums yet - so ...
For DCUO they put up a FAQ.

"...
Q: Are these separate and individual companies from Daybreak?
A: At this time, each studio is operated as an individual franchise business unit within Daybreak, with its own name, identity and mission statement.
..."
Oh yeah "at this time" ;-)

Massively has some interesting article about this, too.

didn't find something like that on EQ or EQ2 forums yet - so ...
For DCUO they put up a FAQ.

"...
Q: Are these separate and individual companies from Daybreak?
A: At this time, each studio is operated as an individual franchise business unit within Daybreak, with its own name, identity and mission statement.
..."
Oh yeah "at this time" ;-)
Or in my lexicon know as weasel words.

Oh and krono is in the same realm as lifetime subscriptions only usable on the games DB supports.

Last edited:
EQ's success has been cannibalized to support other projects since release, my hope is that an EQ-focused studio will keep more of its own resources.

They're already siphoning our money for another everquest project:

my WoW guild has someone who claims to have worked on the project and said, (and I quote): (This quote is in reference to the video above; someone linked it in discord and he commented on it)

That big list is a garbled mess of true, near-true, and wrongness.
No one internally has said the words "EQ3" in my hearing.
The entire company knows very well that they don't have the specialized expertise to compete in the battle royale genre they helped create.
The EQ team in particular hates the idea of an EverQuest battle royale anything.
They'd probably rather do EverQuest poker than EverQuest battle royale. (jk)
Whoever that "employee" was didn't work on the EQ team.
Everything he's saying from Windstalker is 100% accurate.
There is a next EverQuest game and it's called EQD so far. It's not a battle royale. It's not an MMORPG. It is pretty cool and fun so far.
EQNext was real but a long way from finished and wasn't really finishable.

Ohhh I am liking this part : revealed the studios as part of its long-term strategy to "amplify the existing franchises" in its stable, "

The only real news I am waiting for is the separation of EQ and EQII to be honest.
While the EQ dev team is a bunch of nice and cool folks, the EQII team is - well ... They are too far away from the playerbase to say the least.

Few other folks touched upon it. I work for a health care system - it's definitely a system with a list of disregarded LLCs, misc quantity of subsidiaries dba as xyz, and a few other entities broken out to keep their costs captured in what would otherwise be unrelated taxable business income areas. Globally we are a not for profit, so the breakout is not only for 990 reporting ease of tracking, but we also use it to gauge if our status for reporting and compliance is comparable to just paying taxes. It also allows the board to map out segmented costing at an entity level.

News - The Daybreak EverQuest team is now known as Darkpaw Games

Users who are viewing this thread

Back