• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Toast - New to Redguides (Or so I thought . . .) (1 Viewer)

Jowston

RedCents
116¢
Hey everyone

I've been poking around playing Everquest again recently and, as I'm sure is no surprise to anyone here, I've been introduced to the world of boxing.

I spent a few hours last night messing around with the direct MQ2 build and getting MQ2Nav and stuff to work -- it was pretty awesome when I finally got the navmesh built and was able to actually use "/nav target ..." and watch my character just take off. However, as soon I tried to get my hands dirty with anything more advanced or actually handling combat.. yikes. I was hoping to get by with Box Chat commands and social macros from a single character, but it has definitely been a slog.

Whenever I lookup information on anything for MQ2, RedGuides is always the top result so I figured I should just jump into this community and get to work on making my group!

I guess my account was created in 2017 so this must not be my first time on RG, but I have no memory of ever actually getting the program going (or even making a post before)

Hey everyone

I've been poking around playing Everquest again recently and, as I'm sure is no surprise to anyone here, I've been introduced to the world of boxing.

I spent a few hours last night messing around with the direct MQ2 build and getting MQ2Nav and stuff to work -- it was pretty awesome when I finally got the navmesh built and was able to actually use "/nav target ..." and watch my character just take off. However, as soon I tried to get my hands dirty with anything more advanced or actually handling combat.. yikes. I was hoping to get by with Box Chat commands and social macros from a single character, but it has definitely been a slog.

Whenever I lookup information on anything for MQ2, RedGuides is always the top result so I figured I should just jump into this community and get to work on making my group!

I guess my account was created in 2017 so this must not be my first time on RG, but I have no memory of ever actually getting the program going (or even making a post before)
howdy Jowston!

welcome (back)!

RG has a Youtube 5 (6 with mq2mule) video guide > HERE < it is for lvl 2 since it uses the launcher stuff and such, but give that a peak

Hey everyone

Hey fellow returner! I totally second the recommendation of checking out Sic's videos. Awesome stuff for moving around and just setting up and using MQ2 VV. As far as combat goes, I HIGHLY recommend RGmercs to get your feet wet. RGmercs is an awesome, free (with a level 2 RG thing that I see you already have), macro that runs every class out of the box, all you have to do is set your ingame roles for MA/MT/Puller, target your MA and do /rgstart. It'll take some practice and work to get better and better at it, but it's a great place to start so you can focus more on setting up your group control macros and stuff without having to worry about a ton of settings and customization stuff for now. Later, KA is what I used the first time I used MQ2 and it is AWESOME, it's super customizable, but with that, comes a lot of complexity. What I saw of MQ2Mule looks like a nice inbetween spot between RGMercs and KA, and the CWTN plugins seem like they're pretty much really well configured KA's that work out of the box and that Sic and CWTN update.

Either way, welcome back! These guys have been awesome helping me get back into EQ and MQ2, I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

Edit: Oh! Forgot to mention another pluggin I HIGHLY recommend :P MQ2Boxr, makes it so you can make your macros once and it works even if you switch which combat macro/plugin you're using. I had to update mine when I swapped from RGMercs to CWTN, wouldn't have had to if I had used Boxr from the start.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Thought I'd check in here with an update about my EQ and MQ2 experience so far

Once I was able to get to the level 2 access here on Redguides I started flying. Within about an hour or so after getting access I had a full 5 man group up and running (I had been playing a bit of EQ Solo, so I was trying to catch up my group to my 41 SK at the time). Within about 12 hours I had gotten the group caught up and started rocking a full 6 man party.

I'm not quite sure about my comp - SK, SHM, CLR, BRD, WIZ, Zerker

I already had the SK leveled a bit and I definitely wanted to mess around with a SHM and a BRD, but I'm not quite sure how much I like this group. I actually started up another 5 man group to play with my girlfriend last night, I might end up swapping some of those characters around and find out the comp I enjoy the most.

I started with RGMercs as was recommended here, but quickly realized that I was going to need some customization so I switched over to MuleAssist/KA and haven't looked back.

I'm up to level 52 now with the group and I've entered Chardok for the first time ever in my EQ experience (I'm also pretty inexperienced with EQ as you can see)

My biggest hurdle right now is figuring out just how I want to handle Pulling. I was able to get the bard setup and even get it to use Calm while i was in City of Mist, it just did not work very well. Chain pulling was nice and easy to configure and definitely behaved the way I wanted it to, though. It would seem to not target the nearest enemy when selecting what to pull, so it would run through agro to some far away enemy and then pull that, bringing back quite big pulls every time. I'm sure I will figure it out, though. Maybe changing my pull radius to be a bit more specific, or my level ranges a bit tighter maybe. There is also the option of just switching to the SK pulling I suppose.

Anyway, tl;dr -- MQ2 and EQ are very fun.

The second 5 man group I started --

WAR DRU ENC RNG ROG with the girlfriend playing on a MNK

I don't really expect this group to be very amazing as is,(probably lacking in heals, especially if we ever get bad pulls/cant get mez out?) but I'm hoping that this combined with what I already have leveled to 50+ will give me some good options going forward.

I've been hearing a lot about just throwing Zerkers at your problems, but I'm just not sure how I feel about having multiples of the same class just yet.

Toast - New to Redguides (Or so I thought . . .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back