• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Parsec, remote desktop (1 Viewer)

lowres09

RedCents
112¢
Hey gang, thought some of you might find this interesting if you're in a quandary such as I have been lately. I was looking for a remote desktop application and everything I tried was falling short.

Importantly it needed to be: free, lightweight, responsive, and easy to use. I looked at a few LAN solutions for this but nothing seemed to be particularly response enough for running EQ. Teamviewer, LogMeIn, many flavors of VNC, PCAdmin... the list seemed endless. Then I stumbled on to this app: https://parsec.app/

Literally ticked all the boxes. Light, fast, free, and easy to use.

Sounds like I'm doing a plug, but I figure if some of you, like me, have their boxes running on other machines but need a reliable way to remote desktop to them... this was a great solution for me.

Hey gang, thought some of you might find this interesting if you're in a quandary such as I have been lately. I was looking for a remote desktop application and everything I tried was falling short.

Importantly it needed to be: free, lightweight, responsive, and easy to use. I looked at a few LAN solutions for this but nothing seemed to be particularly response enough for running EQ. Teamviewer, LogMeIn, many flavors of VNC, PCAdmin... the list seemed endless. Then I stumbled on to this app: https://parsec.app/

Literally ticked all the boxes. Light, fast, free, and easy to use.

Sounds like I'm doing a plug, but I figure if some of you, like me, have their boxes running on other machines but need a reliable way to remote desktop to them... this was a great solution for me.

only thing about parsec, and please correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't it require you to have an internet connection that it authenticates with a server first before allowing your remote connections between computers (EVEN on a LAN) ?

I was going to use this, but then decided that I didn't need an application doing that.. I ended up using !Machine (NoMachine).. it works great on my pc's on my LAN, between windows and linux boxes mixed..

Now, if parsec has updated since I last looked, and has allowed a way to bypass that initial requirement, please let me know, as I'm always playing with these, looking for the best performing ones..

Cheers
LorDeth

I had seen this post about Parsec the a couple of days ago.
It sounded really interesting, and headed over to the website to check it out.

Much as LorDeth has said, is why I didnt progress further.
I wasnt looking for a remote access solution, i.e. over internet, but just local network, with no internet access.

Windows own, Remote Desktop Connection, works to a degree, although far from ideal.

I can connect and control windows and other applications fluidly without issue. But its EQ that has some features that keep me looking for other options.

First, is movement sensitivity. its too quick. Try to pan around and your in the clouds or at the floor.
Second is to disconnect the session and reconnect, with graphic of the EQ instance is lost, kind of frozen, but the game isnt. The characters are still doing activities from KA, will respond to box chat commands, and even got them to zone, with hopes loading screen and back to game world would help. It didnt. Tried, /reloadui, no success with that either.

In saying that, RDC is working for me at the moment. In as far if you are minimal in wanting mouse interactions, and some keyboard it can work. e.g. playing with inventory. click and cast something. Entering commands in the chat wndow. Letting them play auto with macros and you are very much hands off, as drive the group with another computer.

If your Windows build is "professional" as opposed to "home", then RDC is freely available to use as the host machine being connected to.
"home" machines can be clients that connect drive applications on the "professional" host.

I simply call out, RDC is better as something than having nothing available to use. Although i am open to alternatives that work, isolated on local network only.

I use it for remote and local connection so it fits my needs perfectly. Can remote into home gaming PC while at work and play as if it was local. Slight graphics scaling with text at certain fontsize though. Doesn't have low fps cap either so lag and movement is smooth.

Have to find what works for you though.

I've been using it for ~6 months now and love it, glad to see it posted here!

I use parsec as well on both PC and Phone, works great. I also use an app called Monflo when I want to play on my phone with an overlay so I can do things without external mouse & keyboard.

This is a little older but hoping someone can help me out. Is there anyway to connect to multiple computers from parsec? Trying to connect to all 5 of my "truebox" NUCs from my main PC with parsec but can only figure out how to show one of them at a time. Cant seem to open multiple instances of the parsec app

No I don't think so, the best I managed was I had pc 2 open on pc 1 on parsec. On pc 3 I connected up to pc 1 and could still see the open parsec window, I.e. Pc3 could see 1 and 2. A bit cumbersome though to get open and running.

It's a pity it's not a feature, I paid up for the warp membership for the second screen option and running on a headless machine.

To anyone unsure though, parsec is great, performance way beyond teamviewer and standard remote desktop, it's built for remote gaming. Haven't tried !Machine mentioned above.

Parsec looks interesting!

I am using AnyDesk which works better than TeamViewer and does not think you are running a megacorp..

With AnyDesk I can have multiple connections open to other computers.

I use Parsec for MacOS (my daily driver) and Android (rarely) when I want to _play games remotely_ (LAN & WAN) on my Windows PC. The "virtual monitors" allow me to spread Parsec across all 3 monitors of my remote machine, while the gaming PC is fully headless. Other than some keymapping fun between MacOS and Windows, it feels damn near native play when on LAN. I also use Splashtop Business to connect, literally, any other device I own (Apple, Android, Windows, Linux, etc...) to just about any other device I own, but usually just to connect from my iOS devices to the gaming PC when not local.

Don't discount Steam Link w/ a KB+M on AppleTV and iPads, as well.

Thanks all, I just started using Parsec and it seems very nice.
Thats Nice GIF

Yup, a year later and I'm still signed up to it, I find it great, cant reccomend it enough.

They've been bought out by Unity a few months back, I'm just hoping they dont go to shit because of it.

This reminds me of splashtop
Parsec when you have good hardware (encoder on one end and decoder on the other end) and a good connection can feel more like 'you are there' looking right at a monitor attached to the computer. Splashtop however seems to be able to get a connection more reliably (Parsec just randomly won't show a computer, then oh there it is, nope, gone again) - and it can be used on just about any PC regardless of hardware or connection quality (eg if connection goes bad Splashtop seems to adapt better)

Windows RDP creates it's own render target and can be pretty smooth too - but if your connection gets disconnected because of that render target you are going to have to force close and relaunch all your instances - so I wouldn't recommend that for anybody to rely on.

IRL - Parsec, remote desktop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back