• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tip - Modern Lag and the use of StickFigures=1 (1 Viewer)

RedCents
785¢
Modern Lag 2023... the bane of my existence in game.
Back in June I learned about "How to revert to the old UI" thanks to @Knightly.

Further research I found a few posts reminding me where to change many bipedal PC & NPC looks to wireframe stick figures!
  1. Locate and Open \\Everquest\eqclient.ini
  2. Under [Defaults], Locate line StickFigures=[0 or 1]
    1. If this line does not exist, create it.
  3. Change value as desired:
    1. Bool Turn Stick Figures OFF -- StickFigures=0
    2. Bool Turn Stick Figures ON -- StickFigures=1
Further research led me down a path of looking into setting up multiple eqclients for purposes of having my Tanks having StickFigures off but all my other PCs having StickFigures on. A lot of pain and pointless double sets of installs and potential issues laid bare... just no.

Dead tired from yesterday and still up I had an Eureka moment! I have eqclient.ini loaded up in my Notepad++ all the time anyway:
  1. Ensure eqclient.ini, StickFigures=0
  2. MQ2AutoLogin my Tank(s)
    1. Wait until at least Character Select loads
  3. Change eqclient.ini, StickFigures=1
  4. MQ2AutoLogin the rest of my PCs
NOTE: The change you make on the fly like this must be saved to eqclient.ini before you reach Character Select in game for it to take effect. ((For those who like to silently correct grammar, I realize it may not be effect but affect, and yes it bugs me but I don't care to look up the rule on it just now. Too damn tired)).

Maybe someday there will be more of an automated way to set this per character, but for now this is what I have as a gimp solution to share.

Hope this might help others out there!

Regards,
~TheFiddler~

Modern Lag 2023... the bane of my existence in game.
Back in June I learned about "How to revert to the old UI" thanks to @Knightly.

Further research I found a few posts reminding me where to change many bipedal PC & NPC looks to wireframe stick figures!
  1. Locate and Open \\Everquest\eqclient.ini
  2. Under [Defaults], Locate line StickFigures=[0 or 1]
    1. If this line does not exist, create it.
  3. Change value as desired:
    1. Bool Turn Stick Figures OFF -- StickFigures=0
    2. Bool Turn Stick Figures ON -- StickFigures=1
Further research led me down a path of looking into setting up multiple eqclients for purposes of having my Tanks having StickFigures off but all my other PCs having StickFigures on. A lot of pain and pointless double sets of installs and potential issues laid bare... just no.

Dead tired from yesterday and still up I had an Eureka moment! I have eqclient.ini loaded up in my Notepad++ all the time anyway:
  1. Ensure eqclient.ini, StickFigures=0
  2. MQ2AutoLogin my Tank(s)
    1. Wait until at least Character Select loads
  3. Change eqclient.ini, StickFigures=1
  4. MQ2AutoLogin the rest of my PCs
NOTE: The change you make on the fly like this must be saved to eqclient.ini before you reach Character Select in game for it to take effect. ((For those who like to silently correct grammar, I realize it may not be effect but affect, and yes it bugs me but I don't care to look up the rule on it just now. Too damn tired)).

Maybe someday there will be more of an automated way to set this per character, but for now this is what I have as a gimp solution to share.

Hope this might help others out there!

Regards,
~TheFiddler~
dennethor has a symlink guide

this allows you to use stickfigures on some toons and not on others.

I don't find stickfigures having much impact these days due to the awesomeness of framelimiter

Even with FrameLimiter in use on all my toons and it being tuned Way Down on all including my Tank(s), I still have a lot of issues with my video card getting all spun up for seemingly no reason with the new UI Changes, even after using the Old UI and low FrameLimiter settings. My computer is something I built back in Jan, 2010 with parts I spec'd and bought in 2009. Maxed out RAM to 24GB back then too. Since upgraded to SSDs from the dual 10k Raptors I started out with, along with a few other nice upgrades =)

I simply need a newer computer some day. Until then I have what I have.

@Sic, Thanks for the link! I will check that out within the next 48 or so when I'm not so dead tired... turning in for the night.

there are also command lines for the EQClient.ini that allow you to run WireFrameMode as well as turn off textures, so that everything is gray. both can decrease load time lag, as well as real time lag.

I hide players also, and it was ALREADY hard to target the right toon to give them stuff, when 5 toons and pets are all huddled up. My very first macro effort was this giveto.mac, parts of which I stole copied from the work of others. Target the receiving toon (via /targ toonname), put item on cursor, type or hotkey /mac giveto.

This is a very simple macro and there are numerous ways that it WON'T work, for instance, intended recipient is 1000 feet away, or casting, or already trading, or in a tradeskill container, etc and so forth.

Attachments

• GiveTo.mac
    488 bytes · Views: 0
I hide players also, and it was ALREADY hard to target the right toon to give them stuff, when 5 toons and pets are all huddled up. My very first macro effort was this giveto.mac, parts of which I stole copied from the work of others. Target the receiving toon (via /targ toonname), put item on cursor, type or hotkey /mac giveto.

This is a very simple macro and there are numerous ways that it WON'T work, for instance, intended recipient is 1000 feet away, or casting, or already trading, or in a tradeskill container, etc and so forth.

1. have item on cursor
  2. /tar xxx
  3. /uset
  4. profit

Pro-Tip - you can /tar playername then when it appears in your target window click the item on the 2nd-3rd letter of the name on the target window. and trade window will open .

:golfclap:

p.s. - works well when targeting from raid window standing in a pile too

Tip - Modern Lag and the use of StickFigures=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back