• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Poll - Poll - How to pronounce Luclin? (1 Viewer)

How do you pronounce Luclin?

• Loose-lin

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Luck-lin

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • Luke-lin

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Some other crazy way!

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
Last edited:
Was Loose-Lin for the majority of EQ, but after learning about Luclin in the last 2 years or so, I do end up thinking of it as Luck-Lin now.

Luck-Lin from Day 1 for me.. I have heard some folks pronounce it as Loose-Lin in chat channels and kinda drove me crazy.... but then again they also call a Beer Stein (Stine) a STEEEN ... errrrghhh :doh:

I've played exclusively on the Luclin server since I started EQ in 2001ish. It was then, and always has been, "luck-lin". Any other pronunciation is objectively wrong and you should feel much shame for having thought otherwise. Like that scene from Billy Madison. "Loose-lin" people are Adam Sandler and I'm the moderator telling you how wrong you are.

For the longest time I ignored the middle L and pronounced it loose-in. Wasn’t until voice chat on tlp raid guild that I realized I was doing it wrong. Also the time I realized it was aggro not argo.

For the longest time I ignored the middle L and pronounced it loose-in. Wasn’t until voice chat on tlp raid guild that I realized I was doing it wrong. Also the time I realized it was aggro not argo.
Yeah I was always getting argo mixed up and since I am not a power player I am very timid in some things. Then I realized that I use Argo Corn starch in my baking and no way would you want to use that on a mob.
1632840003365.png

I say loose-lin, but I know it's Luck-lin. And I don't care. I think there's a video from The Everquest Show on YouTube where they ask the dev team to pronounce it >_<.
/agree

And yeah, they had a video where they asked several different groups of their own devs, artists, authors, etc. to pronounce a handful of different names from the game. There was a lot of disagreement. It was amusing. :)

It's Key-nos. Don't hurt my brain with improper pronunciation even if it turns out to be proper. Next you'll tell me dark elves in D&D aren't pronounced Drow like cow.

Everyone who chose "luck-lin" or "luke-lin" are wrong, and this is why:

The most incorrect way to pronounce "luclin" is "luck-lin." The only English words where "Luck" is the beginning sound in a word are words where the first four letters are literally "luck." All other words that begin with "luc" and are followed my a consonant (almost always "r") are pronounced "luke" ... which is incidentally the second most incorrect way to pronounce "luclin."

Leaving the only actually accurate way to pronounce the word, and that's "loose"-lin.

Data: https://www.thefreedictionary.com/words-that-start-with-luc

Nice try. “If you ignore the data I’m producing and only read the improper inference that I’m saying…it leaves the only way to pronounce it the way I’m saying.”

As you mentioned, in every example you gave, the one followed by the consonant is pronounced using the hard consonant sound, but you don’t give a reason that that’s wrong in this case. Doing it by example from that list would actually point to “luke” being correct since there is no refutation where a vowel followed by a consonant uses a soft sound. You also have examples of where a c followed by a vowel makes a hard sound (meaning the only cases in your example where there is a soft c sound are followed by the letters i or e). That puts “Luke” as the only unrefuted example from the list.

While your argument could stand for “you need a k to make the luck sound because no other example has this” none of the examples matter because we don’t pronounce by example and it’s not an English word.

Interestingly, the majority of words on that list derive from the Latin “lux” which is pronounced “lucks.”

For more examples using real words (but, again, none of the examples matter):

Another one is — Do you pronounce the abbreviation for Spirit of Wolf with “sow” like a mother pig (or “cow”) or do you pronounce it with “sow” like to plant seeds (or “go”)? If you base it on the “of” sound, it’s always the latter. Do you change the pronunciation when you use it as a verb versus a noun?

Last edited:
Literally all of those examples are derived from the base form of "nuclear" so it stands to reason it would pull the pronunciation with it. Luclin isn't, though!

Well, yes, if you only look at words derived from nuclear you will only see words derived from nuclear. But I’m pretty sure Euclidean isn’t derived from nuclear.

My wife doesn’t really read full words, she just kind of “gets the gist” of a word and yolos it. For a long time she pronounced one of my character’s surnames wrong because she saw a word that wasn’t there and just rolled with it because it made sense to her.

I always pronounced it as Lu clin. Now with Qeynos try this .... Say SonyEQ and then play it backwards and see what it sounds like.
you can't say "i prounce luclin "luclin""!

are you saying you pronounce it "loo clin"?

I always pronounced it as Lu clin. Now with Qeynos try this .... Say SonyEQ and then play it backwards and see what it sounds like.
That’s not even on the board!

Playing SonyEQ backwards probably sounds a lot like you’re summoning a demon.

Poll - Poll - How to pronounce Luclin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back