• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Necro in a group? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
618¢
There have been about a billion 'best 6 box group' threads, and in all those threads, I have NEVER seen anyone recommend a necromancer. Are necros really that bad in a group (I've never played one personally)? Is there any situation where you might actually want to add one in?

they just take a while to "ramp up" but they are fun and fine. being able to rez is handy, having group manatap is handy also.

they still can do pretty great dmg in group named, even if fights are shorter

They don't quite have the burst DPS that current end game groups (in this community) are putting out. Where most fights outside of named/raids are less than 30sec DoT damage doesn't go along ways. Sure the world will see quite a few more necros running around with the introduction of MQ2Necro tho.

I love necros for solo'ing / molo'ing ... that said, I would echo ramp up and DoT dps just not efficient with mobs dying so fast in group content... but don't be discouraged, you can still always just have 5 stronger to carry your necro in group non-named content... if you desire to play a necro! :)

Just my two [red] cents.

They don't quite have the burst DPS that current end game groups (in this community) are putting out. Where most fights outside of named/raids are less than 30sec DoT damage doesn't go along ways. Sure the world will see quite a few more necros running around with the introduction of MQ2Necro tho.
I wondered if the lack of burst DPS was the reason no one used them ... I stopped using DoTs on my druid in a group for the same reason. I might roll one in a new group just to see. I think they are the only class I've never spent any time playing.

There have been about a billion 'best 6 box group' threads, and in all those threads, I have NEVER seen anyone recommend a necromancer. Are necros really that bad in a group (I've never played one personally)? Is there any situation where you might actually want to add one in?

If you have to ask that question you never play with a real NecroMaster (yes, I meant to spell it that way).

But I need to mention this caveat. With EQ being dumb so much, and with MQ2 script running, those lines are much closer now, than it was in the past.
A NecroMaster in a weak group would keep that group alive and thriving.

The only class that can do all the following and does it well.

1) CC
2 ) Pet Off_tank.
3) Group mana regen.
4 ) Agro-management. (I can keep agro off a healer and do it fast).
5) Rez without blinking. I have over 1400 EE. FYI< those are being earned by SACing my chars, lol.
6) Wipe out multiple mobs at the same time.
7) Control wipes, yes it was once a skill for players to die correctly and Necros to flop in the safe spot.
8) Pulling, splitting.
9) Two Necros in a raid will increase the DPS for the entire raid.
10 ) Best farmers in the game, you want to be in my group.

Depending on the group and level you'll be able to fill in a lot of gaps a group might need. Necros can mez, do DD, mana tap, pet tank, etc. While not perfect in other roles, aside from dot damage, a necro can fill in.

am running NEC x4 / DRU / BRD all at 120 and have to say its a blast and a nice change from the typical setups ... specially with the new plugin !!!

it allows me to easily setup two pets as tanks and two for dps ... than i am using one necro to debuffs (scent/undead slow etc) and dots ... the other 3 necros are full deeps

am running NEC x4 / DRU / BRD all at 120 and have to say its a blast and a nice change from the typical setups ... specially with the new plugin !!!

it allows me to easily setup two pets as tanks and two for dps ... than i am using one necro to debuffs (scent/undead slow etc) and dots ... the other 3 necros are full deeps

What's a good NECx3 group with a traditional tank? SK/CLR/BRD/NECx3?

My second Group is Mag/shm/brd/nec/nec/nec.
I have all real pets on taunt for aggro pingpong, brd does pulling, cc if needed, dps-booster for caster and their pets plus his own dots, shaman throws mainly all kind of groupheal at hand.

Any content, apart from those nasty names with antipet-mechanic, is easy to take down with that team.
Mage set as mt, leading char is brd.
If you want a real tank, swap mage for him. In that case, I would prefer SK, as I know him best out of the tanks. I would lead the group with the sk, as he's one of the best pullers as well for my feelings.
I would grow a mage on one of the accounts, to have always petgear available.

Last edited:
At the end of the day play the classes you enjoy. When you get to the end game (max AA, gear, etc.) you will be able to handle anything the game throws at you so unless you are concerned with measuring your DPS output with others it won't be an issue.

Also all it takes is the next xpac to throw some love to another class (or a patch nerf/buff) for the "best" to not be the best.

Necros have a ton of utility, are really fun to play, and won't stop you from achieving any goal you set for your group. Can't go wrong imo.

I’m also working on 4 necros atm for a support dps group on raids. I’m still leveling ( currently about lvl 105 ) and i have to admit it’s been really fun. Now if I can find a way to make them stack wounds for the fulminaton dps on raids I’ll be a happy camper. The mass swarms are hilarious regardless.

Question - Necro in a group?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back