• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Idea - Macro/lua for Buffing (1 Viewer)

Psy

I run with scissors,break crayons,and eat paste
RedCents
17,176¢
Don't let the subject confuse you as I know we have multiple buff assist tools here but they appear to be mostly guild hall related or turning a toon into a buff vendor while afk. I thought I would reach out here because of all the talent in this community. I know many of us have multiple toons so I figured there must be a solution out there from someone or maybe it's been tried before and there are limitations I am not aware of. I'm wondering if there is a macro or Lua (probably best as a Lua) that would help in handling group buffs. To elaborate, I have a total of 10 toons and whether I am in the guildhall or prepping for a raid, I wanted an easy way to make my toons do mass buffs so I set out on a mission last night to make hotkeys. I ended up spending a couple of hours in EQ making hotkeys from my main toon to send /dex commands to my enc/dru/mag/bst/shm/clr to basically use /keypress # to perform a programmed hotbutton(s) that would make them buff what I wanted. From my limited knowledge of programming, EQ only allows 2 commands per hotbutton line, so a /pause XX, /dex shaman /action.

As you can imagine, if a toon like a shm has 3 buffs you want to mass cast with Tranquil Blessings, MGB, in GH or in a raid, this can lead to multiple hotkeys in EQ due to it's limitations. Is it possible/feasible to make a macro/Lua where the driver could send a command to one or more toons to mem a spellset, then cast TB, then a buff, then MGB, then another buff, then wait for TB cooldown, then cast a buff again without making multiple hotkeys on that buffing toon?

I'm sure I may be overcomplicating things as I tend to do that, but I also set out on a mission to start learning Lua because I want to understand how to create things like this and I realize it will take time to get beyond looking at someone else's Lua (like Shei, Aten Lua's, etc) and editing them to work for my needs/wants compared with understanding and writing something on my own from scratch. I'm using some of those posts on this site to start down that path.

Curious to know others thoughts on making this mass buff idea a reality =) Thanks!

EDIT - Would love to learn how to make something like this (if it's possible) but I also realize the complexity may be a bit much for this project to be an example.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm not crazy. I searched as well but could not find anything.

Let me tell you, those hotkeys last night were silly. 2 alone for the shm and then a timed on the main to make it cast all 3 buffs. Seems silly, so either there is a better way yet to be made or there is more for me to learn about EQ hotbutton commands.

There was something, but for the life of me, cannot find it atm. It was mostly for raids if I remember correctly.

There is this: https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mgb-lua.2674/

At least a step in the right direction?

Thanks! I did not find that one and there is very little on what it does in the description, so I'd have to run it and see what happens I suppose. The only issue is the limitation noted below

Its a raid tool and requires all the raid to be on Dannet - so cant do it in lobby unless you have your raid full of buffers sitting in guild lobby

yeah sorry - my original one does need to be in a raid - cos it uses the raid to build the structure of how many of each class you have. ie if u have 3 sham they can all do a buff. Nerp's version is probably more robust but i think it is also raid only.
I should have probably done it originally using the Dannet channels to build the buff structure..
It shouldnt be too hard to change really - but i dont get time to do anything lately and have 3 projects on that i can never finish.

yeah sorry - my original one does need to be in a raid - cos it uses the raid to build the structure of how many of each class you have. ie if u have 3 sham they can all do a buff. Nerp's version is probably more robust but i think it is also raid only.
I should have probably done it originally using the Dannet channels to build the buff structure..
It shouldnt be too hard to change really - but i dont get time to do anything lately and have 3 projects on that i can never finish.

Definitely no sorry needed here as I'm sure it works great and serves the purpose well.

I just posted this because I thought I had maybe found a void that may be able to be filled if more people had a use for something like this. I wish I had the skill to build it or to know if it's even really worth building. Something to aspire to.

Definitely no sorry needed here as I'm sure it works great and serves the purpose well.

I just posted this because I thought I had maybe found a void that may be able to be filled if more people had a use for something like this. I wish I had the skill to build it or to know if it's even really worth building. Something to aspire to.
You can take the existing and modify it from using raid to populate, and just pull from dannet peers? I have not looked at the code, or used it so...just throwing an idea out there. Or maybe pull from a list of players within range? Or setup a buffing toon list? Pop the Lua, hit go, runs through buffing?

Was just thinking this same thing. I am still in the process of learning and improving my setup and now have this issue. I love to do drive by buffs, or just any time im buffing up i hit the tranquil or MGB just to catch anyone that maybe nearby.

great feature request to be able to kick off all toons top buffs at low or high levels. hitting the noobs while passing through CR is always fun. full team buffs turn um into little raging slaughter monsters that just dont die =)

You can take the existing and modify it from using raid to populate, and just pull from dannet peers? I have not looked at the code, or used it so...just throwing an idea out there. Or maybe pull from a list of players within range? Or setup a buffing toon list? Pop the Lua, hit go, runs through buffing?
I plan to take a look, but I'm still convinced my knowledge is to basic to make it work LOL

Idea - Macro/lua for Buffing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back