• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Returning player - early box setup questions (1 Viewer)

Sintor

RedCents
64¢
Hey there, haven't played since PoP on live so super excited to see all the content. I know it is likely suboptimal, but would it be worth it to start with a DRU in the heal spot then swap it out at some higher level so that I have it for ports and PL buffs?

I'm likely going to gold the tank right away, but if I'm only planning on golding one more initially, what would be the most impactful spot after that?

Is farming up a Krono in EQ possible on a 6 box in a reasonable amount of time at higher levels? It was pretty reasonable in 2, but given that everyone can box effectively here was curious how feasible it is.

Thanks in advance, really looking forward to diving in!

Welcome back to EQ and welcome to RedGuides!
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

As for the Pling I found this method to be effective.

I have a 120shd, mag, and clr in a group. Shd rounds up mobs, gets aoe agro. Make sure he has fire beetle eyes equipped.

Next the lowbie; if a caster does aoe things while I spam aoe agro on cd on the sk, if melee get the quest hammer that has a 1hp magic damage proc and the hit every mob add on (search and you can find more details).

After a while I pop mage DS and shd DS onto the shd. Mobs melt.

The cleric is there to heal the shd as needed, when he has 30 mobs they will eventually kill him.

I did this in icefall glacier for my lowbie starting at level 1. I killed the polar bears and exp was great. Next I went to House of Thule gardens. Exp slows down a lot there as they approach the point they can group with your 120s but easy to do.

Assuming you want to take a Druid to 120 to pl others, this method works well assuming you have a shd as your tank. You can use your shd/Druid for faster pling than just Druid alone. Or you don’t need the Druid and can do a mage if you want to have a mage hanging around.

If you are at the keyboard 100% of the time you are most likely looking at less than minimum wage for your time to farm Kronos for all 6. If it is fun than no problems. For me it was like work so I only subbed my SK. Occasionally you might get ultra rare drops that you can sell which can be used to sub toons for a time to max their aa and buy the rkii perk with DB cash.

Welcome back! Faming for Krono can still be viable if you have the resources. Selling mission taskadds and/or achievements can be profitable. Also farming sellable T1 gear.
If only going gold on 1 other toon besides the tank, I'd say use that on a melee dps. They'd benefit the most with hDex augs and such. Casters can get by really well as F2P.

Welcome back. The value of Krono's vary from server to server. Currently on FV, krono's are ranging from about 9 to 10.5 million plat. They tend to be on the high end, where some smaller older servers might only be 5 or 6 million. The best way I have found to earn after only being back for about 45 days or so, is to grind out coveted items in the same place that has good vendor loot. It more than likely won't be an XP spot unless you are max level and taking advantage of the newest content. Trade skills supplys are always another good thing to look up. Good luck and welcome back!

As someone else pointed out, doing it at the keyboard still takes time. I did a couple of good runs around Fort Mechanicus(sp?) and I managed to net around 50k plat in vendor loot in around 45 mins. I reckon I could get close to a million in a single day running it multiple times. On my server, the krono goes for about 5mil, so that would be a full week of just grinding mobs for vendor loot to buy a single krono - would be mindnumbing.

I think you're better off going somewhere that doesn't drop as much plat / vendor loot but does have the chance of dropping that one item that can sell big

Welcome back to EQ and welcome to RG Slintor!!

Hey there, haven't played since PoP on live so super excited to see all the content. I know it is likely suboptimal, but would it be worth it to start with a DRU in the heal spot then swap it out at some higher level so that I have it for ports and PL buffs?
DRU can provide some heals but it would help to know your group make up to help with this question. In general, the DRU is not a great main healer but does bring lots more to a group including the ports you mentioned.

I'm likely going to gold the tank right away, but if I'm only planning on golding one more initially, what would be the most impactful spot after that?
Knowing your group make up would help here as well but in general, many people run 6 with just the tank subbed.

Is farming up a Krono in EQ possible on a 6 box in a reasonable amount of time at higher levels? It was pretty reasonable in 2, but given that everyone can box effectively here was curious how feasible it is.
Answered by a few others but IMO, not really. You will give up play time to what I would consider "work" time to farm krono, so I leave it to those who have perfected it. :)

Glad you decided to join. Your first month of level 2 is on me/us. I say us because I would not have the redcents without other members of this community!

Welcome To The Team GIF by MOODMAN

Always start here RG Video

Watch the vids in Sic's signature (I'm sure he will post soon if he has not done so already while I'm typing this).

Once you have an idea of how things work, you'll want to look into some automation options. Check out Kissassist Beginners Guide, Kissassist Commands , RGmercs, and especially cwtn plugins ( you can also /testcopy your toons and use the cwtn plugins there for free and you'll want to spend some time looking at CWTN Plugins Explained.).

I suggest getting your feet wet slowly and be patient as it takes time to absorb all this information. Try taking your toons somewhere safe and lower level at first and explore the automation options. It takes some time to get used to, so don't be surprised it if feels overwhelming at first.

