• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - PC Specs for 12 toons? (1 Viewer)

I'd start with 1 GB RAM per session plus a couple gig for the OS, and a logical CPU core per session. For 12 running high detail that'd mean 16 GB RAM and at least a 6 core processor (with hyper threading enabled) to start.

More resources are better, and there are ways to optimize performance if you are willing to sacrifice the high detail requirement.

16 gigs of ram, 6+ core cpu with hyperthreading, and a reasonably new dedicated gpu should be able to run 12 eq's with everything at high details. You might need something like eqwire running to reduce all the cpu/gpu resources being used on background toons that aren't being actually rendered. If ya do use eqwire or similar, could probably get away with some of the older 4 core cpu's. Personally I have an amd ryzen 2600x with 16 gigs of ram and a geforce 2080. I have had it run 31 chars well, although i do have graphics turned down some. Only issue I have had with it is when I logged in more characters on an install of eq that had logging turned on and ended up overwhelming my ssd with too many logs going. One other note, make sure you have an ssd to run eq from. That will help with loading times alot.

To give you a benchmarking idea, my 7 year old i7-5930 with 64 gb of ram and a GTX 970 has gotten 50-60 up and running at once before (with eqwire on mq2, with framelimiter setup on next). Ill be able to tell you hopefully tomorrow what a i7-9700 with 64 gb of ram and a gtx 970 can handle tomorrow :)

I recently bought a new gaming laptop and it easily ran 12 accounts off of my LTE hotspot connection at full graphics. It handles video editing, music production and gaming with ease all while staying relatively cool. My old Razer 14" laptop with a 1060 in it ran 12 accounts as well but not without lowering a bit of details.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...pse-grey-eclipse-grey/6448848.p?skuId=6448848

I had the Rog Zephyrus 14" which was also nice but I really liked having the 1440p screen and it ran a bit hot for my tastes.

The laptop Deathlock linked is also a beast as well.

Have to ask every gaming pc I ever had ran so hot and the days I binged gamed - well doesn't work well for even a 6 hour camp. You find that the case? Probably haven't had one in oh 15 years, so.....

1625018239667.png

I have a PC I use to play most of my stuff on, the laptop was for away trips. I built it so I used the above case. Super sweet and cools well. Ignore the shitty Geforce, I had to give my son my good card.

1625018398463.png

View attachment 31093

I have a PC I use to play most of my stuff on, the laptop was for away trips. I built it so I used the above case. Super sweet and cools well. Ignore the shitty Geforce, I had to give my son my good card.

View attachment 31094

Nice case. Thats what I get for leveling my group in fire and responding same time.... Meant the laptop. So it's for short stints not long eq sessions.

Curious, how hot does it run? I love laptops. I don't have the space in my house (I work from home also) for a tower setup. I'm always in the market as I burn through them every few years.

I can't complain. I had to remove all the bloatware first. There is software that allows you to set the fans to quiet mode, which I do when I play eq. I can run 12 toons without hearing a whisper from it. I keep it on a cooling pad (air intake is on the bottom of the laptop) to make sure it has enough airflow. The laptop is WAY OVERKILL for EQ. But I like to play Valorant and Doom on ultra high settings, this is where this machine shines.

Last edited:
Tech - PC Specs for 12 toons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back