• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Looking for momentary screen freeze reason... (1 Viewer)

surfdog21

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
1,004¢
Ive got a pc that when I am playing eq will screen freeze for 2-4 seconds about once a minute as of recently. Ive got a couple of other pcs all hooked to the same router with no problems. Ive replace the cable to modem, ive changed ports on the modem, eliminating the internet connect. Internet speed is super fast here. Any ideas? This is a pro built comp and it just started happening about 2 weeks ago. Whats odd is the sound doesnt freeze, leading me to believe one of the 2 vid cards might be having an issue or....? any ideas? Drivers are all up to date.

As I was going through things I noticed my processor info looks like this:
1606408297147.png

Had the same problem for the longest time. Memory usage was the culprit, but heavy cpu usage also plays a part.

I would check those two first, then if everything looks good, it might be a plugin

Pretty sure its hardware related. I haven't tested it with MQ2 not loaded. I'll probably take it in to the shop and have them figure it out. It's not happening on the other pc's so it leads me to believe it is hardware.

number 1 always check your resolutions and refresh rates. i've read lots of weird problems with eq result from simple resolution and vsync issues.

questions.
why is your computer showing two video cards? that could be confusing EQ.
how much ram do you have?
how many characters are you trying to run?
what do your core temps look like? i use hwinfo to check temps
how stable is your power supply? i live in an area with frequent power issues and burned through several power supplies before i was smart and got a battery backup with a power regulator.
how many cores does that i7 have? EQ is ooooold it may help to manually set the affinity for different boxes
are you using SSD or hard drive?
is your page file on the same drive as EQ and or your operating system?

just a few thoughts off the top of my head. it's really tough to help without more specific info.

good luck

I struggled with this.

Do a ping test and see if you are getting wild ping swings.

I was having this on 1 computer. It was a windows 10 update that was causing my wireless card to scan for a faster link and doing this exact same thing.

If it is this, I found a fix after weeks of messing with it.

I've had this issue as well with Dual 1080 Ti's and I've had this same issue, I've narrowed it down to a few things, try either turning off logs or do something like /logint 6 which sets log interval to 6 seconds instead of the default which is 1, and also limit foreground FPS for EQ to your monitors refresh rate, which for me is 144, And for my boxes I limit background FPS to 61. I've seen this happen more often when I peg the GPU usage, which for some reason even with MQ2EQWire is still possible. I suspect this has something to do with my resolution being 3840x1080 but who knows. For me, I'm sure it's not a temperature issue or a RAM issue. My CPU maxes out at 63c under load and my GPUs are often no higher than 54-57 with everything loaded, and I've got extra temp sensors to verify these temps. I'll look in on this thread later, but feel free to PM me.
Edit: After reading the posts above I figured I should add some things.
I personally run 7 EQ accounts from a 960 Evo Pro NVMe which is also my system drive, but I run one of my primary alts from an 850 Evo SATA SSD which has almost nothing else active on it.
I'm running 1700x Ryzen non-OCed so 3.4ghz per core 8 core 16 Thread.
My Processor affinity is currently set to give each full access to all cores, but I've tried splitting cores between each of my 8 instances of EQ, which still didn't make it better if anything it made it worse.
As stated above, I run 8 accounts.
I have a Seasonic Power Supply which is rated for 1500w roughly double my pull from the wall wattage during normal usage.
I'm getting clean power from the Solar Power Battery, which as of yet we have not drained completely during a given day.
I am also running a pretty decent quality surge protector from APC.
My Swap file is on the same SSD as 7 of my 8 accounts.
I have not checked Ping, that is a good idea.
Side note, I've run various Diagnostics on my system, as well as reinstalling windows and swapping out almost every piece of hardware the problem still persists even though I have found nothing that indicated that anything major is wrong. I do however have a weird issue where I blue screen every time restart or shut down my computer after I run the game and MQ2 together. I am not sure if that has any bearing on this.
Also, I do not have this freezing issue with any other game, and I don't get the BSOD after playing any other game if EQ/MQ2 hasn't been loaded.

Last edited:
Yes, the momentary freeze happens without MQ2 running as well as with it loaded. The odd part is the sounds continue through the freeze in real time so I believe its definately something vid related. What confuses me is that this PC ran eq fine for about 5 months or so and then one day it just started happening. I guess I need to open up the chassis and make sure nothing is loose and blow it out first. I only run my main group of 6 on the pc as it was the best of the 3.

Discussion - Looking for momentary screen freeze reason...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back