Once you feel like your're getting the hang of it (or to get a more in depth idea of what this site can do), then check out the plugins, macros, and lua's available to complement your automation. Things like MQ2pluginmanager, buttonmaster, mq2autogroup, MQ2Autoaccept, MQ2Status, GuildClicky, Boxhud, MQ2Buffme , and more. You'll also want to see Lua event manager.

How do you get to see and experience all of this you ask? You need to be a level 2 member. To do that you have 2 options. First, you can subscribe (paid method) or second, you can use Red Cents. What the heck is a Red Cent you ask? Red Cents can you help with your subscription and it's the currency this site uses. Contribute helpful information (post here) and others will give you red cents and each red cent you give others returns one to you. check it out! Red Cents

Time to subscribe to level 2 and begin a journey you won't regret. Lots of info and a super helpful community here to help when you get stuck.

Last edited:
Welcome!!

Going to be blunt here and give you the down side. Every rose has its thorns.

Most of the farming others are talking about, chase loot, etc are best done at high high levels. Not much market for a tier 1 armor from a raid that's 10 expansions old. If you last played in POP then you have a ways to go. So figure at least a month or more to achieve those levels. Unless you bump with a level 85 or 100 Heroic.

And farming an entire zone is boring. If someone else isn't already farming it.

Some forages sell well but the reason they do is that they take forever to forage.

So what this boils down to is time vs money. Which is most important to you? Also like it has been mentioned, I also tried to farm collectables and armor, make templates for armors and other tradeskill saleable items and playing the baz game, and it was consuming all my time.

However, I like the Krono "game" while I am not good at it and often keep the Krono for myself and not sell it lol. But this is really the best way to get plat. Buy a krono, sell it on the server your on (just watch general chat to see what the going rate is on your server of choice). Note: in order to see general chat you will need to be a paid account. Its a circle since what you want is to earn plat to buy the krono to pay for your sub. There are cheap places.

I just play the game and have fun. I have many characters not at top level and that's fine, nor am I rich in the game.

Thanks for all the awesome feedback everyone, this is a great community!

I apologize for the lack of detail on my proposed setup outside of the DRU, it's definitely because I'm overthinking the group setup. I know SK is the de-facto choice for tank but for some reason the brainworms really want WAR or PAL. In some research I read that switching your tank later is extremely unfun due to a lot of stuff that needs to be done on them besides gear/AA, so just a bit of analysis paralysis on my part.

The group is likely Tank/DRU(?)/BRD/BST/MNK/MNK for ease of gearing or /BST/NEC/MAG. I've read that ROG and BER are much better DPS, but for the first group I don't think I'll be able to get them Kronod anytime soon for the good gear/AAs to unlock that potential, so likely would pick them up on a later team.

Thanks for all the advice around Krono farming. I realize it's usually just better to swipe for it but I figured getting to self sustaining for at least the tank would be a nice goal.

On the subject of PL, that's a great method provided, thank you! It's been so long since I played, I think I was stuck on the "DRU is the one true PL class" with all their goodies so figured dragging one up first was probably the best way. Sounds like I might be able to skip that. If I went with SHM/CLR instead, how bad am I going to miss porting? I'm not sure what the default travel options are like in the brave new world. :D

Welcome back. Best Advice is Play what is fun for you, RGs is great. You have the ability to customize how you want things. The Community is great so if you have questions
about things just post them if you cant find threads similar to your problem.

I apologize for the lack of detail on my proposed setup outside of the DRU, it's definitely because I'm overthinking the group setup. I know SK is the de-facto choice for tank but for some reason the brainworms really want WAR or PAL. In some research I read that switching your tank later is extremely unfun due to a lot of stuff that needs to be done on them besides gear/AA, so just a bit of analysis paralysis on my part.

The group is likely Tank/DRU(?)/BRD/BST/MNK/MNK for ease of gearing or /BST/NEC/MAG. I've read that ROG and BER are much better DPS, but for the first group I don't think I'll be able to get them Kronod anytime soon for the good gear/AAs to unlock that potential, so likely would pick them up on a later team.

Thanks for all the advice around Krono farming. I realize it's usually just better to swipe for it but I figured getting to self sustaining for at least the tank would be a nice goal.

On the subject of PL, that's a great method provided, thank you! It's been so long since I played, I think I was stuck on the "DRU is the one true PL class" with all their goodies so figured dragging one up first was probably the best way. Sounds like I might be able to skip that. If I went with SHM/CLR instead, how bad am I going to miss porting? I'm not sure what the default travel options are like in the brave new world. :D
Travel options are all over the place. There are clicky ports and there are NPC that will send you to a zone (like the soul NPC in the Nexus that will send you to Maiden's Eye in less than 30 second) or the lady in No Ro ( Belinda) that will put you on a Griffon to fly to Eastern Wastes and lots of other new ones.

Our maps now have a "zone guide" in the upper right that you click, then select where you are as start zone, then select where you want to go as ending zone and it will show you a list of zones to go thru to get there and it will make a yellow path. If no path then there will be a big red X on the map for where you need to go.

