• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Suggestions for a New Computer (1 Viewer)

RedCents
191¢
Hi All,

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I'm looking for a new machine in 2024 that will be pretty much dedicated to EQ, and I'd like to be able to run as many as 54 characters (maybe more if I continue to lose my mind).

This thread from a few years ago was very useful for me:
From that thread I saw a box that was recommended was the Minisforum HX90 with 64gb ram.

I did an Amazon search for "mini computer" and then narrowed the search to 64gb ram.
From that list, and influenced by the above RG discussion, here is what I'm considering:

Edit: Strangely the link above didn't show any sort of preview. In case you don't want to click in, the title for the box that I'm looking at looks like:

MINISFORUM Venus UM790 Pro Mini PC AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS up to 5.2 GHz 64GB DDR5 1TB SSD with AMD Radeon 780M, 4X USB3.2, 2X USB4, 2xHDMI 2.1, 2X PCIe4.0, Wi-Fi 6E/BT5.3, RJ45 2.5 G​

Is there anything that I'm missing that would make the above a bad choice? Are there better choices out there?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd go with 128GB at this point. The creep over the years has come to a point where I am nearly approaching 90% usage on my 64gb when having 40 clients loaded. You'll be hurting with 54 with 64gb now unless you're doing some serious skimping on client optimization.

Also Ryzen is what I'd go with now instead of intel. EQ just seems bloated now compared to few years ago.

I plan to have 2 EQ installs, one for my main guy that I drive, and a separate one with massively dialed down settings (no particles, low textures, etc.). Still it is a good precaution. I guess I'd need to buy a 0 ram device and add 128 in myself since the ones I've seen online all seem to max out at 64gb.

I know its not 54 but people can use this judgement to build off of this to be better than my shit ass.

I can run 24 toons with Frame Limiter on. Wish I could do more. Generally, I can run 18 toons no issues nonstop, but can push 24 to do some raids then I dumb it down to 18. Very cheap set up and got me moving in the 3 box group of Redguides, Built my entire thing from Case to Screens to Keyboard for $1250

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI B5500m Pro-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
32GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060

Just ordered new parts, been 10yrs since ive bought a desktop
Couldnt find anyone talking about EQ + AMD x3d, the 7900x3d 6+8 core was only like 50$ more than the 7800x3d 8+0, but no clue how EQ schedules across the high cache cores and low cache cores

IRL - Suggestions for a New Computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back