• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Quality of Life and Performance (1 Viewer)

InfidelOne

RedCents
71¢
Hey Guys!

So I have 6 toons freshly setup and i've managed to make it from 1 to 105 (No PLing) with the help of MQ2. I am at the point now where i am trying to tackle content that requires very well tuned behavior. Hope I can get some tips to make everything run a little better. Just for a starting point here are a few of my questions:

• Can I increase the "clock speed" or these programs? I presume that there is a frequency that MQ2 is set to check for conditions, can I increase this? My computer is pretty beefy...
  • Ohshits and downshits and kissassist - Am I losing performance by using kissassist? Would I benefit if the bulk of the behaviors were written into Melee? There might be some other issue at hand but the ohshits,etc programmed onto my SK seem far more reliable than, say, the BURN settings programmed into kissassist. Willing to admit this might just be anecdotal though.
  • Is it recommended that I used Wineq2 for performance?
  • Any suggestion how I can set it so that if CHASE is on my toons all drop whatever the hell they are doing and follow the tank as though their life depended on it?
  • Last and finally, is there like a syntax checker or something I can run for the ohshits?

EDIT - a few more I thought of..

Is there a limit to ohshits and downshits, character or otherwise? I read in the guide somewhere that if they were over 255 characters the program crashes or something but I am pretty sure that some of the ones I have are much longer than that, also I want to say that Melee only supports like 20 shits or something but I have seen some far in excess.

My characters all have auto accept on, rez accept on and loot on. sometimes they dont accept party invites, rezes, or loot no-drop things that aren't lore. This might play into the performace questions above but I thought id mention it.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if my nomenclature is way off the mark, wasn't a CS major =P

First, speed. There are a number of guides for improving PC performance, but I imagine what you are looking for is reaction time, which in turn is a matter of tweaking your toons to get what you want out of them.

MQ2Melee's holyshits vs KA....depends on how it is set up vs what you want it to do. MQ2Melee is a plugin, and runs independent of what ever macro is going on. It will fire holy/down shits when your toon is not otherwise casting. As in....the plugin moves faster and checks stuff more often, but it waits on the macro.

Maskoi has been working on KA to make it run melee stuff smoother, and improved it's healing. You may want to research the KA thread some for tips on fixing issues you have, or ask about them.

WinEQ, depends on your set up. There are plugins that duplicate what winEQ does to assist with performance, it is recommended you only use 1, not EQ's, MQ, and winEQ.

I believe someone mentioned a 60 holy/downshits limit

As for the performance thing, depends on your set up. Those being handled by plugin or macro?

Last edited:
There is a lot that depends on how you have EQ configured. If your tunes, in the background are lagging. Based on what you said about your computer being beefy, it is most likely something to do with EQ. Make sure your Background FPS is set to something realistic and make sure your Foreground FPS isn't to high. I have found that poor performance when boxing normally has more to do with EQ's configuration, than MQ2 or KA.

it is recommended you only use 1, not EQ's, MQ, and winEQ.

I think InnerSpace/ISBoxer also has something. Personally I use MQ2FPS, so I turn off EQPlayNice in WinEQ2 and set the built in FPS limiting to unlimited (both background and foreground)

Ideally you shouldn't be dropping below 30 FPS :P but you can probably get away with a bit less depending on how much the background toons have to do.

Oh man changing the background and foreground FPS CHANGED EVERYTHING! Big thanks mate. Also knowing the primacy between how macros and how plugins work is gonna let me program things to run much more smoothly. Thanks to both of you.

Don't forget Clip plane, Sky type (turn sky OFF)

All adv graphics crank down and especially turn off ALL particle effects

Another piece of advice is use /hideafk players all and use /afk ingame. This will hide everyone's character model, usually takes 20% or so off my CPU usage when I am boxing my whole raid.

As for your programs run speed, that has to do with the Turbo built in, KA has turbo set really low because it isn't mean to be Min/max, it's meant to be Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS). Therefore, it can never do the maximized DPS a character can do because it simply can't attack fast enough to do it. It's not a flaw with the program imo since it works amazing and increasing the turbo to a spammy amount will probably cause more issues than it will fix. Some classes (like wizards) if they try and use a Force and cast a spell at the same time it can 'hang' meaning it'll try and cast both over and over and over and do nothing instead.

I assume this and other issues like this are why we see KA with a slower than usual speed. You can set everything up in MQ2 Melee which is what most melee do to maximize their DPS output

Just curious, but what did you set your foreground and background FPS's to? I've been finding my guys have been lagging more lately, for some reason... Like combat in KA, seems to start a bit late, and then the parse data at the end of the fight sometimes only shows up like 10sec after the mobs been dead, not to mention my tank/puller (SK) still targeting the corpse when there's an add standing right there waiting to be beaten..

Just curious, but what did you set your foreground and background FPS's to? I've been finding my guys have been lagging more lately, for some reason... Like combat in KA, seems to start a bit late, and then the parse data at the end of the fight sometimes only shows up like 10sec after the mobs been dead, not to mention my tank/puller (SK) still targeting the corpse when there's an add standing right there waiting to be beaten..

Foreground I usually keep around 50 - 60 and background around 30 - 40

I know what you mean about the tank being slow and not recognizing an add in camp and keeps targeting a corpse. I get that too sometimes when I am running more on a computer than usual or I haven't restarted that computer in days.

As for KA starting combat late, I think it's pretty common for it to do this honestly. One of the reasons it can't ever do max DPS is this. I don't have it happen on my computers that only run 1 group almost ever, however my main computer gets it A LOT which I run 36 on.

Leads me to believe it has something to do with the processor and how it does a round robin through all of the clients. My processor isn't running at max, 60% actually, however, since I have so many clients up I believe the cause of this is it goes through them 1 by 1 by 1 and "checks" for mobs or to do dps etc etc.

The reason I believe this is the case for the issue is because on my main computer I can't maximize my DPS even while playing the game because my wizards can't cast fast enough. With 36 clients up by the time my keypress round robins them all there's a solid .25 - .5 of lost time when they could start casting another spell but don't since it has to go through each client 1 by 1

I think it also depends on how quickly your MA can target an incoming mob. In all the zones where it's wide open and I have clear pulling lanes the MT and MA pick up new mobs very quickly (even running out away from the group 20 units or so). In areas where the mob has to round a corner or otherwise get into LoS before the tank engages it's slower.

Maybe there's a processor issue, too, but this is what my observation has been.

I'm running a modern i7 cpu, 16 gigs ram, decent rig.. I'm not seeing any bottlenecks in CPU usage.. I think Lurk hit the nail on the head though, if I dont reboot my pc often enough, it starts to lag like this.. which I would suspect is indicative of memory fragmenting... I thought just closing my EQ clients may have helped, but I think a full on reboot will be necessary..

I also do agree Sum1 that zone LOS and terrain does affect the ability to target a mob when still a distance away.. but in this case, I'm referring to after targeting the mob (the MA ring around the mob is already there, so I know its targeted) that he actually engages in combat..

Hey, I'm definitely not complaining LOL, it still runs an enchanter about 10x better than I ever would! But I'm a war at heart :)

Question - Quality of Life and Performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back