• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - PC Performance Problem (1 Viewer)

RedCents
248¢
Hoping the hive mind can help me. I have a fairly stout PC, which based on other threads on here should be capable of running 54 accounts, but I am only able to get 18 on before I run into performance issues. I have a Ryzen 5 5600G, RTX3060, and 128GB RAM with an SSD. I have MQ and EQ folders skipped for firewall/AV software. I use the frame limiter settings with background set to 1 FPS. What might I be missing? I attached my eqclient.ini in case there is something glaringly wrong there.

Attachments

• eqclient.ini
    12.1 KB · Views: 4
Hoping the hive mind can help me. I have a fairly stout PC, which based on other threads on here should be capable of running 54 accounts, but I am only able to get 18 on before I run into performance issues. I have a Ryzen 5 5600G, RTX3060, and 128GB RAM with an SSD. I have MQ and EQ folders skipped for firewall/AV software. I use the frame limiter settings with background set to 1 FPS. What might I be missing? I attached my eqclient.ini in case there is something glaringly wrong there.
Can you post a snip of using your favorite monitoring tool of where the bottleneck is happening? I had the 5600X and after about 30 it started getting flaky.

1678492951406.png
Last time I went looking on forums / reddit / redguides /mmobugs, I for the life of me kept seeing people refer to the setting, but never what the settings was in the INI. By default for me it was missing and I had to add it to the ini.
What is the setting to do that?

As far as tech specs for EQ, I always held firm to 1 processor core and 1GB of RAM per account (MAYBE you can get 2 accounts per core depending on your setup and chipset / graphics cards). Half Frame Rates and low graphical settings including draw distances for all models, particles, and geometry. One thing I see people do often that has even plagued Windows 10/11 users, is they assume that things will become balanced when windows assigns the instances to all CPU cores at once. This simply isn't how it works. You have to assign affinity manually to get the best performance (via task manager). You can use IS Boxer / innerspace to help you with it when autologin is attempted. Just make sure to use round robin to load balance.

FYI: I am speaking on primarily AMD CPU's and set ups. It may be a little different for Intel. Not completely sure though.

My 2 cents..

Can you post a snip of using your favorite monitoring tool of where the bottleneck is happening? I had the 5600X and after about 30 it started getting flaky.
I wish I could post a snip, just had 53 clients on and my PC completely froze. Had to kill power to shutdown. Just before that happened I was at 57% cpu, 59% ram, and 16% gpu usage. Nothing overheated.

What about Windows itself? Using Ultimate Performance power plan? Decluttered to remove unnecessary background tasks? Used Task Manager to disable Startup programs?

Also, search for threads on Process Lasso to really fine tune things like CPU Affinity and thread priorities.

are you using anything like one drive or file syncing?

I have an AMD 3950 + Nvidia 2060 with 64 GB of ram.

Out of the box I was able to load around 20 characters, then I'd start to see a significant drop in performance.

I spent the better part of a weekend searching for advice and trying A-B comparisons to see what things worked or didn't.

I ended up being able to get ~ 40 clients.

For me the best results where:

#1 - Disable background rendering - 0 fps
#2 - My AMD 3950 ran much better with CPUAffinty=-1 and MQ2CPULoad unloaded
#3 - Actor/Clip plane set to minimum

Most of my time boxing 30+ was just grinding XP for guild members and doing some older raids. Sadly we got hit with the suspension waves last year and I'm now just boxing 1 group. Maybe load up 9x TS mules, etc.

PS. I am the author of MQ2CPULoad. The MQ2 CPU load balancer there was written back when two cores was normal and a 4x core system cost an arm and a leg. Today the CPU schedulers baked into win10 are much better and the cost of switching cores is a lot less. There is no reason to have it loaded anymore.

Last edited:
Problem - PC Performance Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back