• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Rate this PC build. Update: Found a GPU! (1 Viewer)

SomeTester

RedCents
924¢
I haven’t built or modified a desktop in about 15 years. I’m mainly going to be 6 boxing EQ, 3D modeling and 3D printing. Overkill? Complete garbage? Just a jumbled mess and I should jump off a cliff?

E038E6D9-CC9B-4366-8CB9-ADE6CB59476D.jpeg

looks good but why bottleneck your gfx? or do you just not need? i would at least look for a 20 series gpu.
I’m just out of the loop. My laptop has the laptop version of a 1050 and it runs great so I just went with that lol. The advice I’m seeing is look at a 1650 card.

Definitely more RAM. At this stage, 32 should be your minimum, it might run you more money but it will make your life significantly easier in the future. Chrome alone can chew through 10+ just running multiple windows.

Optionally : I also tried adding a single 120gb SSD for OS / dedicated programs and it has worked out pretty well. Keeps everything I use all the time on one drive, and then I can add / remove / expand the other drives for games or whatever at leisure.

Yeah that’s why I have the 2.5 SSD for the OS and such and then the onboard drive for everything else. I’m pretty sure that’s how it should work lol.

I just built my kid a pc for Christmas using the same ryzen cpu and motherboard. The stock cooler fan that comes with the ryzen chip was pretty good, and we decided to spend money elsewhere instead of on a replacement cooler. The cpu fan also came precoated with thermal paste.

I just built my kid a pc for Christmas using the same ryzen cpu and motherboard. The stock cooler fan that comes with the ryzen chip was pretty good, and we decided to spend money elsewhere instead of on a replacement cooler. The cpu fan also came precoated with thermal paste.
Thanks for the first hand info!! What gpu did you use?

I have that exact setup almost except for the gpu. I have a 1060 6gb card but have used a 1050 also with no issues. I use new models and box from 6 to 8 all the time and at the most maybe 12. ran over 100 fps with the 1050 with the 1060 usually another 30 or so on average. I do get close to maxing out ram and I never have more than eq and maybe 1 other window up so more ram when you can get it would make things a heck of a lot smoother if you are the type to watch youtube vids and other stuff while playing. I got mine up to 32 of ram now and it does make a difference.

Thanks for the first hand info!! What gpu did you use?
The only thing I could find the week before xmas without paying exorbitant price was a RX580 which was a upgrade over my 1050 that he was playing fps games on. I was hoping to get a 1660 or 5700 but was worried about not having a gpu for xmas day. The Kid has a better cpu than me now.

Dont know about the 3D modeling and printing, but, for 6 boxing eq

CPU & MB, more than adequate ( I 6 boxed on a 4 core i3 for quite some time )
Ram - 16gig good / 32 gig much better ( I 6 boxed on 16 gig for quite awhile, much smoother on 32 though )
case/power supply.. good ( might limit your gpu upgrade choice down the road, if you were thinking about doing that at some point )
under the current GFX card circumstances.. that gpu is the best bang for your buck in my opinion.. 20 series gfx cards are ridiculously priced right now. Even amd cards equivalent to a 20 series is insanely priced.
personaly i'd drop the 860 evo, and either upgrade the m.2 to a 2 gig.. or get another 1 gig m.2, that board has 2 m.2 slots.
and drop the cooler, stock coolers nowadays work quite well ( unless your overclocking ) , unless of course you want it for the rgb.

The NVMe drive is nearly 4 times the speed of the SATA connected SSD. I'd just eliminate the SATA drive entirely.

Edit to add. Nothing wrong with throwing in a 2TB conventional spinning SATA drive and use it for File History backups. Can also offload stuff to the conventional drive that clutter up the NVMe.

Ok so I added more ram to 32gb, and I changed the case because that original case blocked some USB ports on the mobo.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.60 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($178.06 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($162.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($649.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Anidees AI Crystal Cube ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1784.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-14 21:42 EST-0500

I'm in the process of building almost this same thing but in an 8 core 4.0, and with double the ram and an onboard m.1 ssd, but same case and I THINK that's the same Mobo. However..depending on future needs I have amuch bigger psu ..and a vidcard to go with it(don't remember what kind, Nvidia something, but cost as much as the CPU(I ordered and started building it back in November and got sid tracked...it's not for me lol. Def paid more than your budget. Just under 1500 before tax, but much higher performance on every level. I wish could still share Newegg shopping carts, I used to use that to propose builds all the time.

And btw..that case and many more these days...can be interesting to work with. If you plan to use an optical drive ever...it's gotta be external or a lotta mods need to happen.

