• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - New self sufficient group (1 Viewer)

nezstor

RedCents
746¢
Hello!
I think a have all different characters at at least 100 and above.
I think I will start a whole new group and this time I wont powerlevel and I wont use the bazzar.
Any suggestions for the group layout?
I wont be able to twink the chars, so some of the classes would be nice if they can perform well with below average gear.
I will play on test, so all accounts are gold.
Maby a mage for both coth and good dps with low gear?
Bard is allways nice.

Havent decided yet, but might ignore all of the defiant drops aswell.
Would be fun with a challenge and do all or some of the epics along the way.
I usually play melee focus groups, but wouldnt mind a mix of both.

If you're starting from the ground up, you're going to need a CLR and a good tank. PAL or SK (I prefer SK) works great. Eventually, you can swap the CLR for a SHM if you want to, but in the early game, a CLR is almost a requirement, especially if your group is under-geared. CC is important, of course - I'd choose ENCH for mana regen and possible charm pets if you wanna go that route - then the other 3 can be w/e DPS you want. If you like DPS, BER and ROG are hard to beat. Maybe throw in a MAG for CotH and pet off-tank + dps. Really, as long as you have the holy trinity - tank, heals, cc - the rest is just flavor.

Hello!
I think I will start a whole new group and this time I wont powerlevel and I wont use the bazzar.
I wont be able to twink the chars, so some of the classes would be nice if they can perform well with below average gear.
Bard is allways nice.

Was theory-crafting this myself the other night... I came up with this.

Paladin, Shadow Knight, Cleric, Druid, Necromancer, Enchanter...

Explanation: (The highlights)
The redundant tanks and healers mean maximum survivability. Paladin has lay on hands, and Lull-pulling. Sk is great for FD pulling, and Harm Touch. Druid brings tracking, off-healing, snaring, Damage Shields, etc... AND available Transports/Evacs. Necromancer is for consistent DPS with low resists. While the Enchanter wraps it all in a bow, as debuff/slow, CC, and Mana regen, which will be better than a Bard due to lack of equipment.

Just my opinion though...

“I can kill anything, it just takes 8 days.”
Low risk, slow burn, low downtime... Besides the lack of raw DPS will be made up for with grit and tenacity! 🤓

The more I considered the question of low gear, self found only play, the only reasonable alternative with even greater survivability was:

Paladin, Cleric, Cleric, Cleric, Druid, Enchanter... 😛

The idea would be, focus as much on Undead content, with occasional excursions for specific gear/quests.

Last edited:
If you can pick between all the classes, I'd go sk tank with a melee group. Sks just rock with 2.0, don't need to have the best gear as long as you got your 2.0. For healer, shamans need a few more lvls to be a good healer, so maybe start with cleric and switch to shaman like the guy above suggested. Maybe at lvl 110+ shaman should be fine, not sure tho. As far as dps, I prefer melee with a bard. Melee groups, with the exception of mage/wiz heavy groups, tend to perform longer and better imo. Tho if you really want a caster, a mage or wiz would work depending on what you're looking for and both can do great dps. As for which specific melee classes, I'd say rogue, zerker, bard of course, and maybe a bst or mage or wiz... up to you. With a group like I suggested, you should be able to handle anything. Hope that helped, gl.

Let's see, if I were going to start over from scratch and no assistance, I'd probably do a mix of solid old school classes just to cover all my bases. I'm going to assume this pet project will last a while and you'll be lower levels for a bit so I'll try to keep group synergies/fulminations out of my thinking. I'd say:
  • Tank of your choice, but we all know SK is best. I was surprised recently to see how easy the tutorial was to a warrior though so :shrug:
  • Cleric for heals
  • Ranger (I'm biased) for SoW, and ok dps/backup tank
  • Wiz for big booms and ports
  • Enc for mez, mana, and decent puller iirc
  • Monk or Rog depending on tank choice and if you need a puller
You could combine the ranger and wiz into a druid I suppose and free up another slot, but I don't feel like druids really come into their own until much later and I tried to not think about the later game. I don't play on TLP, but our local TLPers are probably going to be your best source of info here since it sounds like you kind of want that low level old school experience.

