• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Returner and not sure how to approach my EQ boxing goal (1 Viewer)

Tonydews

RedCents
602¢
Hello everyone! I've used RG before and liked how simple it was to use, and messed around a little bit with it on Live.

Though, now I want to take things more seriously. My current goal is to jump into Everquest (live version) and progress with a boxed group, clearing all content and raids, from expansion to expansion, era to era. From classic, to Kunark, to Velious, and onwards until it's virtually impossible to clear anything by myself. I'm a completionist and I like taking my time to accomplish everything (reasonably possible) in a game. I ain't sure how to approach this goal, so a bit of help is appreciated:

1. I started a manually managed 3-box team on live, but am fearing this isn't going to be enough even with mercs to fill in the empty 3 slots. Should I straight up make a 6-box team or can I somewhat still manage with a 3-box? Keep in mind I want to do all content (missions / raids / dungeons) within reasonable limits. (I do not mind overleveling or overgearing my toons a bit to clear those up before moving on.)
  2. Been torn between Warrior and SK for tanking. I love the Warrior's concept or just being a brutal meat shield and mitigates damage like sponge, but at the same time an SK has a pretty cool tool-set, but I guess other toons can simply fill that role of swiss-tools.
  3. How far has any of you managed to come within this game while boxing? I really want to see everything that I missed with this grandpa of an MMO because I was just too young and stupid to play it at all back then when it was still relevant hehe. It's an adventure I want for myself after all.
  4. Most likely gonna go with Test server for automatic gold status and unlimited AAs. Is this a good choice? (don't exactly have pimp stacks of $$$ to afford so many subs at once, this would be quite expensive on my bills...). I originally had created a few chars on Firiona Vie otherwise.
  5. Most likely gonna go WAR / SHM / BRD / ROG / BER / MNK . Though I don't know if I should switch out Shaman for a cleric for better heals... I guess bard can slow so that's not too bad, but I miss out on shaman buffs and roots.

Thanks in advanced for helping out with your advices and expertise! (and possibly awarding a bit of red coins just to help getting this ball rolling once again, if you're feeling generous..!)

If you are running 3 you might as well go 6. Playing on Test, you will be able to use the CWTN plugins. Shaman will take care of you through all group content provided you have the gear/augs/AA . As much as I love my monk, he sits getting dusty. You might consider a BST in that spot. I like both BRD and ENC. I run the bard with my melee groups and enchanter with my casters mostly. I am a die hard SK fan for tanks but I think any of the 3 will do just fine. I am most comfortable pulling with my SK's over my Pally and I have never played a warrior so I can't say good or bad about them. In the end, have fun and play what you enjoy. Your tentative group makeup will get the job done

Hello everyone! I've used RG before and liked how simple it was to use, and messed around a little bit with it on Live.
  1. Should I straight up make a 6-box team? 6 PC is better, period; especially with AoCs and whatnot :)
  2. SK for tanking; just a better tank for a group IMHO
  3. SK / SHM / BRD / BL / BER / PALorMNKorROG IMHO (pal would give you hybrid heals/melee dps/cleric buffs/etc... while maintaining a melee focused group... also a 2nd tank for threat just incase of MC mobs)... but any of those last 3 for last spot would be fine IMHO
Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I had taken a long break, came back and EQ alone had a lot of changes, the walk throughs are nice, not everything is answered, but it's enough to be dangerous LOL... that said, I definitely found that learning and refining the INI taught me the most; experiment here, ask a question here, apply it there, seemed to teach me the most about it... I really enjoyed the older INI websites that walked me through (though I believe some are out of date or whatnot... they still were a really great place to learn a basic knowledge)

KISSASSIST

Still one of my favorites for learning and quick reference, if there's better, I am unaware... another one I liked for / macro commands was

MQ2MOVEUTILS

Just a couple nuggets that help me sort it out... and then again, asking questions of the community here @ RG has been HUGE!

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

@Tonyency Yeah i'd say you may as well go with a full 6.. that way you level them all up together, not having to go back later and lvl the 3 you didnt do initially..

test is great, but honestly, if you can slug it out on firiona as long as you can, you can also benefit from the different ruleset there and be able to loot, trade, and buy a whole host of what would otherwise be no-trade gear.. then when ready, just /testcopy the crew over to test and continue on..

as I'm sure you'll see from reading through the forums here, shaman might be a bit weak as a healer earlier on, but they become very solid later, and provide alot of buff support for a melee group.. so consider that too..

@Tonyency
test is great, but honestly, if you can slug it out on firiona as long as you can, you can also benefit from the different ruleset there and be able to loot, trade, and buy a whole host of what would otherwise be no-trade gear.. then when ready, just /testcopy the crew over to test and continue on..
Yeah I think I can stretch it on FV for a while, well at least the first couple expansions until I hit PoP where AAs start becoming a more serious matter and then transition to Test.

welcome back!

