• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
MQ2AdvPath

Plugin - MQ2AdvPath (1 Viewer)

Hi! I'm a long time EQ player and long time MQ2 enjoyer.
I played a whole lot on a EQ emu server using a not so modern MQ2 and the e3.mac macro.
With some of my friends, we started playing on the real realms. With that out of the way, I wanted to import one of the command that I used a lot with my friend's character over this version of mq but i'm running into syntax issue.
The idea is simple, I want to have a safe word that I only share with my friends that allow them to control my character.

I used to have one that was based around mq2event, it would go something like this:

If I ask you gently, will you obey?:
[bitchplz]
trigger=#*# tells you, 'bitchplz #1#
command=/noparse /if (1) /${Command}

I am however unsure what's the new syntax for the command aspect?

My previous code looked like this:

old code:
#event DoIT "#*#tells you#*#BitchPLZ #1#'"
sub Event_DOIT(line,Command)
/if (1) /${Command}
/return

Anyone has thoughts?

The idea distilled to its simplest expression would be, when my friend tell my toon <bitchplz say hi>, my toon would in turn say hi.

i think a better approach would be to run a Lua that can then do the commands - you could even "safe" it with using the members in your autoaccept, or by having a hard coded list of users - or the "secret code" like you mentioned.

mq2events isn't as robust as a Lua script could be

That's a cool suggestion Sic. Totally understandable if that's not possible with the mq2events in the realm of more modern mq!
I started reading about Lua and all, but as of today, I don't think I have it in me - right this minute - to learn this 'new' coding language (not entirely impossible though).
Recognizing the limitations of mq2events and it's lack of 'robustness', I was hoping with my post that one of the coding-guru out here would know from the top of their head the proper way of writing $command to make this happen.

I'm loving /afollow command. It works really well especially when changing z-axis. The only issue is that it's super obvious that my characters are not following normally because they stay way too close. It's about half the distance of normal follow.

Is there any way to adjust the following distance? or is there a different follow command/technique I should consider using instead?

Another thing that makes it look pretty obvious is that the characters don't continually face me. Normal follow has the follower face fast towards the character that's being followed. Is there any way to get that functionality using /afollow?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much /afollow is ever used anymore due to pathing. Chase is the best option and the plugins, KA, and RG mercs all have it and the distance is customizable.

Thanks for the input! I'll try /chase out to start as I know that's loaded and ready. I'll check into RG Mercs if that doesn't do what I'm looking for.
afollow (and like followme) can still have uses.

every now and again i'll find myself in a situation i want my dudes to yeet off a ledge - and mq2nav would want them to go another way --- and rather than go edit my mesh to have a offmesh connection so they yeet over - I'll just tap on my followme button --- same for oldschool bridge that drop down - there is often a mesh break there, and tapping on followme can help get you across.

outside of those niche cases i do recommend using some form of chasing where available - there are even free standing scripts that will do the chasing outside of full automations - just check out in the Lua section.

I'm loving /afollow command. It works really well especially when changing z-axis. The only issue is that it's super obvious that my characters are not following normally because they stay way too close. It's about half the distance of normal follow.

Is there any way to adjust the following distance? or is there a different follow command/technique I should consider using instead?

Another thing that makes it look pretty obvious is that the characters don't continually face me. Normal follow has the follower face fast towards the character that's being followed. Is there any way to get that functionality using /afollow?
Here is a link to the stand alone chase Lua

https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/chase.2392/

Thanks for the info and links. I did find that page and read over it. I'm using /chase on with KissAssist (v12.002). It'll be fine in instances when I'm alone. But, I'm looking for something I can use anywhere without drawing attention.

Is there a way to set Chase up so that it functions more like the standard follow command? Basically, I want the in-game /follow command but with MQ2AdvPath so that boxes don't get stuck on ledges, or run circles, or any of the other crap that comes along with normal follow.

Thanks for the info and links. I did find that page and read over it. I'm using /chase on with KissAssist (v12.002). It'll be fine in instances when I'm alone. But, I'm looking for something I can use anywhere without drawing attention.

Is there a way to set Chase up so that it functions more like the standard follow command? Basically, I want the in-game /follow command but with MQ2AdvPath so that boxes don't get stuck on ledges, or run circles, or any of the other crap that comes along with normal follow.
You are asking for two things that are the complete opposite function. Chase and /afollow are what they are because they are not in-game /follow.

You cannot use these functions without looking suspect as lag causes /follow to fail and display other abnormalities viewable by other players that don't look the same when MQ does it's thing. So, what you are asking for is impossible (not looking suspect).

