• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Supplement main machine with 2nd machine headless? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
318¢
I've been running 6-7 toons on a $300 refurb laptop. I'm thinking of adding a few more toons, but my current machine is definitely at its limit. Six runs well but I get CPU stutter with the 7th. I don't really want to build a gaming rig or buy a higher end laptop so was thinking of sticking a few miscellaneous DPS toons on a headless mini PC. For those running a setup like this, any recommendations or things I should be aware of? I don't have everything 100% automated for things like NPC turn ins and the like so I do need to be able to interact with the toon (RDP? VNC? Parsec?) in some fashion on limited occasions.

I've been running 6-7 toons on a $300 refurb laptop. I'm thinking of adding a few more toons, but my current machine is definitely at its limit. Six runs well but I get CPU stutter with the 7th. I don't really want to build a gaming rig or buy a higher end laptop so was thinking of sticking a few miscellaneous DPS toons on a headless mini PC. For those running a setup like this, any recommendations or things I should be aware of? I don't have everything 100% automated for things like NPC turn ins and the like so I do need to be able to interact with the toon (RDP? VNC? Parsec?) in some fashion on limited occasions.
@Darkwynd3 , Check out the article with the 200-300$ minicomputers someone posted the other day from Amazon...they look legit for just this purpose

My personal advice...find yourself a lenovo T420 or T430 (Thinkpads) in craiglists somewhere for 20$...put a $30 500 MGB solid state drive and 16 Gig of Ram into it for like another $40 and own shit...

Mine runs 18 (with framelimiter and reduced settings) before it starts to heat-up/stutter...if if breaks i'll just pull another one from the pile of refurbs I have from my old job and start over...this one's been running strong almost 24/7 at 18+ eq screens for 3 years...

If you wanna level that up find a decent cooling pad to sit it on...

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

@Darkwynd3 , Check out the article with the 200-300$ minicomputers someone posted the other day from Amazon...they look legit for just this purpose

My personal advice...find yourself a lenovo T420 or T430 (Thinkpads) in craiglists somewhere for 20$...put a $30 500 MGB solid state drive and 16 Gig of Ram into it for like another $40 and own shit...

Mine runs 18 (with framelimiter and reduced settings) before it starts to heat-up/stutter...if if breaks i'll just pull another one from the pile of refurbs I have from my old job and start over...this one's been running strong almost 24/7 at 18+ eq screens for 3 years...

If you wanna level that up find a decent cooling pad to sit it on...

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
I’m a little reluctant to go 7th gen or older Intel because of the EOL date on Windows 10, but that’s certainly an option.

I really like the Beelink mini PCs. I have 2 I bought on Amazon. They are overkill for 6+ boxing IMO. I would not buy them at full price, they go on sale all the time. Amazon product ASIN B0C4GWLBTS
nice...yup those, they were running at 229-299$ black friday - cyber monday...for like 8 cores 16gb ram, 500 ssd...might still be out there...or go buy 3 lenovos crapbooks with the memory and ssd's and box 54...on 3 crapbooks pro

I did mess around with Parsec on a 2nd laptop and that seemed to work pretty well. I've got an old tower I might resurrect for the short term, but I think a micro pc like the beelink or something similar headless makes the most sense.

Question - Supplement main machine with 2nd machine headless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back