• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Serious - Sometimes we just lose. (1 Viewer)

RedCents
4,025¢
First, I’m sorry to be posting this but I feel somewhat close or wired in, for lack of better words, to this community. Though I do not know your real names or post as often as some, I do read the forums almost daily and feel I have a connection to people on this site. In some ways its like a family of strangers united in an interest of playing an outdated game that we all feel nostalgic for in one way or another. That being said, I would like to share something that is personal to me in hopes that it might help me digest the reality of something I cannot change.

This past Tuesday I got a text message telling me that a friend of mine was in a motorcycle accident, and though paramedics gave him CPR, he died at the scene. He was 47.

First and foremost, he was a husband and father of two teenagers, with a master’s degree in Cyber Security, and a 5-year Army Combat Veteran. His first love was his family, and his second love (since he was 18) was motorcycles. He put more miles on different motorcycles then I have on all the cars, trucks and motorcycles I’ve owned combined. So, his accident just does not make sense to me but even I know, the most experienced riders are not impervious to the unknown ahead of them. One could make the argument that its just a matter of time.

The world, to me, just got a little bit darker this week. He was a co-worked, a mentor, someone that was always calm in the heat of the moment and could always see reason in chaos. He helped me become a better person. I will miss and remember him. He was my friend.

--Taz

I am not asking anyone for help but if you would like to do something for our veterans, please consider donating. If you do donate, please do not post about it, Keep your donation anonymous. Here are some suggestions, please do your own research.

https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
https://www.chriskylememorialbenefit.com/

Sorry for the loss, thoughts go out to his family. Hate it when a fellow vet or anypreson for that matter loses their life like this. Makes me sad.

First, I’m sorry to be posting this but I feel somewhat close or wired in, for lack of better words, to this community. Though I do not know your real names or post as often as some, I do read the forums almost daily and feel I have a connection to people on this site. In some ways its like a family of strangers united in an interest of playing an outdated game that we all feel nostalgic for in one way or another. That being said, I would like to share something that is personal to me in hopes that it might help me digest the reality of something I cannot change.

This past Tuesday I got a text message telling me that a friend of mine was in a motorcycle accident, and though paramedics gave him CPR, he died at the scene. He was 47.

First and foremost, he was a husband and father of two teenagers, with a master’s degree in Cyber Security, and a 5-year Army Combat Veteran. His first love was his family, and his second love (since he was 18) was motorcycles. He put more miles on different motorcycles then I have on all the cars, trucks and motorcycles I’ve owned combined. So, his accident just does not make sense to me but even I know, the most experienced riders are not impervious to the unknown ahead of them. One could make the argument that its just a matter of time.

The world, to me, just got a little bit darker this week. He was a co-worked, a mentor, someone that was always calm in the heat of the moment and could always see reason in chaos. He helped me become a better person. I will miss and remember him. He was my friend.

--Taz

I am not asking anyone for help but if you would like to do something for our veterans, please consider donating. If you do donate, please do not post about it, Keep your donation anonymous. Here are some suggestions, please do your own research.

Sorry for your loss @taz6two

There aren’t many ways to deal with loss other than time. It often seems unfair and even cruel when we think about the harshness of loss, regardless of the conditions. I’m sorry for your loss.

There are a couple of lines from Wanting Memories (I like the Kealiʻi Reichel version) that I always think about when I’m missing someone I dearly wish was still alive: “I thought that you were gone, but now I know you're with me…
I know that I am you and you are me and we are one”

Another sentiment that I find comforting is from Book of the Dead: “No one is truly gone as long as they are remembered”

Regardless of your beliefs, those we’ve lost are always with us through memory. It’s not fair, it never is. But the best we can do is honor their memory and keep a part of them alive within us. I wish you the best in processing your grief, it’s hard.

I am sorry for your loss and the tragedy on the family. I lost an employee to a motorcycle accident about a year ago and it was devastating to see the effect it had on his family. I helped his wife through the insurance process, and it was so heart wrenching. I continue to reach out about once a quarter to check in on her and the kids and all though the void is still there, at least they have found their footing, which was a major concern of mine with her being a stay-at-home Mom and they didn't opt for much coverage. I always tell my folks to plan as you never ever know... tell your loved ones you love them... and ensure you have a way to cover the finances of the unexpected even if you feel it is unlikely.

--Taz

So sorry for your loss.

Oh shit. Just posted my minor complaint thread and saw this. No comparison. My condolences and sympathies to you and the bereaved family. Nobody should have to go through this. Period.

Earlier this month, John's family posted his funeral on his Youtube channel, it was held at Central Texas Veterans Cemetery

After John's accident, it really hit home for me and I stepped away from the biking, music and gaming communities that I know. I just needed some space and time for myself. We live in a world of constant stimulation and the need for gratification. No matter what you do or what you're into, whether its motorcycles, gaming, guitars, hunting or whatever... we are all looking for satisfaction in some way. Whatever it is, just don't lose sight of those people who are around you. The real people that are in the back ground behind the noise of your daily life. You'll never know, until you know. And for me, it was too late.

Rest easy John, thank you for your service and your friendship.

-Taz

Sorry for your loss Taz

On a side note, I love motorcycles. But I seriously do not even bother try using them or buying one. Simple fact is this : One slight accident or mistake by yourself or by another careless driver and your screwed. Even a small fender bender accident at low speed , I can only imagine myself getting seriously hurt.

and trust me; there are a lot of careless drivers, especially this day in age where everyone minds busy with real life problems

Im sorry to hear that Taz, it's never easy when you lose someone you love, i will pray for his familie and do post if they need help
I hope that many people will follow in your step, and consider donating towards helping the veterans.

I am very sorry to have read what you have to endure with this loss. I, too, was a super sport motorcycle rider / stunter for 12 years. I lost a few long time friends to the sport. I also broke my back in three places at one point due to a stunting mishap during a practice session (and have long term chronic pain to remind me of it daily). It's always hard to digest a major loss no matter what. I am blessed to be alive today after riding all those years. There is a popular saying amongst riders. There are two types of riders. Those that have gone down and those that will. It's one of the many ways we cope with the loss and risk associated with the sport. And my Mom has a saying which helped me through many losses both with friends and family. We never get over them being gone, but we do get used to it. I wish you well.

Just now seeing this post. Sorry for your loss Taz, sounds like a great friend and mentor you lost there. I've seen alot of pain from the other side working as an inpatient physician. Make sure you are taking care of yourself as well.

One of my nephews just turned 18 and bought himself a motorcycle, I worry about him daily with all the other careless drivers on the road.

Serious - Sometimes we just lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back