• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Mankind is selfish - Discuss! (1 Viewer)

BlackObsidian

RedCents
If there's one thing I know about mankind it's that generally the only reason things happen is because we want them to! We are all selfish in one way or other.

Why do we form bonds with other people? It's normally because WE WANT that person in our life.
Why do we work really hard at our jobs? Because WE WANT to earn money for our family, hobbies, social life etc.
Why do we worship nature/God/tv stars? Because WE WANT to show our reverence for someone/thing we believe is better than ourselves in some format.
Why do we give to charity? Because WE WANT to give to those less fortunate and feel better for trying to help them.
Why do many religious people do a lot of things? Because THEY WANT the lord to smile upon them... To show their love for him... To do his bidding/will/want... (that's really not meant to bait religious people by the way, it's just the way it's perceived by me, which could well be incorrect!)
Why do people change their behaviour to suit a potential partner? WE WANT to be with that person and if the cost is a few changes, that's fine...

Couple the selfish gene with the need to "fit in" and to group into tribes/groups/civilisations/clubs which everybody inherently has and it's quite a powerful subconscious power...

WE WANT to inherently feel part of a particular group, whether it be a sports group, community, club or religious group and we want to feel "part of something"

All this stems from the subconscious "safety in numbers" WAY back when we began roaming the planet. We grouped for food, for warmth, for shelter, to procreate and this has been passed down over generations and generations so that even now it's "natural" to want to join clubs, groups, tribes etc
We also know that in order to join these groups we need to exert similar behaviour and have similar views on things or we won't be allowed.

Again, WE WANT.

I feel safe with redguides :).

Of course mankind is selfish, most of us would probably kill all of our friends and family save ourself.

alucard said:
Of course mankind is selfish, most of us would probably kill all of our friends and family save ourself.

I gotta say your wrong. I would risk my life for my friends/family at any given moment.

One Life < The World

There is currently a gun pointing at your head. The person holding it says to you, "press this button and a rocket will be fired at a small village in Iraq where we believe suspected terrorists are hiding... You will kill X amount of people in that village. Do it or we will kill you!"

At what point does X no longer become viable? 2? 5? 10? 20? 50?

blackobsidian said:
Mankind is selfish-Discuss!

I agree.

Heck, I would even die for familly/friends/etc. just so that I wouldn't have to live in this life anymore, but also for love. But even the gesture of love is selfish. I love them because they "love" me or make me happy in some way.

Is there a such thing as man's selfless love? Or is even the "joy" that we get from it selfish?

blackobsidian said:
There is currently a gun pointing at your head. The person holding it says to you, "press this button and a rocket will be fired at a small village in Iraq where we believe suspected terrorists are hiding... You will kill X amount of people in that village. Do it or we will kill you!"

At what point does X no longer become viable? 2? 5? 10? 20? 50?

I believe in the first quote you said most of us would kill friends and family for our own life which is not true, you have now changed the entire concept sorry I have no friends or family in Iraq and since they are our national enemies you better be damn sure I would shoot that rocket.

Alucard said that, not me.

Oh and because your (and my) government SAY that they're enemies that justifies the killing of them? Shame on you...

I think when push comes to shove, most people (not all) be willing to do whatever they need to do for their personal survival. Some people would sacrafise themselves for the greater good, but I think that they're the minority.

This thread needs to be merged with the Religion thread! Basic human selfishness is often modified by religious feelings.

The whole point of the Muslim suicide bombers is that they are convinced that there is a glorious afterlife awaiting them if they sacrifice themselves now. I am almost certain that they don't want to die, but have been brainwashed into thinking that Allah will welcome into a far better life than what they currently enjoy.

Christians too, convinced of an afterlife, do not hold onto mortality so tightly. They also would willingly sacrifice themselves for a percieved greater good.

Yes, we humans have a strong self preservation instinct, but that can be, and sometimes is overridden in dire circumstances. I honor the memory of Roger Ward, who, without hesitation, threw himself around a Viet Cong hand grenade lobbed into his squad's position. His "suicide" saved many of his mates from death or serious injury. What motivated him? Selfishness? I doubt it.

There are always exceptions to a general rule but as you proved with the Roger Ward scenario, religion is not always the motivation for selfishness, thus the threads shouldn't be merged in my opinion. :)

Mankind is selfish - Discuss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back