• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Lag/Stutter with brand new PC & DXVK tentative (1 Viewer)

Momozeel

RedCents
30¢
Hi guys, I really need your expertise.

I bought a brand new computer recently, totally overkill for EQ that's obvious (5600X/AMD RX6800xt/32Go Ram etc.). It is mostly running super smoothly even with 6 characters logged in simultaneously, with generally a good 60/120FPS with all max graphics on in most of the situations including heavy raids.
Nevertheless, in some specific graphical context (heading West from Qeynos Stone in POK or Heading South from PoK Main's Bank, Heading West at Gunthak zone in, etc.), I get huge FPS drops to like 10FPS which makes the whole gaming experience extremely annoying, and even frustrating. I have tried to play around with pretty much all the options and advanced options (lowering or maxing it) and it does not change anything. The only thing i have been able to figure out is that if i put either Far Clip Plane or Actor Clip Plane below 10%, everything goes perfectly smooth again and above 100 FPS. But of course, I havent bought a new PC to play with 10% Clip plane. It is even more annoying as my older 2013 PC with i4670k/GTX970 yes has a lowering of DPS in same positions, but it only drops to like 25 fps to it is much much less noticeable.

A couple of additional informations :
- This happens both with a PEQ or Lazarus folder in a crowded (400 toons in Lazarus) or empty PoK (4toons on PEQ). Even happens on my private EQEMU server with no one else than me in the server, although the DPS drop is a bit less in empty PoKs.
- This happens both with or without MQ2 on
- This happens both with or without +5 bots instances
- I have set CPU affinity properly to use all cores on all instances (either via MQ2 or Windows Task Manager)
- I have Windows Power Consumption set to Max Performances
- My GPU and Windows drivers are up to date

Here a video of what happens :

I kept on searching and finally discovered that installing DXVK version (https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v1.9/dxvk-1.9.tar.gz) of the d3d9.dll in my EQ folder was completely solving my lag/stuttering issues in PoK. The game was running very smoothly at 60+fps everywhere. But then, after zoning a couple of times, it started crashing everytime i would run back into the laggy spots of POK. I'm now pretty certain the lags with new AMD GPU is clearly related to DX9 files lack of optimization, but I need to find how to make this stable.

Here is an other video :

Here are my crash log files if anyone feels like having a loot at it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/11cZKy39yZaoRtAR5C77T8Fe9dVM0xCev/view?usp=sharing(modifié)

Thanks to anyone that could help me get out of this mess.

one thing to consider, is that some aspects of EQ is terribly optimized.

but one thing you can try and do is turn texturedcached off in your client.

Are you running the RedGuide's Emu version?

you have some plugins i'd suggest unloading, and you also have a bunch of plugins i've never heard of before.

some ones i recommend unloading
MQ2FPS
MQ2CPULoad
MQ2Labels
MQ2netbots (if you don't use it)

Things i've never heard of:
MQ2iniext
mq2maplite
mq2netadvpath
mq2turbo

I'm not sure what DX version you downloaded, but we often recommend getting this one

Directx 9.0c June 2010 Redist
(Windows 10 comes with a stripped-down version)
Directx 9.0c June 2010 Redist

Hi this is the version i downloaded at first (and which is refered to by EQ in system32 folder when i dont put the DXVK version in EQ Folder yes.

one thing to consider, is that some aspects of EQ is terribly optimized.

but one thing you can try and do is turn texturedcached off in your client.

That sounds like a good option as i really think its related to some textures in some zones (I algo lag in Gunthak facing the tower west upon zoning for instance). And texture being reloaded everytime I zone, that could explain the increased crashed shortly after zoning.
Could you please indicate memore specifically where to change this please ? Nevermind i found out in eqclient.ini. Still crashing though.
Also tried UseD3DTextureCompression=FALSE but still crashing.

Are you running the RedGuide's Emu version?

you have some plugins i'd suggest unloading, and you also have a bunch of plugins i've never heard of before.

some ones i recommend unloading
MQ2FPS
MQ2CPULoad
MQ2Labels
MQ2netbots (if you don't use it)

Things i've never heard of:
MQ2iniext
mq2maplite
mq2netadvpath
mq2turbo

I dont think its related to MQ2 plugins. I have had the exact same issues without MQ2 loaded at all.

Last edited:
You want to see a huge difference in performance. This simple step if you haven't already done it. Is to remove all the drag on your memory and video card. Run the launcher and select advanced and shut off all of these in the images. You won't have all of the fancy details, but I always find that I like the speed of the game better. Also, go into your options in game under display and lower all of your particles and opacity.

Another thing, I would avoid making videos with your character name in them showing an MQ window.

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    321 KB · Views: 65
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
You want to see a huge difference in performance. This simple step if you haven't already done it. Is to remove all the drag on your memory and video card. Run the launcher and select advanced and shut off all of these in the images. You won't have all of the fancy details, but I always find that I like the speed of the game better. Also, go into your options in game under display and lower all of your particles and opacity.

Another thing, I would avoid making videos with your character name in them showing an MQ window.

Yeah i do have access to this. Im gonna try now. Thanks.

Thanks a ton. It has alliavated the game in a way the DXVK DLL doesnt crash anymore.
Just turning the settings on doesnt have any impact on fluidity, I still need the DXVK DLL, but with the models off and all options off but "Texture Caching", I'm not crashing anymore. Big thanks !

i always suggest following this guide on fanras website to get your eq in better state than default
Yah, these guides are awesome if you really want to get down to the bare minimum settings. Especially running alts on StickFigures=1

Mq2 is allowed and recommended on emu Project Lazarus. So no worries about anyone seeing his character name. I actually assumed it was him while reading though the post since he’s been battling this all week via discord/in game. Glad you’ve got it figured out.

Would be great if we could get some of these plugins in the redguides build for emu. Not sure if that’s even possible though. Would like to run E3 on an updated Mq compile. @Redbot

Last edited:
Mq2 is allowed and recommended on emu Project Lazarus. So no worries about anyone seeing his character name. I actually assumed it was him while reading though the post since he’s been battling this all week via discord/in game. Glad you’ve got it figured out.

Would be great if we could get some of these plugins in the redguides build for emu. Not sure if that’s even possible though. Would like to run E3 on an updated Mq compile. @Redbot
Yes that would be great i even thought about doing a newer compile myself, my main issue is to find source codes for all the plugins for our THF E3 version, would love to have some additional plugins like MQ2Nav and MQ2DPSadv etc.

Problem - Lag/Stutter with brand new PC & DXVK tentative

Users who are viewing this thread

Back