• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Software RGManager (beta) discussion (1 Viewer) 0.0.8852.35864

Next update is in progress, this will include:
-Full resource handler obfuscation
-Expanded system tray options
-Exclude functionality for individual resource handling
-UI tweaks, including optimization of naming schemes and sub-menus.
-Update All button for existing resources.

I expect this to take a couple weeks between writing and unit testing, expect it somewhere around 2nd/3rd week (12th-19th) of April!

Upped the priority of the Update All button given the number of requests, so expect that with this patch! Path/file excludes for individual resource handling, new UI additions as well as existing UI tweaks to streamline end-user usability & overall feel of the manager, resource handler obfuscation just for a little extra security and requested expanded system tray options will also be included.

I am also aware of an issue when decompressing LZMA (.7z, .pea, .lzma, et al.) formatted resources, this will also be fixed in the coming update.

As always, I'll keep everyone posted regarding any delays and if you run in to any issues don't hesitate to let me know! :)

Last edited:
If you right click any resource it will pop-up a settings option for each, from here if you click on the icon of the resource it will take you to the resources site page.
I'm glad to know that it's there, but it's incredibly unintuitive and buried under 3 clicks. If you hadn't explained it, I would never have found it. This is in stark contrast to the Add Resources tab where you have a quick way of downloading or purchasing each resource. There is no quick way of knowing what the resource actually does short of it's name and short description (which aren't always very descriptive).

So the "easy" change is taking the link you already created in the resource-specific Settings and making the title of the resource link out to the browser like the old launcher does.

As for what I was suggesting with expanding info in the app; if I find some time to mock it up in Photoshop I will, but I don't think I could describe it well enough to help you visualize it.

I'm glad to know that it's there, but it's incredibly unintuitive and buried under 3 clicks. If you hadn't explained it, I would never have found it. This is in stark contrast to the Add Resources tab where you have a quick way of downloading or purchasing each resource. There is no quick way of knowing what the resource actually does short of it's name and short description (which aren't always very descriptive).

So the "easy" change is taking the link you already created in the resource-specific Settings and making the title of the resource link out to the browser like the old launcher does.

As for what I was suggesting with expanding info in the app; if I find some time to mock it up in Photoshop I will, but I don't think I could describe it well enough to help you visualize it.
You are correct, it is unintuitive, was never really talked about (publicly) and is a feature that is buried under a specific control. This is a result of it mostly being antiquated logic from demoing that has yet to be expanded & optimized but is planned to be over the course of the beta. I'm sorry for that level of confusion.

From what I think you're getting at, you'd like an accordion that could host resource info. An accordion is like a sub menu that you can expand and retract via a header. The accordion itself would expand revealing resource information and the header would be the current row you would select of the resources grid.

If that's incorrect feel free to correct me. This is definitely something we can accomplish but I'll have to go through the standard proposal process and it probably wouldn't be until a little bit down the line.

What type of resource specific information were you thinking of displaying/what controls would you suggest?

No need to apologize about it. That's what beta is for.

Yeah, an accordion sounds correct. It feels like a lot of work when linking out could accomplish similar results, but if you wanted to keep as much of the actual resource browsing in the app then I think it will be necessary long-term.

No need to apologize about it. That's what beta is for.

Yeah, an accordion sounds correct. It feels like a lot of work when linking out could accomplish similar results, but if you wanted to keep as much of the actual resource browsing in the app then I think it will be necessary long-term.
We could always do both, since we import so much about the resource we could display, on the expanded accordion panel, controls that would allow for what the, somewhat hidden, resource options allow you to do as well as more expansive detail. Best of both worlds sort of thing, I'll push a card up for approval and work on a design, but I don't see this being an issue as its mostly optimizing logic that I've already implemented, albeit currently rudementary.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give folks a little update, I recently had a loved one pass and was away for about a week or so putting us a little behind on the update. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused but we're back on track with everything!

This may or may not push back the update by a few days. I'm well through the design aspect, I just want to make sure that I have enough time for testing so we can have as few issues as possible.

I'm still aiming for the end of this week, but expect it sometime next week at the very latest.

Thanks for all the support, it's meant quite a lot to me!

Looking forward to getting this out to everyone and moving in to the next stages of the project! :)

Quick note: I am aware of an issue that is causing certain flat Lua files to download as an empty file.

Slight oversight on my part when instantiating the new resource manager, this has been addressed in this weeks coming update and should no longer be a problem:
luafix.png

As always, if there are any issues in the mean time don't hesitate to reach out! :) Update will be coming later this week (latest 4/29-4/30, but I expect to be done with everything before or on 4/28).

Last edited:
Software RGManager (beta) discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back