• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Rate this PC build. Update: Found a GPU! (1 Viewer)

@LorDeth if you have "unclean power" you need to talk to the power company to replace the caps on the poles. there are ways to monitor spikes and drops. when you start doing that and prove it to them they will do something about it. along with your batteries a cap bank would be useful and choke coils to bar and store those spikes. what do you use the home lab for? i have a r 610 with proxmox and several vm's for stuff i do. a tower server for plex sonarr and radarr and another tower server for ripping and storage (nas)

The issue is that the power company here doesnt do preventative maintenance, and since all of our infrastructure is aerial, too many trees growing amongst everything.. So you get a windstorm (we're in a coastal area, so PLENTY of wind), you get tree branches blowing and touching the lines and grounding out one phase intermittently.. And for all the complaining the customers do, the amount of maintenance they do is limited..

The nice thing about those batteries, is they act as a big capacitive bank, so they do filter and clean up the power.. my output power is a nice CLEAN sine wave :)

The linux machine is a vm host box, with some virtualization stuff i play around with.. also have it serving the network as a fileserver and a/v network stream for stereos and android box in other parts of the house..

Big boy toys :)

very nice to play with equipment meant to to what you are doing with it. if i can make a suggestion spin up a vm with pihole. its great. i use pi's as well with a granfa monitor and android streamers

very nice to play with equipment meant to to what you are doing with it. if i can make a suggestion spin up a vm with pihole. its great. i use pi's as well with a granfa monitor and android streamers

i have a couple pi's at work that connect to usb hubs and then those usb hubs are connected to some cellphones.. we use some custom s/w on those phones to test "stuff" ... lol

never used pihole though.. will check it out :)

The ryzen 5 CPU runs hot especially with any overclocking. I had to install a water cooler to keep it reasonable as the defualt heat sink is kinda whimpy. For the graphics card I only play EQ so I went with a GTX 1660 6gb and it runs all my accounts without breaking a sweat. I would add a second SSD for all of your games. If you keep all the game files on a dedicated drive separate from the OS you will get a faster reaction and load time. In addition I prefer a beefy motherboard with plenty of expansion slots otherwise your build looks fine you should be able to do it for about 1k but I would throw in an extra 500 to address the heat sink gpu and a second SSD.

The ryzen 5 CPU runs hot especially with any overclocking. I had to install a water cooler to keep it reasonable as the defualt heat sink is kinda whimpy. For the graphics card I only play EQ so I went with a GTX 1660 6gb and it runs all my accounts without breaking a sweat. I would add a second SSD for all of your games. If you keep all the game files on a dedicated drive separate from the OS you will get a faster reaction and load time. In addition I prefer a beefy motherboard with plenty of expansion slots otherwise your build looks fine you should be able to do it for about 1k but I would throw in an extra 500 to address the heat sink gpu and a second SSD.
I don’t plan to overclock anything. I’ve never seen the appeal. I’d rather just buy a part that will work rather than supe it up. I have 6 accounts running on my laptop that has 8gb ram and a GTX 1050 gpu no issues at all.

That is definitely a VERY unique case!! Kind of cool, definitely not for me though..

With some nicely laid out RGB in there, it could definitely be a pretty cool looking PC though.

Radeon 8gb card is like $180. I prefer water cooler from Corsair too and 32gb of ram. For $80 more you can get a Ryzen 7.

RX580. Prices are back up because of mining. It's MSRP is 229 and was on sale brand new for 180. I bought 2 for 179 ea. But returned them a while back.
Gotta check your wording there buddy. You said it “is” $180, not “was” $180.

Gotta check your wording there buddy. You said it “is” $180, not “was” $180.
Well used you can still get it for that price. And yeah I spoke a little too soon after looking up prices to reply.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 10
Hey SomeTester, I just noticed this thread today, but I built a PC last year with a number of very similar components.

I had not built a PC since 1999, which ironically, was also built with EQ in mind. It was a fun process, and I'm glad I did. I was gathering my parts at this time last year, so this was all mostly pre-COVID. I got my last components in February before all the impact on PC parts/components. I've had absolutely zero complaints with my build. I only box 6, but looking at the Task Manager I would feel comfortable adding another whole group and still look good in terms of CPU/GPU/Memory usage. Since it was completed last February I've added another 16GB RAM, bringing my total to 32GB since I keep a lot going on in tabs on my browser and such. I'm not the most tech savvy, but happy to help if you have any questions. Including components for your reference.

Case: https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-OBSIDIAN-750D-Full-Tower-Case/dp/B00YJJBFIO?th=1
Motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-C...rbon+wifi&qid=1611185647&s=electronics&sr=1-3
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1650 Super
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz [I started with 2 sticks = 16 and later added 2 more for 32GB]
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850x
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1 TB NVMe M.2

I also later added a 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD I got for super cheap to store any stuff I'd like to keep off my SSD.

So this works fine for me. My next upgrade / area of improvement would be the video card. Almost every component I used is more expensive today, so piecing it together over time might be favorable anyway. G'Luck :)

Hey SomeTester, I just noticed this thread today, but I built a PC last year with a number of very similar components.

I had not built a PC since 1999, which ironically, was also built with EQ in mind. It was a fun process, and I'm glad I did. I was gathering my parts at this time last year, so this was all mostly pre-COVID. I got my last components in February before all the impact on PC parts/components. I've had absolutely zero complaints with my build. I only box 6, but looking at the Task Manager I would feel comfortable adding another whole group and still look good in terms of CPU/GPU/Memory usage. Since it was completed last February I've added another 16GB RAM, bringing my total to 32GB since I keep a lot going on in tabs on my browser and such. I'm not the most tech savvy, but happy to help if you have any questions. Including components for your reference.

Case: https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-OBSIDIAN-750D-Full-Tower-Case/dp/B00YJJBFIO?th=1
Motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-C...rbon+wifi&qid=1611185647&s=electronics&sr=1-3
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1650 Super
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz [I started with 2 sticks = 16 and later added 2 more for 32GB]
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850x
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1 TB NVMe M.2

I also later added a 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD I got for super cheap to store any stuff I'd like to keep off my SSD.

So this works fine for me. My next upgrade / area of improvement would be the video card. Almost every component I used is more expensive today, so piecing it together over time might be favorable anyway. G'Luck :)
Thank you! I got my gpu ordered today. I figure I’ll get 1-2 parts a week depending on how my shop does. I’ll have it built by spring lol.

Update: So far I got a mobo. I pre-ordered a GTX 1660 SUPER SC ULTRA but every week my ETA gets pushed back another week so who knows when/if I’ll get it.

I bought another 3D printer (those things are like crack)so I had to pause PC part orders for a few weeks.

Not too shabby of a build based on parts availability. I'd definitely go for more RAM and a better GPU (once they're restocked of course)
My "local" microcenter just got a bunch of 3060s in for $4-$500 12gb!!!! But by the time i make the hour + drive they will either be sold out or a line long enough that I won't get one. c'est la vie

IRL - Rate this PC build. Update: Found a GPU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back