• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - New User Question about which toons to make on free account vs paid. (1 Viewer)

RedCents
969¢
Hi Reds Community,

I'm a new user. I'm starting a new 6 box and I have 3 paid and 3 free accounts. I would like suggestions on which toons to put on the free and which to put on paid accounts. Also, some help with group composition. I'm not chasing the top DPS, so I don't want 3 zerkers. I would like diversity. My thought was: 1) SK (main on paid), 2) Mage (on paid), 3) Sham (on paid), 4) Zerker (free), 5) Beast Master (free), 6) Enchanter (free). I bought the Reds 3-month package to try it out. I have everything installed correctly and could make my group run together and wave - I keep getting interrupted by work or I would be done with the video tutorials. I love the program and I can't wait to use it playing. I really like all the info it gives (color coding the names, level in the target window, boxes in the group window, etc.). Of those 6, I am the least excited about the zerker - but, I'm willing to try it for the great DPS.

Other information that I'm working from: I was told that I would want the puller to be my main and to fully equip it. I have experience with a Bard and Mage - both raised from heroic. I have been back to the game for about 6 months, after taking 15 years off. My goal in playing is to have equipped characters, with good AAs. I would like to have a farm of high-level characters to learn how to play them all. I have the most experience with my Mage who is 115 and 22k AAs, and I raid with him. I picked the classes above because 5 of them have pets. My thought is that the "_ of Many" spells will work better for the mage with all the pets. Plus, the mage can make pet gear for the others. I have played around with a heroic Sham for a level, an SK heroic for about 5 levels, a beastmaster from level 1-25, Bard from 85-115, Ranger 85 to 108 (about half of that was support play and a half was AFK power-leveling). I'm not the greatest player - the game completely changed while I was away. I didn't play video games while away so I'm rusty.

Please comment; share any concerns about pitfalls I may run into, suggestions on if this group will work well together, will it allow me to learn Reds while leveling, etc. I've looked through the macros, but I'm too new to understand what most of them do. I plan on using the one for Artisians Prize. I would like suggestions on other useful plugins and Macros. Also, is there a way to make sure my 6-box always groups up automatically when I load them?

Thank you in advance for all the help,

Two main toons for a successful group. Main Tank - Paid and best gear possible, Crowd Control - Paid best gear possible (Bard or Chanter) If you go with a third paid I would do the same for a healer type that will get aggro time and again, after that all other dps can be f2p with snowbound armor. I I like to also go with a paid mage just for the best pet EM earring. A mage can hold off a mob if things go sour with the main tank. Just my 2 cents.

I came back with a similar scenario as yours. Hadn’t played video games or EQ in 15 years, since I was about 14.

I eventually decided to keep my tank gold, but everything else F2P. You can easily accomplish anything in game with this setup. Even my F2P zerkers with epic 2.0 and chat’s plugin put out 330k dps sustained end 1.1m on burns.

If my main wasn’t warrior, then I would sub whichever character was.

Instead of subbing your CC, I would buy the inexpensive Rk 2 spell upgrade. That way you can use the better resist adjusted mezz spells. I would allocate your subscriptions to melee characters. You’re going to want the best type 5 augs, which are prestige, because hdex increases crit rate. You’ll get more DPS and bang for your buck.

Of these classes I would have choosen the same 3 for payed account. Tank paid, out of double. Healer as second payed, most will agree. As third I would choose mag over cc, as in this case he can ot or even take over mt when sk get killed. Mage gains much more than enchanter.

I recently went through the same thing and came back to a completely different game than the one i played in the early 2000's. The good news is you found this community and everyone is amazingly helpful. To save you some time, here's a short list of things i've learned recently.

here's a nice thread about how to maximize your potential on ftp toons.

FTP / Silver Accounts (Non-Prestige) Augs, Items, Clickes - Everquest Shadowknight Forums (eqshadowknight.net)

Also, is there a way to make sure my 6-box always groups up automatically when I load them?

YES! MQ2AutoGroup is awesome!

Other things I recommend giving a look that I have been using myself with great success:

RGMercs - If you favor minimal setup and don't like to tinker with ini files
MQ2DanNet - if you like RGMercs, it uses it anyways so might as well try it as an alternative to EQBC.
CWTN Plugins - Quickly get a toon going without complex setup and it will play to high degree of competence. Very intense, I couldn't believe how hard these toons go! Worth the $20 in all three cases I've purchased. I plan to get more in future!
MQ2Events - text driven conditions
MQ2React - more complex conditions using TLOs and such (Top-Level Objects - MacroQuest Wiki (macroquest2.com) )
MQ2AutoAccept - make your toons accept trades and agree to all sorts of things without having to tab over to them.
MQ2FeedMe - benefits of stat food without eating it!
MQ2RelayTells - relay tells to your toons to your MQ window so you don't miss them.
MQ2Say - say detection in case someone tries to be clever and use say instead of /tell to see if you are afk
MQ2SpawnMaster - keep track of spawns in zone
MQ2AutoLoot - looting is for suckers, let this do it for you.
MQ2TributeManager - automatically use tribute only when needed
MQ2Camera - Norrath is a beautiful place, see more of it at one time.

There's so much knowledge here. The learning curve can be steep in spots but everyone is eager to help. See you around!

Last edited:
Hi Reds Community,

Please comment; share any concerns about pitfalls I may run into, suggestions on if this group will work well together, will it allow me to learn Reds while leveling, etc. I've looked through the macros, but I'm too new to understand what most of them do. I plan on using the one for Artisians Prize. I would like suggestions on other useful plugins and Macros. Also, is there a way to make sure my 6-box always groups up automatically when I load them?

Thank you in advance for all the help,

Welcome aboard, I recently came back to EQ after a few years off myself.. and honestly, Redguides is what keeps me playing EQ, it makes it so much more fun for me. I love playing around with all the stuff that VV has to offer.

One other thing I dont know if you consider, is playing on the Test server. You could copy what you have for toons on live right now (just do /testcopy from your live server account, and everything in your inventory, bank, will be copied, but not your shared bank, nor any real estate or guild items). There's a pretty friendly community on test, and one major benefit, if you aren't able to sub all your accounts, you get automatic Gold status on test anyway, so you can get full AA/gear etc..

Sometimes its nice to test things out there first to see if you would like to play that class as a Gold acct on live..

Cheers,
LorDeth

I started with paying on warr. After a while I went with warr clr and ench. Now my whole main crew gets a krono each month since I get stuff to sell and can Krono them for free =)

Welcome btw. My only add to all the other great info here would be. Aside from the "Holy Trinity' (Tank, Healer, CrowdControl) Have fun with the choices. Sounds like you have a busy life, much like the rest of us. Some quality of life char might be of interest also. For example a Wiz or a Druid for ports or bards for travel songs. but don't be afraid to switch things up. Once your crew is high enough, to power level a different char is pretty simple.

Paid tank, Mage (gotta have that higher pet focus)paid zerker or beast(higher pet focus). Then buy the spell upgrade for healer>

I have now done that and left healer FTP and still solo heals me through all 4 ToV instances
I run gold Tank, Bst, Bard, FTP cleric zerk zerk. or other group is gold Tank, mage, mage, ftp chanter(upgraded) necro, cleric

IRL - New User Question about which toons to make on free account vs paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back