• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Logitech MX518 vs. 610 (1 Viewer)

Cade

The Rainman, (Administrator)
RedCents
1,031¢
I'm looking for someone who's tried at least one of these. I need a new mouse, and I'm torn between the MX518 and MX610. Any input on the situation?

I say get a cheap mouse...its a fricken mouse! you don't need to waste 50bucks or however expensive it is. Get a $20 mouse IMO, it can have the little extra buttons 'n stuff. Just my 2copper

I usually go for the economic route, but after having my lovely MX510 for so long I'm so used to having all the extra buttons and things, and I usually use every one of them.

I don't know much about them, however hopefully this can help.

--Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse
We fired up several games to check out performance, including Unreal Tournament 2004, Novalogic's Joint Operations, and Microsoft's Rise of Nations. Switching to a lower DPI proved to be quite useful when zoomed in with the sniper rifle in either of the first person games. Rise of Nations seemed to benefit less, although it was useful to "downshift" a bit when we had to zoom in close to micromanage a battle. Unreal Tournament's sniper rifle has a highly variable zoom. The effect of shifting the DPI was greater when zoomed in to the max.

Users with short, stubby fingers will have to reach a bit harder to press the (+) button.
Frequent shifting in a game could tire the forefinger.

The MX518 ships with three built-in DPI toggles. Defaults to 1600DPI. Pressing the (-) button once downshifts to 800DPI; pressing a second time gets you to 400DPI. The cool thing about this is that you do not need to have the driver software installed.

Logitech has built very slick (literally) feet on the bottom surface of the mouse, to enable smoother glide as you're moving the mouse around. While this allows for faster mouse movement, it also makes mouse movement easier.

--Logitech MX610 Gaming Mouse
Comfortable; precise; excellent tilt wheel; volume controls; long battery life; long range.

New design looks more stylish and professional than the bean design, and is just as comfortable to use. Picking up the mouse is without fault, never slipping and for the most part balanced with a little more weight in the rear thanks to two AA batteries. The only real difference between the two form factors is that the MX610 doesn't have the centimeter of space for the ring finger. With only the edge to rest upon, we found my ring finger unable to decide if it wants to sit on the right mouse button or join my pinky finger on the side.
Recap
In the end we were left with a mouse that fell short of expectations. Cheap, comfortable and precise, the MX610 has the markings of a great mouse. The innovation of two way communication allows for excellent battery life - after nearly a month of testing, the two AA's are still "good". However, the lack of compatibility with AIM and Thunderbird hinder the MX610's usability as a pager, and depending on your setup you may encounter unsightly wireless interference. If possible, try before you buy.

IMO, Cade, buy the MX518-- It by far surpases the MX610

I sit here right now with my Logitech G5 Gaming Mice, I think it's briliant not many buttons but it have 2000 DPI

pineappel said:
I sit here right now with my Logitech G5 Gaming Mice, I think it's briliant not many buttons but it have 2000 DPI

I'm not particularly concerned about DPI. I'd opt for the 1600 DPI of the 518 and more buttons.

darkeros said:

G7's wireless isn't it? If I was going for a wireless, I would get the 610.

Good thread for me to ask, though a bit off topic. I'm in the market for a keyboard. Anyone used the Logitech G15? I have heard of WoW players being banned for its macro functionality.

nyghteyes said:
Good thread for me to ask, though a bit off topic. I'm in the market for a keyboard. Anyone used the Logitech G15? I have heard of WoW players being banned for its macro functionality.

My G15 is great, a little costly for a keyboard but well worth it if you have the money. I wouldn't know anything about WoW players getting banned, but it's macro functionality is excellent.

Cade said:
My G15 is great, a little costly for a keyboard but well worth it if you have the money. I wouldn't know anything about WoW players getting banned, but it's macro functionality is excellent.

Shit they might find how I farm gold sometimes! :(

I got G7 which is a good mouse enve though its wireless. And the G15 = chinese farmer bot :D

Logitech > All

*caresses his G15 Keyboard, G5 mouse (I don't like wireless!), Premium USB Headset 350 and legacy speakers*

I don't like headsets, but yeah, Logitech all the way for mice/keyboards. There's almost nothing better, and DEFINITELY nothing better for the price.

Logitech MX518 vs. 610

Users who are viewing this thread

Back