• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - returning player - whats a good duo? (1 Viewer)

If you’re starting from scratch and want to be pretty self sufficient it’s hard to beat Enchanter/Cleric for a very very long time.

I did Necro/Bard at one point and it was pretty fun. Necro is the only caster that doesn’t benefit from an Enchanter.

If you want a tank duo that’s not SK/SHM then PAL/DRU is good too, but it takes forever to kill stuff until the Druid is pretty high level.

Never played from 1-120 on Ench/Cler , whats the playstyle all the way through? Just charm pet + kill ? You using mercs too?

do you suggest just parking the bard and using cwtn on bst?
I play the bst because they're fun or if I'm going to automate, I use Kissassist plus a Lua script that I've been working on (basically a bst version of Lerogue) and I use Kissassist on the bard. But yea you could just plugin the bst and have the bard sit playing a melody and that would work out fine.

So many good answers - and mileage really does vary I think based on play style.
SK / Shm is just op for duo team for most small group content
Pal / heals - and follow an undead leveling path works well - though tough in some lvl ranges (bst was also listed as a partner - which can work well if you arent stretching for bigger mobs and dont need a dedicated healer)
Mag/Enc is a sneaky combo - you have built in tank - CC - but this does fall off in the 85 range IMHO

A lot of it is your play style, what you plan to do, and what you want to get out of it.

I am also a strong proponent of come out of the gate with a fresh 6. Most of them can be FTP / or you can play test and get everything anyway. Lots more flex to how you want to build things, and you dont have to come back later and level up stragglers etc.

my 2 coppers.

I started off Pally / Enc when I first discovered Redguides. But as many have said it is really up to you and your play style. You will find out quickly that it is easier and better to 6 box than to use mercs ever.

Never played from 1-120 on Ench/Cler , whats the playstyle all the way through? Just charm pet + kill ? You using mercs too?
Pretty much. Cleric works really well because they have the highest single target heals and mobs have a ton of hitpoints. I tend not to use mercs for anything except rezzing my rezzer~

Pretty much. Cleric works really well because they have the highest single target heals and mobs have a ton of hitpoints. I tend not to use mercs for anything except rezzing my rezzer~

So I went with enchanter, and druid...the boxing addiction is kicking back up.. What would you suggest for a 3rd? cleric?

If you’re starting from scratch and want to be pretty self sufficient it’s hard to beat Enchanter/Cleric for a very very long time.

I did Necro/Bard at one point and it was pretty fun. Necro is the only caster that doesn’t benefit from an Enchanter.

If you want a tank duo that’s not SK/SHM then PAL/DRU is good too, but it takes forever to kill stuff until the Druid is pretty high level.

i second the necro & bard. i 2 boxed these back in POP before bard nerf. Was very fun!

Druid/Ranger has always been fun to me. Heal/port/buffs druid, dps and a paper tank from the ranger. snare kite, root, nuke, dot, range attack can all be handy for duo grinds. Especially in old world stuff. Not as much fun in current content.

ranger and druid son.png
A Ranger and Druid Son?

Hmm beastlord would be neat. Is it just to supplement the missing buffs from the druid?
I was thinking about dropping the druid for sham, but the ports and succ are kind of addicting haha.

How does necro not benefit from enchanter? I get mana reiterate procs all the time on my dots. I think it also procs twincast

Shadowknight + Shaman is the classic true and tested duo. MNK + SHM is fantastic too, but any melee pairs well with a shaman to be fair. In extra if you're feeling up to it, throwing in a bard is a great addition too.

Hmm beastlord would be neat. Is it just to supplement the missing buffs from the druid?
I was thinking about dropping the druid for sham, but the ports and succ are kind of addicting haha.
With Cleric you're adding healing which you already have with Druid and Paladin, so if you're needing healing you're probably only needing a little healing which Beastlord can cover in a pinch. With Bard you're adding ADPS, but with the group you have a Beastlord will add ADPS and more overall DPS (as well as another pet to benefit from your pet synergies). Bard isn't a bad choice either, I just think you'll do better with a Beastlord.
How does necro not benefit from enchanter? I get mana reiterate procs all the time on my dots. I think it also procs twincast
Overall the things that an enchanter provides just don't benefit a necro, in most cases a necro has their own (better) versions of it -- especially on the buffs side. Perhaps I should rephrase -- Necro gets the least benefit from an enchanter -- especially compared to a bard where everything that the bard does benefits the necro. In the context of that post, it was talking about a duo -- a Necro/Enchanter duo means that the necro is a self buffer and the enchanter is mostly a self buffer. In a group setting that dynamic changes because the roles shift, but in a duo -- you want as much synergy as you can get.

Dude Shaman and Pally double rezzed. My main is a Shaman my MT is a Pally I also have a 120 SK equally equipped but I prefer the Pally. He doesn't die as much. Also you could run a BST and Necro use BYOS plugins on the BST for Slowing mobs. I don't know about DPS but that duo kills mobs as fast as any
You could go full nature Ranger and BST

Dude Shaman and Pally double rezzed. My main is a Shaman my MT is a Pally I also have a 120 SK equally equipped but I prefer the Pally. He doesn't die as much. Also you could run a BST and Necro use BYOS plugins on the BST for Slowing mobs. I don't know about DPS but that duo kills mobs as fast as any
You could go full nature Ranger and BST
I ended up with Pally, druid, mage, ench, necro, bard. I might switch to a shaman later down the line, but the ports and succ have been so useful.

Shaman , SK, Chanter, Zerker, Zerker, Zerker for fast leveling on the first round? Once you have the high level shaman and chanter, then you can PL all your other characters. I feel like you either need to get out of it a high level shaman, chanter or cleric to help with the next round of PL.

Possible swapping:
Chanter for Cleric or Bard
SK for Pally or Tank
Zerker for any of the other dps

So I went with enchanter, and druid...the boxing addiction is kicking back up.. What would you suggest for a 3rd? cleric?
Depends what you want to main or drive with? Do you want to raid and would your guild need a specific class you’d want to main? I’d say any of the tanks would be great here. I’d do WAR for the decent dps and ease of boxability. Not everyone does it too so it’s more unique than an SK.

Besides a simple tank box, a close 2nd for me would be a mage for good group and raid dps.

I play the bst because they're fun or if I'm going to automate, I use Kissassist plus a Lua script that I've been working on (basically a bst version of Lerogue) and I use Kissassist on the bard. But yea you could just plugin the bst and have the bard sit playing a melody and that would work out fine.
That would be awesome if you wanted to share your script have been looking for something for bst similar to lerogue

Discussion - returning player - whats a good duo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back