• Hail, we're RedGuides. We want you to play several EverQuest characters at once. We have scripts and a friendly community to help, please join our playstyle and say hello! 👋

RedCents have changed?! (2 Viewers)

On September 23, 2026, I purchased my monthly level 2 via redcents. I'm not on this site too often. Any way, this week I noticed I can only redcent once a day instead of four times a day (maybe 3 - i just woke up and my brain isn't working).

I also noticed I have no access to the level 2 forum section. So, I bought another 30-day sub today. Still nothing. Can't redcent, can't see level 2 forums. Is there something I need to do? I'll attach screenshots for proof I bought level 2. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.Help1.png
 

Attachments

  • Help2.png
    Help2.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
Solution
RedCents have changed! Congratulations to @VestalBears for being the first to notice.


Before: You'd receive :rc for giving :rc
The problem: I'd get a notification that someone :rc'd my post from ages ago. The notification was not because they enjoyed my post or because it helped them, they just needed :rc to get a free month of level 2. This notification was spam, actually worse than spam because it asked nothing, it was garbage.

This is a very obvious flaw in the design! Who the hell thought this up?
ME! It was 2005. "Likes" did not exist yet. Facebook did not exist yet. I didn't know how people would use a reaction, or how often, but I was aware that...
On September 23, 2026, I purchased my monthly level 2 via redcents. I'm not on this site too often. Any way, this week I noticed I can only redcent once a day instead of four times a day (maybe 3 - i just woke up and my brain isn't working).

I also noticed I have no access to the level 2 forum section. So, I bought another 30-day sub today. Still nothing. Can't redcent, can't see level 2 forums. Is there something I need to do? I'll attach screenshots for proof I bought level 2. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.View attachment 78910

howdy VestalBears sorry about the confusion

1791201133373.png

you are in fact level 2.

the "can't get cents for giving others" is a new change, and the "level two" section is just Hail, a private chat forum under Stew - been this way for a few months

1791201201588.png

so yep, you're lvl 2, with level 2 perks. should be able to use redfetch etc as expected

the RG launcher is deprecated and redfetch is the way we update RG/MQ/etc these days, so be sure to check that out.
 
howdy VestalBears sorry about the confusion

View attachment 78912

you are in fact level 2.

the "can't get cents for giving others" is a new change, and the "level two" section is just Hail, a private chat forum under Stew - been this way for a few months

View attachment 78913

so yep, you're lvl 2, with level 2 perks. should be able to use !redfetch etc as expected

the RG launcher is deprecated and !redfetch is the way we update RG/MQ/etc these days, so be sure to check that out.
Thanks, Sic. You're always so helpful!

Edit: So, you can only get 1 redcent a day? I rely on getting multiple a day so I don't run out of them. Eventually I won't be able to afford level 2.
 
Edit: So, you can only get 1 redcent a day? I rely on getting multiple a day so I don't run out of them. Eventually I won't be able to afford level 2
you still earn redcents by having your posts redcented. the change just means people don't go to the forums and randomly redcent 4 posts a day while not actually participating on the site. I'm not sure if @Redbot has completed his tweaks or not (i didn't think you could get 1 cent from redcenting 1 post).

There are going to also be additional ways to gain redcents here in the future with something called "Bone Chips". If you check the top of this thread you'll see a link

here you can see "reading a thread" (a new-to-you thread) is 2 cents for a day, The Monkey's paw is 8 cents, and you can earn up to 60 cents a month via those things (again I'm not sure if @Redbot is finished or not

1791202452526.png
 
RedCents have changed! Congratulations to @VestalBears for being the first to notice.


Before: You'd receive :rc for giving :rc
The problem: I'd get a notification that someone :rc'd my post from ages ago. The notification was not because they enjoyed my post or because it helped them, they just needed :rc to get a free month of level 2. This notification was spam, actually worse than spam because it asked nothing, it was garbage.

This is a very obvious flaw in the design! Who the hell thought this up?
ME! It was 2005. "Likes" did not exist yet. Facebook did not exist yet. I didn't know how people would use a reaction, or how often, but I was aware that some people might just spam their redcents, so I had the extremely inefficient idea to moderate them. As time went on I moderated less and less, until the last few years where people would log in and spam 4 redcents as quickly as they could.

Now: You turn in your bone chips once a day for 2 :rc. There are other quests that take more effort and you'll see different ones each week, but the daily 2 :rc will always be there.

Now when you :rc someone's post, it's purely because you enjoyed it. There's zero personal benefit.
 
Last edited:
Solution
Guess I will be "that one" You know the annoying person who always asks uncomfortable questions.

What is Red Cent Jail?

All RedCent transactions are reviewed by a bored, board admin. It's a thankless job and oftentimes the admin will be overcome with rage. If you give them a hint of a reason, they'll toss you in RedCent jail.

PS please do not put me in it to show me what it is :)
 
Guess I will be "that one" You know the annoying person who always asks uncomfortable questions.

What is Red Cent Jail?

All RedCent transactions are reviewed by a bored, board admin. It's a thankless job and oftentimes the admin will be overcome with rage. If you give them a hint of a reason, they'll toss you in RedCent jail.

PS please do not put me in it to show me what it is :)
red cent jail means you don't get to earn redcents and/or maybe get them taken away. fortunately it is pretty rare we have to ask someone to stop abusing the system - since i've been here i don't think we've taken away anyone's red cent abilities (tho have had to let a few folks know that we can/will)
 
Wait how do I turn in my Bone Chips? Am I dumb?

Also if I buy a bunch of months of Level 2 access with my RedCents, and I'm on the annual plan, do I have to like suspend my annual RedGuides plan for a year so the RedCents months can get used? Or will the annual plan just not renew while my RedCents are being used up?

Cool to hear RedBot is the original Mark Zuckerberg.
 
Wait how do I turn in my Bone Chips? Am I dumb?

Also if I buy a bunch of months of Level 2 access with my RedCents, and I'm on the annual plan, do I have to like suspend my annual RedGuides plan for a year so the RedCents months can get used? Or will the annual plan just not renew while my RedCents are being used up?

Cool to hear RedBot is the original Mark Zuckerberg.
1791295491753.png
did you click on "Bone Chips? and then "Turn in your bone chips"?

you need to cancel any active plan to use redcents
 
Ok sorry am still not getting this. I do not see what you guys posted. There is no place to turn the chips and no amounts next to read a thread like yours or on monkey paw

View attachment 78921
you already claimed. so tomorrow you can get more cents for reading a new thread, and you'll have the turn in your bone chips.

in my preveiously shared picture from this morning you can see i turned in my monkey's paw yesterday, and i had a new 2 cents to earn from reading a thread today so i turned that in after

1791323658973.png
redbot said:
Do Bone Chips quests. (Level 2 users only. Hit the Bone Chips button at the top of a thread, do a quest, turn in your chips.)

if you check out the >>> RedCents Explained <<< link that redbot shared it gives a brief explaination.

I *believe* we'll see additional bone chips quests in the future.

but in case there's confusion you now earn MORE redcents from someone "redcenting" you. This didn't go away.
redbot said:
Receive RedCents when someone else clicks the RedCent button on your great post. (Level 1+ users, i.e. everyone can receive. Earns 15 RedCents each time.)
 
RedCents have changed?!

Users who are viewing this thread

  • T
Back
Top
Cart