Did you download new maps yet? Need to get both Goods maps and Brewells

All guild halls have the current expansions portal stone so you can always use that method. If your not in a guild you can join the in game guild (just for the portal feature) or make your own or join a real guild.

This is pure preference but I would put a SHM on primary heal. There are so many port options and EasyFind that moving around the game is not nearly as difficult as it was in the old days.

I run WAR/SHM/BRD/MNK/ROG/BER the utility of the Rogue for CR and grabbing shineys is handy and the Monk is still my go to puller.

That being said if you want truly optimal DPS, I think Zerkers are still top of the list for Melee DPS.

Well, Redguides makes this fun. Fun means you spend more time in-game, that makes you lvl your toons and maxing your AA with ease. So pick your tools and use em and you will soon have more than 1 max lvl/aa toon to choose from on each account.

Its just getting started, enjoy the ride!

You Rock GIF

Everything is viable really it just depends on your style. For me it’s to be safe and have some redundancy.

I SK tank for the damage and group agro.

I have an enchanter for CC, and the MQ2 plugin is amazing. CCs everything no problem. I had an instance where my enchanter and SK got separated from the rest of my group. All the rest died but my chanter and SK killed 4 dark blues together. Chanter mezzed the other while SK took them one at a time. Chanter is also nice for running a little older content where you can round up 10-15 mobs (light blue) then CC everything and take them out.

I run a cleric for heals because she has so much healing power I never worry about it if things get out of hand.

Dps is mag, nec, wiz/bst. Mage is great because I can double invis him and have him coth my team if needed. All the pets help the mage damage also. Necro and wiz because I like the classes and as a bonus my necro can Rez my cleric if she dies in combat somehow. Wiz because I like wiz and bst is in testing as a possible option.

I’ve tried the tank/brd/shaman/rog/zerker/bst team and it doesn’t suit my tastes. If the shaman dies unless I have a token I don’t have a back up Rez. I’ve found that I die more often with a shaman but that could just be me being bad. Probably is.

If we get MQ2Ranger anytime soon I might slot it in instead of my wiz. I do love rangers also, so we will see how the mq2wiz and mq2 ranger pan out when they are released.

I like that my current team has lots of cc, but if that fails my tank/healer combo has a lot of agro generation and healing through put. I have a back up Rez for the cleric and can FD the necro if I need to during a wipe for a quick recovery. Coth lets you skip some stuff you don’t want to deal with. My team feels safe and handles things well so I’m happy.

So play what you want, with some combo of tank/heal/cc you’re going to be good if you’re that type of player. If you’re a min/max there are lots of good advice threads around. Welcome to the fold.

as for porting its convenient but not necessary. If you get the PoK stein during the anniversary event you get a free port to PoK for everybody. having a wiz is super convenient if i want to run the grind plugin at restless assault because i just port there. The main benefit is if you are out farming or leveling and you decide you want to go someplace else you can quickly port to the nearest location or sometimes right to the zone you want to go to. Otherwise its usually a trip back to PoK/guild hall; its not too bad getting around places, just with ports you just shorten travel time a little.

as for porting its convenient but not necessary. If you get the PoK stein during the anniversary event you get a free port to PoK for everybody. having a wiz is super convenient if i want to run the grind plugin at restless assault because i just port there. The main benefit is if you are out farming or leveling and you decide you want to go someplace else you can quickly port to the nearest location or sometimes right to the zone you want to go to. Otherwise its usually a trip back to PoK/guild hall; its not too bad getting around places, just with ports you just shorten travel time a little.
Just to clarify each character has to have their own stein - it does not port the group. :) And on FV you can buy them all year long if someone has them for sale!!! And if you can afford them lol.

Which brings up Veterans Rewards. Used to only get them per year but now every character gets them all at level 1. And the one I immediately set up a hot key is "Throne of Hero's - its a free port to the lobby.

We all get "Origin" at level 5 which can be handy too.

I took a break from packing and it's a good thing I did. I'm the resident Paladin. It's a viable option. And it's nice to have that extra rezzer.

One thing you don't need is a Druid to port. Just go ahead and start with a Shaman. With canni he will never run out of mana. He can heal and DPS and cook you dinner.

Most of the traveling now is done through the guild hall. You don't really need a porter anymore.

Having a Pally, Shaman and Necro all as rezzers in a group has kept me upright more times than I can count. I primarily use the CTWN plugins supplemented by RGMERCS I'm the biggest fan of the Plugins.

Having a Pally, Shaman and Necro all as rezzers in a group has kept me upright more times than I can count. I primarily use the CTWN plugins supplemented by RGMERCS I'm the biggest fan of the Plugins.
Both of these i agree with, having at least one back up rez is nice and really helps in rough places. The class plugins are amazing and well worth it, as is the Grind plugin depending on your preferences; I Grind while im working on my 2nd monitor and it really helps get all the the AA so i can get my team full up.

I am actually planning on bringing my pally up to level and really trying it with my caster group. Pally was my first love back in 2000 and i really want to make it work.

Question - Returning player - early box setup questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back