• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - M2 Mac anyone? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
126¢
Hi gang,

Looking for some advice, please.

I'm currently running EQ (12 box) using bootcamp on an intel 27" iMac that's about 6 years old. It's time to think about upgrading and was hoping to get some feedback from anyone with any experience multi boxing on the newer M2 Mac mini's using Parallels.

I think it's doable, but before I take the plunge I'd like a better understanding to determine which version of the M2 mini I need.

Alternatively, I'm not opposed to adding a PC to the setup purely for EQ if needed - in which case, any thoughts on what spec machine I need to (max) 18 box @ 1440p on a 27" display?

Thanks in advance :)

any cheaper current machine with 32gb memory and couple year olds gpu would do for 18boxing., the memory is the most important here, some people buy those mini intel ( i think) pc's and run a couple groups on them you can buy them with out ram for cheap and just add the ram you need yourself

i think @william12 has the infos on those tiny pcs

I run EQ and MQ on my M1 Mac using crossover there are a few hiccups. If you want the details, I would check out the related thread Here.
cliff notes version.

EQ will run fine through Parrells on the ARM version of Windows. However, I advise extreme caution in doing this as running EQ through a VM can and will get you suspended/banned. Yes, MQ violates the TOS as well but in my opinion running EQ in a VM is more likely to get you suspended/banned than using MQ.

MQ will not run on the ARM version of windows through Parrells it will throw a dx9 dll error.

There is currently a bug in Ventura that causes the launchpad for EQ to be blank current fix is to use the --disable-gpu option to launch EQ. This is fixed in Ventura 13.3 beta.
Run MQ using the /noappcompat switch when making your MQ launcher shortcut in Crossover.

Issue 1:
Redguides launcher won't work in in crossover since EQ went 64 bit. My best guess is the .NET functionality that the launcher uses does not work correctly in a 64 bit bottle.
Workaround:
I use Parrells and installed the ARM version of windows and run the Redguides launcher and have my MQ directory in the Crossover bottle discoverable in Parrells and have the launcher install MQ to there.

Issue 2:
MQ2Dannet will crash your EQ instance. Note: some Lua scripts require Dannet such as switcher and boxhud.
Workaround:
Use EQBCS

Issue 3:
The built in functionality of MQ to update Lua libraries via luarocks.exe does not work because the version of luarocks.exe used does not work in crossover.
Workaround:
Copy the Module library on a PC into the MQ directory on the Crossover bottle using a flashdrive..

Issue 4:
You cannot import profiles from a PC it will error out.
Workaround:
you have to input your profiles manually.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Super helpful Cybris!

Really appreciate you taking the time to provide such comprehensive feedback.

Looks like I'll be getting a windows PC to run EQ - not sure my delicate brain can deal with those hurdles.

Cheers!

@Cybris I am attempting to follow you but im running into issues.

I am running an EQEMU in Parallels. I have a bottle in Crossover running MQ and it kicks off.. however The Crossover MQ does not detect the EQ actions in Paralles. What am I missing.

Running Eqemu in parallels and then running MQ in crossover won’t work MQ will not see that instance of EQ running in fact you can’t run MQ in one bottle and EQ in another bottle the processes will not see each other.

MQ and EQ both have to run in the same bottle for them to work or same session.

Question - M2 Mac anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back