Sorry I missed the m2 drive somehow. So you're planning to run your operating system off the much slower drive? Everything this goes through tat and gets bottlenecked. You can always partition and have both on same drive: os and certain programs, and then gaming, but it's pointless to put your games on it if you're gonna have your os via sata

It's like how an am3+ chip could be used in an am2 board...but it'd be limited by the fsb

Last edited:
I'm in the process of building almost this same thing but in an 8 core 4.0, and with double the ram and an onboard m.1 ssd, but same case and I THINK that's the same Mobo. However..depending on future needs I have amuch bigger psu ..and a vidcard to go with it(don't remember what kind, Nvidia something, but cost as much as the CPU(I ordered and started building it back in November and got sid tracked...it's not for me lol. Def paid more than your budget. Just under 1500 before tax, but much higher performance on every level. I wish could still share Newegg shopping carts, I used to use that to propose builds all the time.

And btw..that case and many more these days...can be interesting to work with. If you plan to use an optical drive ever...it's gotta be external or a lotta mods need to happen.

Sorry I missed the m2 drive somehow. So you're planning to run your operating system off the much slower drive? Everything this goes through tat and gets bottlenecked. You can always partition and have both on same drive: os and certain programs, and then gaming, but it's pointless to put your games on it if you're gonna have your os via sata

It's like how an am3+ chip could be used in an am2 board...but it'd be limited by the fsb
Thanks for that. I’ll probably drop the 2.5 ssd. I already have an external optical just in case luckily. I think my new build came out to about $1400ish. I’ll be going piece by piece until I have it all. Unless tax refund season is nice and I can convince my wife lol

Where is the RGB Ram?!

I would listen to these guys and get a better GPU and more ram.

I personally also like liquid cooling for my CPU. For example a Kraken.

Where a "Corsair PC" can not have a better named for a computer.
( )_( )
( ' -' )
((")_(")

fishy-computer-case-featured.jpg

Where is the RGB Ram?!

I would listen to these guys and get a better GPU and more ram.

I personally also like liquid cooling for my CPU. For example a Kraken.
I posted a new list of parts like 2 posts up. I upped it to 32gb ram (RGB ram) and upgraded the card also.

Ok so I added more ram to 32gb, and I changed the case because that original case blocked some USB ports on the mobo.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.60 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($178.06 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($162.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($649.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Anidees AI Crystal Cube ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1784.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-14 21:42 EST-0500
You don't want home, there's shit for controls on home.and I don't understand how a case could block us ports on a Mobo...the I/o panel takes care of all that. If the motherboard you got is the same I got in November(or similar I think I got msi board and card) you may have 2 m.2 slots. As you said about ditching the Sara one, you can go with 2 rather than a bigger on partitioned.

Also, of you're not using an aftermarket cooler, you don't need thermal paste.

Gotta see if I can pull up what I ordered cause it was just a hair lower with nys sales tax, but I got win7 pro instead of 10(hate 10 but if need to upgrade, it's free, and guaranteed to be pro), but I swear I got a lot more performance outta the setup.

Edit: found and posted below. As a rule, I always put the most thought into the mobo/CPU. Those are the biggest pains to replace, and give you the most room for expansion. I also try to get more powah than needed to support this upgrades. This one is only 850w, but my personal one is 1050+I also got the UPS to support it, and that thing wasn't cheap, but my computer runs 24/7 and is the entire data center for the house)

Last edited:
Ok I got everything off Newegg I think,.
Windows Pro runs about $185 with tax whether it's 7 or 10.
+
ORDER SUMMARY

CPU: I would go with Ryzen 5000 series (Better latency/Power) if budget wont allow it i would go for 3700 (More cores and threads).

Motherboard: I would go with x570 chipset, i ALWAYS stick with ASUS motherboards.

RAM: Not less than 32GB with a least speed of 3200.

Case: I would pick a mesh case for Ryzen CPU build for better air flow, example: CoolerMaster H500.

PSU: Not less than 750W with a Gold 80PLUS rating, I never choose outside of Corsair or Coolermaster PSUs.

GPU: Long debate here but i would go with a PCIE-4.0 capable GPU card. Not that it can even saturate a PCIE-3.0 bandwidth but if you pick a modern PCIE-4.0 GPU card you are securing your future.

Storage: You have a NVMe PCIE-4.0 board, why would you pick an old storage?? I would go with Samsung 980 Pro NVMe with 1TB at least that supports 7GB/Sec speed. Secondary Storage i would still use EVO 970 and never bottleneck myself in SATA bandwidth like the Samsung 800 series SSDs.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 or the chrome version (Black colored) or maybe Be-Quiet Coolers. Noctua will make your assembling life way easier, better cooling and better efficiency.

I'm currently building a new PC atm, have about half the parts bought atm, rest is on order. I'm upgrading from an original Alienware Aurora (R1, which btw 6 boxes with zero issues lol) heh, as I gave my decent computer to my son after his tanked.