Holy Trinity. Starting over from scratch, my thoughts would be:

Tank - SHD, PAL, then WAR in that order.
Heals - SHM, CLR, then Merc heals, then DRU in that order. I dislike DRU...not sure why, only ever played one back in early 2000s as a PL class.
CC - BRD, then ENC. BRD gives so much utility.
DPS - This is where it gets interesting. You could go melee-focused, caster-focused, mixed, etc. Honestly, there is no wrong answer here. But, since you mentioned the test server, I would personally drop the Wiz in your thought process for any CWTN-released class plugin. The automation is really that good. Set it, forget it. While I never condone AFK leveling, if you set it up right you could, in theory, go on vacation and come back 2 weeks later (barring patches/reports/etc) and it would still be there running smoothly. That is the true value of CWTN plugins.

However, with what I mentioned above, one of those DPS slots should include a BST in my humble opinion. SHM healing is not quite up to par until 100+, and you might struggle a little bit if you are not overpowering the content with the best gear possible. Sure...there is buff overlap at lower levels, but you could have SHM focus on healing, BST slowing, off-heals, etc. If you also focused on a melee-centered group, the BRD, SHM, BST combo really accentuates the DPS they will provide and of course, less mana regen dependant.

In the current game - ports don't matter. There are so many ways to fast travel or get to where you really want to go. Long gone are the days of the hours waiting at the docks, or on a boat traveling to the other continents. Long gone are the days of dangerous traveling through zones and collecting 1000 mobs to kill any unsuspecting players, or yourself.

Good luck!

Based on the original requirement for "low gear" I'd focus on a caster group with multiple pet tanks.

Mag , Mag , Enc, Nec, Bst , Druid

Getting started might be a bit rough but you'd have a ton of pets and tricks.

Based on the original requirement for "low gear" I'd focus on a caster group with multiple pet tanks.

Mag , Mag , Enc, Nec, Bst , Druid

Getting started might be a bit rough but you'd have a ton of pets and tricks.
i'd go with ez pz cleric over druid here (and bard over chanter > for me < but enchanter is abso-fine), but the rest is pretty solid

tons of pets and those casters - they'll be great with low gear / ftp.

just get the best pet earring on your pet toons you can once you get into "modern" stuff, they're real easy to get the f2p stuff you need, i use eqresource to see what is available and what items to find

Hello!
Bard is allways nice.
War/Bard/Enc/Cleric+ 2 DPS...

Lake Bell Rio GIF by ABC Network

I RUN A BST, SHAMMY,BARD,SK,MAGE . AN LEAVE 1 OPEN FOR A MERC DPS.. I NEVER NEED BUFFS OTHER THEN MY OWN , AND NEVER RUN OUTA MANA CAN RUN NON STOP NP.
I DONT USE A CLERIC CAUZE YA CAN USE A MERC, SHAMMY IS WAY MORE USEFULL THEN CLERIC. CAN ALWAYS POP A MERC CLERIC FOR BUFFS THEN BACK TO DPS.

my 2 coppers for under-geared and still face roll - Pal / clr / bard / mag / mag / bst

knights dont need help with agro and paladin brings back up heals - rez / clr early will out heal (over heal) everything and shaman cant reliably take over until post 100 solo / bard - CC and mana regen and huge utility / mag - so much dmg with such a little investment - get the best dps pet for the range and ignore all the fluff spells early / bst - more mana regen another pet - slows

you can easily swap bard for enc as well - i love both ... charm does bring another level of DPS to the group.

I agree with most that would go Bard over Enchanter, however, I have my bard on strike until CWTN and Sic develop MQ2bard. They have spoiled me with the ease of their plugins and I truly hate having to use kissassist (still a great plugin) in conjunction with the CWTN plugins. If I were running all KA versions I would not have any complaints.

I agree with most that would go Bard over Enchanter, however, I have my bard on strike until CWTN and Sic develop MQ2bard. They have spoiled me with the ease of their plugins and I truly hate having to use kissassist (still a great plugin) in conjunction with the CWTN plugins. If I were running all KA versions I would not have any complaints.
This gave me a smile, my bard is not on strike, but I sure LOVED the alpha test weekend (so to say) that Chat and Sic gave us. It felt so wonderful to see my guy do stuff so well.

Discussion - New self sufficient group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back