• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - PC for EQ? (1 Viewer)

JackDaniels

RedCents
306¢
So on another thread a few things came up about my system that isnt running well. I am about as Ignorant as they come, I bought it as a refurb from new egg and put in 32g ram and a ssd which is running eq but i struggle zoning even 1 char into pok/lobby and the computer just doesnt seem happy running more then 2. Should this system be struggling ?

Last edited:
What do you mean by struggling? Does it take long, but then it works? And how do you notice the “not happy” part?

Oh and better delete that picture, it doesn’t really help anyways (intel i5-3470/32g ram does of course, but nobody needs to know your deviceID/productId)

If you don’t have a dedicated graphics card I think I know what’s up though, if it’s stuttering like crazy, the integrated gpu is out of video memory.
Is stuttering the main issue you’re having?

ive got an old radeon card, Not happy is like it takes a while to zone, and when i do finally come thru the entire world is grey, no color at all, i walk a few steps as it stutters and then it will pop into full color/graphics.

well that’s that… still only 4gigs of video memory.. and your description sounds like a video memory problem
Are you using the old models? Did you try to reduce all settings in the es client and that setup tool (if that still exists…)?

ive got an old radeon card, Not happy is like it takes a while to zone, and when i do finally come thru the entire world is grey, no color at all, i walk a few steps as it stutters and then it will pop into full color/graphics.
I'm currently running a 7700X and an RTX 4070 w/ 64gb ram and I experience the grey world thing when zoning in to PoKnowledge, I always figured its a quirk of a 25 year old game.

Just started back up on FV. the computer came with a 250ssd, C drive has the operation system on it, i put a 500g SSD in there D drive which is what EQ is on and i have a 3 tb reg drive for all my storage and crap. I am EXTREMELY rural tho and the internet connection isnt great, 2-6 mbs on average, but i figured that would be my lag issues sometime or high ping i didnt figure it would be the graphic issue or the overall just downward progression feel of the computer.

well that’s that… still only 4gigs of video memory.. and your description sounds like a video memory problem
Are you using the old models? Did you try to reduce all settings in the es client and that setup tool (if that still exists…)?
your PC will allocate ram out of the system pool if it runs into GPU ram limits, HOWEVER, EQ barely touchess EQ RAM (was designed before vid cards really took off), so even a 2G card is enough, its going to want system RAM and cpu flops.

check out Framelimiter and also, make sure your not displaying like your entire guild (offline and alts), cause if you have lots of members, EVERY zone it repopulates and will cause issues in large guilds. Also, @kaen01 has a link to Fanra's semi optimization guide, id give it a look.

Something old school was to check your settings under memory mode. That setting determines how much memory (RAM) EQ will use.

Go to options then display then advance and then on lower left you will see memory mode. The "least" setting can cause that grey rendition on zoning.

Mine seem to be set at "balanced" now. Dunno if that was something they changed in the game or?

Make sure your drivers are updated, they may have not done that when they refurbished it.

your PC will allocate ram out of the system pool if it runs into GPU ram limits, HOWEVER, EQ barely touchess EQ RAM (was designed before vid cards really took off), so even a 2G card is enough, its going to want system RAM and cpu flops.

check out Framelimiter and also, make sure your not displaying like your entire guild (offline and alts), cause if you have lots of members, EVERY zone it repopulates and will cause issues in large guilds. Also, @kaen01 has a link to Fanra's semi optimization guide, id give it a look.
Thank you, i did happen to join like one of the largest family guilds on server and i dont have those turned off. and i will look at the link tyvm

IRL - PC for EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back