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

Though, now I want to take things more seriously. My current goal is to jump into Everquest (live version) and progress with a boxed group, clearing all content and raids, from expansion to expansion, era to era. From classic, to Kunark, to Velious, and onwards until it's virtually impossible to clear anything by myself. I'm a completionist and I like taking my time to accomplish everything (reasonably possible) in a game. I ain't sure how to approach this goal, so a bit of help is appreciated:

1. I started a manually managed 3-box team on live, but am fearing this isn't going to be enough even with mercs to fill in the empty 3 slots. Should I straight up make a 6-box team or can I somewhat still manage with a 3-box? Keep in mind I want to do all content (missions / raids / dungeons) within reasonable limits. (I do not mind overleveling or overgearing my toons a bit to clear those up before moving on.)
  2. Been torn between Warrior and SK for tanking. I love the Warrior's concept or just being a brutal meat shield and mitigates damage like sponge, but at the same time an SK has a pretty cool tool-set, but I guess other toons can simply fill that role of swiss-tools.
  3. How far has any of you managed to come within this game while boxing? I really want to see everything that I missed with this grandpa of an MMO because I was just too young and stupid to play it at all back then when it was still relevant hehe. It's an adventure I want for myself after all.
  4. Most likely gonna go with Test server for automatic gold status and unlimited AAs. Is this a good choice? (don't exactly have pimp stacks of $$$ to afford so many subs at once, this would be quite expensive on my bills...). I originally had created a few chars on Firiona Vie otherwise.
  5. Most likely gonna go WAR / SHM / BRD / ROG / BER / MNK . Though I don't know if I should switch out Shaman for a cleric for better heals... I guess bard can slow so that's not too bad, but I miss out on shaman buffs and roots.

Thanks in advanced for helping out with your advices and expertise! (and possibly awarding a bit of red coins just to help getting this ball rolling once again, if you're feeling generous..!)
if you're coming to the test server and are interested in clearing all the group and RAID content, you're going to need a cleric to battle rez on the raids. The Shaman can rez, but the recast takes a while and you'll encounter lots of raids that have Death touch or similar mechanics which will require lots of quick rezzes. Also, some raids will require more than one tank move "X" mobs over to "Y" spot. Basically, you'll need more tanks with healers to perform those mechanics. If you want to just clear all the group content, the best team would be SK/SHM/BRD/3x ROG. We have teams like this and they turned out to be the top DPS endgame at 120 with all AAs.

ya. that looks like a nice way to start out. shaman is really the way to go unless u r worried about heal. they can handle group content easily with what is on this site. sub your tank for sure. u can get by with ftp gear on your dps/heals. but u might want to rotate an account as a second subbed account to get them their free aas. and possibly get them the tier 2 spells/abilities from DB store. think thats 700ish db cash. go slow. no need to rush. sub tank off the hop, but the rest can really wait til 110. maximize your bang for buck. aa 1 account at a time. heals might be best for 2nd sub, just for the added power it will bring with nice aas to choose from after auto grant. warriors i think can handle extreme beatings with a little more ease. but i think most ppl go SK in group content for various reasons. possibly just the flavor. i personally have played both. i enjoy my sk a bit more. thats just personal taste tho. warriors are nice.

U dont really need to 6 box off the hop tho. maybe add 1 ftp account into the mix at a time til u are a little more at ease with what you are doing. honestly,. it isnbt the game it was 20 years ago with grinding xp. its alot smoother to lv toons up now

anyway. best of luck

Pack it up, pack it in, let me begin...
I came to win, battle me that's a sin...
I won't ever slack up, **** you better back up...
Try and play the role and yo the whole crew'll act up...

I think it is fitting. I am similar to you, and my 1st piece of advice for you is to set your goals out upfront. Your summary states you want a boxed group to clear content, including raids. Well, that will only go so far before 6 is not enough and you need to jump to 12, 18, 24, etc. So...plan ahead now. Will save you oodles of trouble later on.

1. Test Server - Best choice. There are so many perks to being on test, I won't lay them all out. I will say this though - Even though CWTN resources are currently provided for free on Test, donate anyway. I had purchased all plugins, minus Paladin before moving to test, and I will be re-subbing shortly as mine are starting to expire. They worked, and continue to work hard to provide you with the best experience possible while playing, so do the right thing. Besides, you are not paying for Gold status anyway.

2. I would honestly start with 12-18. 18 can take you a very long way through content, and while you will not need them all initially, it will give you more variety in options you want to play. If you start now, level them up, etc, you get that stuff out of the way and can focus on your true goal - having fun!