Hi! I'm a long time EQ player and long time MQ2 enjoyer.
I played a whole lot on a EQ emu server using a not so modern MQ2 and the e3.mac macro.
With some of my friends, we started playing on the real realms. With that out of the way, I wanted to import one of the command that I used a lot with my friend's character over this version of mq but i'm running into syntax issue.
The idea is simple, I want to have a safe word that I only share with my friends that allow them to control my character.

I used to have one that was based around mq2event, it would go something like this:

If I ask you gently, will you obey?:
[bitchplz]
trigger=#*# tells you, 'bitchplz #1#
command=/noparse /if (1) /${Command}

I am however unsure what's the new syntax for the command aspect?

My previous code looked like this:

old code:
#event DoIT "#*#tells you#*#BitchPLZ #1#'"
sub Event_DOIT(line,Command)
/if (1) /${Command}
/return

Anyone has thoughts?

The idea distilled to its simplest expression would be, when my friend tell my toon <bitchplz say hi>, my toon would in turn say hi.
Why was my post about mq2events was moved in a mq2advpath thread? This is odd.

Let's say I have the performance and technique to use legacy built-in eq /follow, and prefer it's behavior (including quirks and limitations) over the nav/afollow combo that seems to be in VV. Is there a way to completely disable mq2advpath, only controlling movement with old school autofollow, but still take advantage of KA/CWTN to automate assisting, combat, spells and so on? I'm very proficient at eq auto follow, but wi th mq2nav and mq2advpath, my characters seem to dart back and forth erratically, or not immediately follow me. This is both a concern for raids as I want to dodge ae's instantly, and also in open world when I don't want to be obviously using mq2 advanced pathing.

I did see the /afollow intercept toggle command in this thread. It seems to kind of do what I want, but I'm not sure if it's getting disabled when I run KA and follow seems to break randomly. If I want this to be persistent, does someone know the exact mq2advpath ini file location, and do I have to create a block for each and every character inside of it? I saw this asked in the thread but nobody answered it.

Is there anyway to add stop navigation break behavior to /afollow? The performance is lightyears ahead of the ingame /fol, but it's unintuitive to not be able to take control of a character without hitting a macro 1st to turn it off. Thanks!

Is there anyway to add stop navigation break behavior to /afollow? The performance is lightyears ahead of the ingame /fol, but it's unintuitive to not be able to take control of a character without hitting a macro 1st to turn it off. Thanks!

I replied to you already, but you didn't respond back, so /shrug i guess.

if you turn off intercepting /follow - then /follow uses the ingame follow mechanic, which will break when you move.

mq2advpath doesn't have that (as far as i know and can see in the code)

the larger question is why you're using follow/afollow in the first place - many/most automations have a "chase" functionality built-in which actually uses mq2nav and is going to be leaps and bounds ahead of afollow.

there are only a couple of instances i use afollow - and i just use the "follow me" butt in mq2groupinfo to toggle that on/off as needed

I replied to you already, but you didn't respond back, so /shrug i guess.

if you turn off intercepting /follow - then /follow uses the ingame follow mechanic, which will break when you move.

mq2advpath doesn't have that (as far as i know and can see in the code)

the larger question is why you're using follow/afollow in the first place - many/most automations have a "chase" functionality built-in which actually uses mq2nav and is going to be leaps and bounds ahead of afollow.

there are only a couple of instances i use afollow - and i just use the "follow me" butt in mq2groupinfo to toggle that on/off as needed
Sorry, got scolded by Do Not Reply for posting in the wrong forum once, and since you said this plugin was the culprit figured I'd better post here.

As to why /afol and not something better, total MQ newb. Was using /fol, which intercepted to /afol, since that's what my macros already were, and would function with or without MQ loaded.
I've messed with /chase a little bit, but it seems to do the same thing. Even with Stop Navigation set as Break Behavior, it will not break upon manual movement of the character. At the moment I have only installed MQ on 1 PC for a help with automation, so no follow me button.

Sorry, got scolded by Do Not Reply for posting in the wrong forum once, and since you said this plugin was the culprit figured I'd better post here.

As to why /afol and not something better, total MQ newb. Was using /fol, which intercepted to /afol, since that's what my macros already were, and would function with or without MQ loaded.
I've messed with /chase a little bit, but it seems to do the same thing. Even with Stop Navigation set as Break Behavior, it will not break upon manual movement of the character. At the moment I have only installed MQ on 1 PC for a help with automation, so no follow me button.
"stop navigation" is for mq2nav, while mq2nav's navigation is active. it isn't for follow, affolow, manual movement, or anything else that isn't mq2nav navigating, as an "mq newb" that might be slightly confusing, but to understand "nav/navigation" is mq2nav's "verb" for when it is doing your movement

Plugin - MQ2AdvPath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back