I'm going with:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard: Rog Strix x570-F Gaming
Ram: 32gb (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO Black (4 sticks of RAM to get that performance boost from the Ryzen CPU)
Case: Lian Li 011 XL (Black)
CPU Cooler: Lian li GALAHAD 360MM HIGH PERFORMANCE RGB CPU WATER COOLER
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W, Fully Modular
Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-E 4.0 X4 NVME SOLID STATE DRIVE and Seagate 4TB IRONWOLF NAS 5900RPM 64MB CACHE INTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Went with a slightly more expensive NvME stick, as wanted a Gen4 since the board and CPU support it.

I also bought x9 Lian Li UNI SL120 ADDRESSABLE RGB BLACK 120MM FAN to complete the RGB madness. I went fully with the Lian Li theme so I would only have to worry about one program to control all my RGB and cooling ( I know the memory is Corsair but the MB will just stick it to one colour).

The only thing I haven't bought/ordered yet is a GPU, I'm probably going to get some form of the AMD 6800, as I should get a minor performance boost when using one with the Ryzen CPU

Could hold out to mid/late february ( if you have a GFX card to use till then.. Nvidia anounced new 3060's with 12g of video ram being released.. and hope you get lucky enough to gnab one before the reseller bots do.

I'm hoping to grab one.. but i'm not getting my hopes up..

You don't want home, there's shit for controls on home.and I don't understand how a case could block us ports on a Mobo...the I/o panel takes care of all that. If the motherboard you got is the same I got in November(or similar I think I got msi board and card) you may have 2 m.2 slots. As you said about ditching the Sara one, you can go with 2 rather than a bigger on partitioned.

Gotta see if I can pull up what I ordered cause it was just a hair lower with nys sales tax, but I got win7 pro instead of 10(hate 10 but if need to upgrade, it's free, and guaranteed to be pro), but I swear I got a lot more performance outta the setup.

Edit: found and posted below. As a rule, I always put the most thought into the mobo/CPU. Those are the biggest pains to replace, and give you the most room for expansion. I also try to get more powah than needed to support this upgrades. This one is only 850w, but my personal one is 1050+I also got the UPS to support it, and that thing wasn't cheap, but my computer runs 24/7 and is the entire data center for the house)
I miss read the website. The case I picked had front USB ports but the mobo didn’t have a header to hook them up. Either way, I prefer the new cube case I picked. Compact enough to fit in my desk and off the dustier floor. And large enough to accommodate 13” gpu if need be.

I thought that Win 7 to Win 10 free upgrade was only within that first year that Win 10 was released? Cuz it was so shitty they had to entice people to go to it LOL

+1 for the UPS.. Protect your investment.. putting a battery pack in front of your outlet gives you filtered output power as well as a bit of time to shut down if the commercial AC dies.. Where i live, we get alot of power interruptions.. not just OUTAGES, but a TON of sag/swells in our voltage, and thats killer for electronics trying to regulate a DC output... I have UPS's installed all over.. on my TV and stereo, the headless linuxbox and my router, my water softener system, my gaming machine..

Even if its like a 1100W UPS, it is worth it..

This my hack job data rack in my basement lol.. has my UPS and ATS, with 4 x 92 Amp hour batteries beside.. keeps my boxes running !
1610827102362.png

Last edited:
I thought that Win 7 to Win 10 free upgrade was only within that first year that Win 10 was released? Cuz it was so shitty they had to entice people to go to it LOL

+1 for the UPS.. Protect your investment.. putting a battery pack in front of your outlet gives you filtered output power as well as a bit of time to shut down if the commercial AC dies.. Where i live, we get alot of power interruptions.. not just OUTAGES, but a TON of sag/swells in our voltage, and thats killer for electronics trying to regulate a DC output... I have UPS's installed all over.. on my TV and stereo, the headless linuxbox and my router, my water softener system, my gaming machine..

Even if its like a 1100W UPS, it is worth it..

This my hack job data rack in my basement lol.. has my UPS and ATS, with 4 x 92 Amp hour batteries beside.. keeps my boxes running !
View attachment 27423
I've done the upgrade dozens of times in the last few years. They never discontinued it just don't advertise anymore.

And it's still shitty, that's why I prefer 7 lol, or at least pro...and apparently they don't plan to ever release a successor, just update 10 forever.

@LorDeth if you have "unclean power" you need to talk to the power company to replace the caps on the poles. there are ways to monitor spikes and drops. when you start doing that and prove it to them they will do something about it. along with your batteries a cap bank would be useful and choke coils to bar and store those spikes. what do you use the home lab for? i have a r 610 with proxmox and several vm's for stuff i do. a tower server for plex sonarr and radarr and another tower server for ripping and storage (nas)

IRL - Rate this PC build. Update: Found a GPU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back