3. Long-term thinking in mind - WAR is the best choice for MT in raiding environments. There is no substitute. SHD/PAL are more fun to play but lack the serious CD stuff when things hit super hard. You might not experience that for a long time, but I know from my own goals, I am wanting my own raid team for current content. So I am planning it now, and building up to it. I have a few friends willing to help with this endeavor and that helps too!

4. I am not too sure, but I know a couple of people are raiding one expansion back consistently. I do not know about NoS, but they are doing ToL content, which is still a feat in itself. I am sure some will speak up and say what they have accomplished.

5. If you start out with 6, and only 6. WAR/CLR/BRD/BST/BER/ROG is a very good setup. BST fills in for SHM and while not perfect, does the job well enough. CLR out heals SHM all the way into 100 before the SHM starts to shine. Plus you have access to rezzes until you could get the Staff of Forbidden Rites on the SHM. Roots? Does anyone root anymore except very rarely when you fight with a full group of 6?

Welcome back, you have a great vision, and don't get overwhelmed. Proper planning, saves heartache.

If you are running 3 you might as well go 6. Playing on Test, you will be able to use the CWTN plugins. Shaman will take care of you through all group content provided you have the gear/augs/AA . As much as I love my monk, he sits getting dusty. You might consider a BST in that spot. I like both BRD and ENC. I run the bard with my melee groups and enchanter with my casters mostly. I am a die hard SK fan for tanks but I think any of the 3 will do just fine. I am most comfortable pulling with my SK's over my Pally and I have never played a warrior so I can't say good or bad about them. In the end, have fun and play what you enjoy. Your tentative group makeup will get the job done
What I learned with pally is that you pull almost like a warrior... attack something and hope for the best. only difference is that you might be able to stun one mob so it comes last :shrug:

2. I would honestly start with 12-18. 18 can take you a very long way through content, and while you will not need them all initially, it will give you more variety in options you want to play. If you start now, level them up, etc, you get that stuff out of the way and can focus on your true goal - having fun!

Holy crap 12+ boxes? ...this must be a really dizzy management. I cannot possibly imagine managing up to 12+ toons without getting lost and doing fetch-quests, needing to kill a same mob 12+ times just to turn that quest in. Unless grinding mobs is the way to go. Though I'm still worrried about missions regarding that prospect.

I have been looking on youtube at 6-box group missions gameplay videos. And it seems to be more what I am willing to do. Full on 20+ men raids I am willing to forget about. The missions seem fun enough for what I want to try out. As for older expansions, pretty sure they're all doable with a slightly overleveled and overgeared 6-box party. Thanks everyone for the kind help!

First off get your self level 2 on these forums. Its easy to obtain and maintain. You have enough red cents to get a few months worth. Once you have level 2 then you can get access to more things and give out Red Cents your self which earn you more......kinda like a pyramid scheme :D

It was posted above how they can benefit you, but you have gotten a ton of good info so may have overlooked it.

Secondly - mercs are great and can be a huge benefit depending on play style. BUT mercs cannot get into raids. If raiding is going to be a huge part of your playing then you'll want the full group.

1676822411487.png

Holy crap 12+ boxes? ...this must be a really dizzy management. I cannot possibly imagine managing up to 12+ toons without getting lost and doing fetch-quests, needing to kill a same mob 12+ times just to turn that quest in. Unless grinding mobs is the way to go. Though I'm still worrried about missions regarding that prospect.
I am currently running 18. Once you get them to do what you need with your hotkeys and scripts...it becomes quite easy. Grinding is the way to go for leveling, skip the quests until later, or task adds the ones you can. TBL progression was garbage with fetch quests.

Welcome back, I see you gave into the addiction like the rest of us =)

1. Definitely go 6. You'll regret it later if you don't because your plan is to do all the content.
2. I prefer SK myself
3. You can do it all with the group you are proposing imo
4. This will get you all the cwtn plugins for free. I would explore that option
5. Drop MNK for BST IMO and that crew should rock all content! SHM can be a fine group healer post 100 with the SK.

Just my 2cp on the tank. SK is FAR superior to a warrior. I've done both. My warrior was max aa's and in top of the line tradeskill gear fully auged, if the healer goes down, it's guaranteed wipe. Not so with the SK, i can't tell you the number of named mobs that have wiped the group and the SK just hangs around tapping his way to victory.

My L109 SK in conflag gear (no augs) just tanked this guy several times with the whole team down from the 35k AE that's cast every second https://rof.eqresource.com/xoloktheblind.php

Question - Returner and not sure how to approach my EQ boxing goal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back