• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Suggestions on VC for VG (1 Viewer)

aces

RedCents
my 4year old APG only motherboard is finally gonna be retired as i set forth to build a new system. Play eq1 atm w/ 3 accounts and will mess around there some i'm sure, but wanna head back to VG.

I got on opening day, then slowly worked my war upto lvl 10. The zone i was in crashed, and it has been downhill eversince to the point i had to cancel my subscription :~(

Anyways, was hoping for suggestions on cards that you have been happy with during your VG encounters.

I'm currently leaning to the Nvidia 8800 640mb card, but the pricetag is abit much, and was wondering if getting 2 7300GT 512 (for much cheaper than then single card) cards and running in SLI mode would be best?

How significant is the memory interface pin size thingy that is more than doubled on the new 640mb VC?

Any suggestions will be appreciated, and thanks in advance for your time.

Peace,
AceS

I have an fx5500 card in a p4 3 ghz system 1 40gig and 2-80 gig in raid to look like 160 gig hd. think my system is good enough? I got it off ebay for about 300 with the shipping and added my 40 gig hd to it.

System will do fine, once you get a new vid card.

I do not believe the fx5 series supports shader models, so yeah your looking at a painful exp to play.

find an new card and you will be gtg.

came with a full gig but MB specs I saw online when I looked it up said could hold 2 gig.
Its my second card. had a lesser card but it didnt last a year, this one was bigger had a fan on it and has made it a yeal :) I was happy with that lol. Will check into other cards

I run a Prescott 3Ghz (extremely powerful single core), 2GB ram, GeForce 6800XT (256MB, 256 bit), SATA 2 hdd and my machine barely runs it on the lowest settings. If you were looking for a benchmark, my box probably sets the lowest mark the game can successfully be run at :)

Kuk, your bottleneck is your video card.

you can also use the /flush command when things to really sutter.

jstbilly said:
Kuk, your bottleneck is your video card.

you can also use the /flush command when things to really sutter.

Well, my brother has a Opty165 (dual core), 2GB corsair XMS ram, 7900GTO volt-modded and has the same type of "lag spurts". It will run fine, then all of a sudden (maybe when it loads new textures into memory?) hit a lag spike and freeze up for a few seconds, then back to normal. I blame most of the lag more on the programming of the game rather than the hardware supporting it, because his machine should not have any lag.

As for /flush, I don't have lag problems that are persistent, they are temporary freezes that fix themselves within a few seconds (i.e. opening doors, visiting a city for the first time during game play, entering a heavily populated area etc). Biggest help to me was defragmenting the hdd and working with the configuration file (http://vanguard.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=499).

Using custom UI's will significantly lower your FPS aswell, either play with default or try one with DDS instead of TGA graphic files.

Not sure what your priceline is on Graphics card, my main machine runs it with everything maxed and lag free on dual 1GB Radeon 9670's, however, my laptop with a Geforce actually runs it better on 512 MB. Primary difference being VG doesn;t fully support multiple Gcards except in SLI, but the other being they never fully clean up their coding, just streamline with Nvidia. I would say spend a little more on the single higher end card, especially if it is a higher memory type, you'll get more performance out of less graphics ram if it is a more recent higher end memory type.

Suggestions on VC for VG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back