• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There was a hotfixtoday. DO NOT PATCH EQ or you'll have to wait for the next MQ update (no ETA). You can play without the patch by using patchme or autologin (preferred). If you've already patched EQ you're out of luck, unless you find someone to share the older eqgame.exe (don't ask here).

Question - MQ Newb, tired of manually boxing after two days already (1 Viewer)

jkitchen12

RedCents
20¢
Hey everyone, never ran MQ2 before, traditionally just manually boxed a whole group, makes the game unenjoyable for me now that Im at home with kids as well. looking for any tips to keep it as simple as possible. Just came back from a 5 year hiatus and jumped to a EMU server, so i wont be doing any big targets anytime soon. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Hey everyone, never ran MQ2 before, traditionally just manually boxed a whole group, makes the game unenjoyable for me now that Im at home with kids as well. looking for any tips to keep it as simple as possible. Just came back from a 5 year hiatus and jumped to a EMU server, so i wont be doing any big targets anytime soon. Any pointers would be much appreciated!
@jkitchen12

Howdy and welcome!
Here are some handy resources to get you started:

Getting Setup Videos by Redbot

My Video on using some EQBC, MQ2Nav, and Kiss /Camphere features:

My Video on the RedGuide's launcher

Here is a guide on finding an Ini from our resource library:

Our Discord channel is pretty active 24/7, definitely stop by with questions and discussion

@jkitchen12

Howdy and welcome!
Here are some handy resources to get you started:

Getting Setup Videos by Redbot

My Video on using some EQBC, MQ2Nav, and Kiss /Camphere features:

My Video on the RedGuide's launcher

Here is a guide on finding an Ini from our resource library:

Our Discord channel is pretty active 24/7, definitely stop by with questions and discussion

Just watched a few videos including your basic MQ2, wow let me say that was informative beyond what i was imagining. Clearly I have tons of studying to do, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to make it.

If you tell us what specific classes you play, we can give you more specific advice. IHC and Chatwiththisname's various plugins are both strong and easy. I currently use MQ2Eskay for my SK, IHC for my bard, cleric, wiz, mage, and some other toons. I use KissAssist for my chanter and necro when I play them. Each has their quirks and I recommend trying them all out over time.

That's not to mention EQBC and other plugins where you can have your toons follow you on command, start burns, etc. I've gotten my toons to the point where they all log on, autojoin a group, and follow the lead of whatever toon I'm maining at the moment (SK, Necro, Chanter mostly).

Welcome @jkitchen12 I was doing the same thing and when I made the switch to KA it was amazing. Check out all the ini files in the resource section it's a great starting point and should allow you to get going right away. I would go through the links that @Sic posted above and once you get VV and KA setup, go to a lower level zone to test things out. This community is great and is always here to help.

Yea I am in the same boat. I just recently came back. I activated one account and got frustrated with LFG so I logged in on wife's old account, still silver, and started getting stuff done. Then logged into my 3rd account and am getting more stuff done, but it is getting burdensome. Just yesterday I stumbled upon this Redbot guys videos and was like "wow I need that" and and working towards getting that setup.

Yea I am in the same boat. I just recently came back. I activated one account and got frustrated with LFG so I logged in on wife's old account, still silver, and started getting stuff done. Then logged into my 3rd account and am getting more stuff done, but it is getting burdensome. Just yesterday I stumbled upon this Redbot guys videos and was like "wow I need that" and and working towards getting that setup.
I just got to the point where I’m dangerous with mq2. best advice I can give you us start small and get the feel for it, don’t jump right into a HA and try for the first time you will just frustrate yourself. It seems like a lot at first, but it really does get simple as you learn, and these guys are great with help. I can say from experience I was timid posting questions because of the crap you get from other forums, but here they will answer, help, and enjoy doing it.

hello and welcome aboard.......... the videos are a great way to dip your toe in to the pool and discord always has a bunch of great people willing to help. as stated before this community is the best in the mmo world, can't ask for a better bunch of helpful folks!!!!!

Check the rules on the emu server because some of them only allow limited MQ2, some don't allow it at all, although that is uncommon I think. Or you can make your own server and then do anything you want :) I used to love manually boxing but 3 or 4 is about my limit and beyond that it just becomes too inefficient. Also there are way too many buffs in this game, especially at lower levels. Casting a bunch of buffs on my cleric, then enc, then shammy, etc.. it was too much. With MQ2 once you setup your characters they just play by themselves like a real person. It is amazing.

MQ2 is like the engine, and then you need a plugin to drive it all. There are some like Marnan said above which you can just run and they do everything for you. They don't need much setting up, maybe no setting up at all. Then there are ones like Kiss and Muleassist which you need to setup stuff yourself to make the character do what you want. This is all done in the .ini files for each character, and you can download other peoples ini files to help get started. In time you can figure out how these are made and then you can tweak the files yourself to do exactly what you want. For me tweaking the files become just as much fun as playing the game itself. Each tweak took the character closer to being as good as a real player.

Question - MQ Newb, tired of manually boxing after two days already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back