• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

MQ days numbered? (1 Viewer)

gamerguy76

RedCents
Cheating in EQ, especially with regards to Macroquest, was brought up, and there was talk about plans to do something about it. Grumbuk stated they had a good handle on cheating and how to detect it but they are waiting til they have as close to a 100% solution as they can because they don't want to ban people who aren't cheating inadvertantly. They pay close attention to current cheats and exploits and try to do everything they can to stop them, and this will continue. People also pressed for some statistics to be made public about suspensions and bannings.

From players summit at SOE. See http://www.graffe.com/

So what does this mean for us?

Apparently they are looking for stuff that inserts info into the command stream.... all those warp plugins, mq2csumm, etc.... that stuff is traceable if they chose too. So just watch out, be smart and lay off that stuff if at all possible.

From what I garnered from the summit:

* Grumbuk has been at work evolving the anti-cheat system for EQ, targetting things such as warp hacking and other various MQ issues. It's being fine tuned to be sure no innocent players are able to be labelled as cheaters.
* Cheating statistics were meant to be in the last newsletter, and should be in the next. Of note, over 400people have been caught in each of the last 2 months thanks largely to the anti-cheat code being tested.

/agreed.

They are just pacifying the GP. Giving them what they want to hear.
If your duping shit, etc yeah...your gonna get banned.

If your macroing etc, afk or otherwise...provided your doing it smartly and not in open zones etc, your fine.

They will never stop that.

They are not banning people anymore guys. All this anti-cheat shit is bunk too. They shouldn't care either IMHO. Let people play the way they want to play the game, provided it doesn't interfere with others.

If they ban every MQ user in EQ , they remove 1/3 of their player base.

Its fine to do that with such new games as WoW where your player base is constantly rising but games like EQ are old now and rarely get new players. If they lost that amount of players by banning them they'd only be screwing themselves out of more money.

Cant see that happening. Only uber haxxors , using ghost , constantly warping to kill raid mobs etc would be targeted largely.

I cant see them banning someone for having mq2map or the other legit (lol?) MQ functions that MacroQuest.com are not against i.e mq2moveutils etc

isn't it possible to detect what packet they are using to detect this then have mq2 send a false packet back saying everything is ok? i mean you can buy radar detectors that send back false speeds can't you do kinda the same thing here?

Course I agree with the above too they've been saying this for the past 5 years. Only stupid people get caught.

90% of the time a GM is online they are not anon. And being a guide for EQ myself I know guides have limited zones as well. Guides are not allowed to enter any Planar zones (hate, fear, time, valor, anything with the word plane in it), any high end raiding zones, or any specific keyed zones (Vex Thal, Sleeper's Tomb, etc) These zones you are safe in unless GMs happen to be scouting the zones (which is rare but does happen). Also Guides are not allowed to enter any instanced zones other than the tutorial, with certain exceptions (I.E. character stuck under the terrain). Only way you'll really get banned for hacking is if you're stupid enough to warp in front of players and in public zones or going afk with macros in public zones. Macros like Foraging, Fishing, and tradeskills are 99% undetectable regardless unless you decide to make your character respond to hails.
As for nerfing of MQ all together, not gonna happen. Every game exe file is going to have some type of offsets, the difficulty of drawing them out varies with the content stored within the file.

I think SOE knows where their bread is buttered.

They are making the majority of their money off of people like us. If they ban us all...they're going to have to ban our bots and seller accounts.

They will loose ALL their monthly income that way.

Casual players don't have multiple accounts, bot, etc.

Spunge16 said:
If they ban every MQ user in EQ , they remove 1/3 of their player base.

Its fine to do that with such new games as WoW where your player base is constantly rising but games like EQ are old now and rarely get new players. If they lost that amount of players by banning them they'd only be screwing themselves out of more money.

Exactly. They are a business. Banning a large portion of the gamebase is bad business. They are just banning people who are reported and confirmed - because that makes it look like they are cracking down. If we don't interfere with others in any way, they will not stop taking our money.

This is opinion, but it's based on solid logic.

none of this will affect my gameplay at all. at this point in my eq career, i'm burnt out if i don't have mq2. the only real joy is seeing what i can do with my toys.

i seriously doubt this will affect 99% of mq2 users. if i get banned, so be it ... i guess they don't want my money anymore. sony knows roughly how many people cheat, and thus they will not make sweeping bans to get rid of mq2 for good. best guesses put well over half (more than 1/3) using some sort of 3rd party software (albeit mq2, showeq, or otherwise). they would be sinking their money making venture.

i understand their predicament. people are cheating blatantly, openly, or in a manner such that others' gameplay is hurt (griefing and pvp cheating in places like zek) and need to be gotten rid of to satisfy the eq community. these guys will get removed while 90% or more mq2 users are left alone. sony knows we cheat. sony probably knows about at least some of us. sony probably won't do anything, though, unless formal complaints are lodged and we're being a nuissance and pissing people off.

ironically sony probably knows i cheat. sony might even know you cheat too. eq's existence is balanced on the edge of a knife, though, so as long as you don't f*ck up and bring attention to yourself you'll be fine.

mq2 is undetectable if you use it for basic mapping purposes, but you kid yourself if you think warping doesnt leave a noticable trail. in the end it's all about how you use the program. sony isn't gonna fuck itself out of extra money by banning nice cheaters, but they will fuck you (and fuck you hard) if you interrupt legit gamers' gameplay. play nice and you'll be fine. don't draw attention to yourself and they'll turn and look the other way.

to keep people happy, though, a witch must be burned every now and then.

Solution: Why not just create another server and then transfer all the MQ2'ers and let us live in our own land and live happily ever after. Problem Solved.

Happy Hacking...

KeithClancy said:
they will fuck you (and fuck you hard) if you interrupt legit gamers' gameplay. play nice and you'll be fine. don't draw attention to yourself and they'll turn and look the other way.
to keep people happy, though, a witch must be burned every now and then.

Aye very true. I imagine my cousin will get banned soon (he's a tard when it comes to using MQ2 wisely)

Here's my 2 cents. I don't have any proof of any of this, it's just my conclusions based on all the various comments that have been made.

When Sony talks about cracking down on MQ2, what they are talking about is Warp. They first introduced the packet to report back to the server the delta when you jump from point A to point B. We got around that by blocking the packet return.

The new "Anti-hack" detection they may be working on, I'm guessing is server profiling. Instead of depending on the client to return this delta packet, they are going to monitor the deltas from the server. To prevent false positives from CoH, Rezzes, Succors, and in-zone gates there will be a threshold. For example, if your account shows 15 warps over a week they'll give you the benefit of a doubt. However, when you start logging 10,000 warps a week, out comes the ban stick. I have no idea what the threshold might be but from a customer service point of view, that's how I would handle it.

I've converted all my macros to use Advpath instead of Warp just in case and I only use Warp sparingly when I really need to. I still AFK XP 24x7 on 6 accounts until I max out my AAs :) It's the level of risk I'm willing to take.

i just got done speaking with my friend who is a gm. He says that the in zone warp is fine to do or baisically it is nothin but the mq2piggyzone will get you in trouble and caught relatively fast while leaving spooks. He is a gm on stormhammer but he is a guildy on a the server i play.

when you zone into a zone like pov it logs in the time and date you zone in and it logs when you zone out. So basically you can warp anywhere within the zone as many times you want because you are not leaving the zone and your path logs dont account for the number of in zone movements.

(verbatim)

Last edited:
MQ days numbered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back