• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Memory usage keeps increasing. Possible memory leak? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
70¢
Hi Everyone. Been having some weird memory issues with EQ lately. I'm currently 4-boxing and the memory for each client keeps increasing. My Rogue's client increases at about 3 timers faster than the other clients (I have no idea why).

The rate seems to be about 1 MB per minute and 3 MB per minute for the rogue. Here's some data I wrote down:

5:12pm Client1 382 MB, Client2 767 MB
5:49pm Client1 407 MB, Client2 869 MB
6:05pm Client1 416 MB, Client2 905 MB
6:43pm Client1 454 MB, Client2 1025 MB

I have 16 GB memory total so this shouldn't be a huge deal. The problem is even when I get to around 50% memory usage Windows 10 starts to act weird. The windows will start flickering. Chrome will give low memory warnings and eventually hang/crash. This makes me think there's a memory leak that's not showing up in Task Manager.

I've read most of the performance guides. I have all my settings at low or off.

Here's a list of active plugins:
plugins.jpg

If anyone has any advice or possible solutions I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

you seem to have a buncha plugins loaded that i dont think you might be using, so i am gonna make some assumptions here and give you a list of things i would unload.

Unload these plugins if you dot not use them, if you dont know if you are using them, you are not.

mq2cpuload
mq2bardswap
mq2cast
mq2labels
mq2hud
mq2custombinds
mq2bzsrch

I am assuming you might be running kissassist, based on some of the plugins that it uses are loaded, so we gonna leave those alone

as for mq2autoloot, you should not use this, you should convert to using lootly Lua instead, its much more stable and wont create any issues for you like autoloot does.

then i would suggest running framelimiter you can see more about it in this little post by sic, has video and everything

Then lastly i would go through this settings guide by fanra and adjust to fit as needed, even if you have 16gb memory, eq can be a memory hog, if you dont do your settings correct.

Simply zoning will cause increased memory usage that will slowly fall off over time. Repetitive zoning in short amounts of time will increase memory usage faster. The longer a client is in a single zone, the lower the memory usage will be. I've had characters with memory usage of anywhere from 220mb to 1500 mb. Stop zoning and eventually falls down to really low values.

Not sure if this pertains to your situation, but something to keep in mind.

I have had that same weird thing happening for some time and while it was a bother it was not a big bother if you know what I mean.

My screen would flicker the objects or other players sometimes after loading in the first or fifth or second or what ever character. I was getting rid of the the flicker by logging that character out and then back in.

Then I discovered if I do control alt delete and brought up task manager my CPU would be at 99% or real high. As I watch it drops to 4% without any characters running and down to about 30% with multiple accounts logged into the game

Close out task manager without doing anything and all runs fine. No more flicker.

Am offering this as a suggestion. Try doing ctrl alt delete and see if your CPU use drops and stops the flicker.

Also clean out your recycle bin the hard way ...not just clicking on it and selecting "empty"

you seem to have a buncha plugins loaded that i dont think you might be using, so i am gonna make some assumptions here and give you a list of things i would unload.

Unload these plugins if you dot not use them, if you dont know if you are using them, you are not.

mq2cpuload
mq2bardswap
mq2cast
mq2labels
mq2hud
mq2custombinds
mq2bzsrch
After you unload these, do you need to unload them again each time? Is there a way to save it from needing to keep unloading them? I only ask cause I am in the same boat and only use KA Vanilla.

I have the same issue and it has always been a problem.

Not a computer genius by means of the imagination, but it seems to happen to me when I download and play other games. It is like a curse to boxing EQ when you do this. I do try to remove and disable all registry values and anything that could possibly slow my computer down but does not help perfectly.

Best bet is to have a computer just for EQ and browsing only. This is what I have done

I'm currently using the Ghost Spectra ultra lite version of Win11. Which is a bare bare bare bones Win11 distro. I don't use it on my main PC but on the other computers that are a bit lite in resources, it works great when you don't want all the bloat windows installs.
https://tech-latest.com/ghost-spectre-windows-11/

Just a PSA, make sure you know what you are downloading, do your research as any distro could contain harmful crap. I've never had an issue with the above but you never know.

Ok so I ran /log off and disabled every plugin except bare bones KissAssist required (down to 14 total). Still having exact same issues 3MB per min on rogue, 1MB per min on the other 3 clients.

One thing I did notice is when Rogue finally got to over 2GB, it magically reset down to 1GB. It would obviously be much better if it could just stay under 1GB at all times but at least it's not crashing.

Also the Chrome low memory error, pretty sure this is because I set paging file to custom size. I set it back to auto and will see if that fixes it.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions.

Honestly this sounds normal. What do you have the memory model set to in game settings?

And running out of system memory means 16GB is not enough and your page file isn’t picking up the slack

That's basically all from dbg.txt
It's 22 thousand lines of text. After the initial load it's almost all:

[Sat Nov 05 18:34:14 2022]03929:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:31 2022]03930:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:31 2022]03929:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:31 2022]03935:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:31 2022]03931:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:33 2022]02317:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:34 2022]03936:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:34 2022]03930:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:34 2022]03931:knockout 3

No idea what this means, I tried to google everquest "knockout 3" but only result was this thread:

That's basically all from dbg.txt
It's 22 thousand lines of text. After the initial load it's almost all:

[Sat Nov 05 18:34:14 2022]03929:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:31 2022]03930:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:31 2022]03929:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:31 2022]03935:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:31 2022]03931:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:33 2022]02317:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:34 2022]03936:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:34 2022]03930:knockout 3
[Sat Nov 05 18:34:34 2022]03931:knockout 3

No idea what this means, I tried to google everquest "knockout 3" but only result was this thread:

PRO tip. delete all the stuff from dbg.txt and then save it.

Then after you save it right click on it and select properties and make the file read-only.

Question - Memory usage keeps increasing. Possible memory leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back