• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Lag pile buffs... Should they be all that? (1 Viewer)

Kingkiller71

RedCents
1,255¢
One of the main parts of my gameplay is finishing the night at the lagpile and then staying online so I have fully refreshed buffs the next day / time I log on.

I depend on these buffs so much that I usually quit for the night if I've had a bad pull and died losing all my buffs. To me, I'm not competitive enough without them. I play on UK times so the buffs usually get cast whilst I'm asleep and I play when most of the lag pile are asleep, so a quick turnaround on the buffs aren't really an option for me.

I have access to a rng, dru, cle, enc, bst, mag, brd, sk, war.

Questions:

1. How do you guys manage if you lose the lag pile buffs early in a session - do you continue through / move to easier zones or camps etc?
2. With the classes above, are there any "Must have" buffs that I'll be missing out on (I barely have Rk2 on my chars at the moment)?

anytime i get buffs from outside my group, or toss an xp pot, or toss lesson - my liklihood of crashing, or wiping, or internet going out goes up exponentially :p i don't usually bother

Maybe I'm confused but if I understand this correctly, you can get these buffs without having to sit in the pile since you have access to them? If so, you appear to only be missing SHM/PAL and I would venture to say you could function perfectly fine without them.

I used to sit in the pile as well but decided it wasn't worth it and used the buffs my group could offer and did better than I thought. It becomes more apparent what you can handle when you camp a spot for xp/aa's for several hours and most of your buffs fade but you keep on grinding.

Maybe I'm confused but if I understand this correctly, you can get these buffs without having to sit in the pile since you have access to them? If so, you appear to only be missing SHM/PAL and I would venture to say you could function perfectly fine without them.

I used to sit in the pile as well but decided it wasn't worth it and used the buffs my group could offer and did better than I thought. It becomes more apparent what you can handle when you camp a spot for xp/aa's for several hours and most of your buffs fade but you keep on grinding.
Yes, you're correct. I do actually have a 110 shaman as well (my paladin is only 86). So it doesn't look like I'll be that worse off if I go it alone :)

anytime i get buffs from outside my group, or toss an xp pot, or toss lesson - my liklihood of crashing, or wiping, or internet going out goes up exponentially :p i don't usually bother
I'm cursed with that same luck. I once got everything ready with my group, pulled a couple of mobs and all my mercs on passive. That didn't end well...

I've since learned that lesson by working on a six box group.

Yes, you're correct. I do actually have a 110 shaman as well (my paladin is only 86). So it doesn't look like I'll be that worse off if I go it alone :)
Naw, you should be fine. Even if you get one a level or two below the max, it's better than nothing right =)

I would leave the GL out for a bit and enjoy more time playing and not worry about it so much =) Hell, we die in raids, rez up, and fight without buffs a lot because often there is no time to rebuff.

Just my opinion, it may not be popular:

If you cannot survive without your own character's buffs or cleric merc buffs, then you have the wrong group setup.
Most buffs are a crutch.

One of the main parts of my gameplay is finishing the night at the lagpile and then staying online so I have fully refreshed buffs the next day / time I log on.

I depend on these buffs so much that I usually quit for the night if I've had a bad pull and died losing all my buffs. To me, I'm not competitive enough without them. I play on UK times so the buffs usually get cast whilst I'm asleep and I play when most of the lag pile are asleep, so a quick turnaround on the buffs aren't really an option for me.

Questions:

1. How do you guys manage if you lose the lag pile buffs early in a session - do you continue through / move to easier zones or camps etc?
2. With the classes above, are there any "Must have" buffs that I'll be missing out on (I barely have Rk2 on my chars at the moment)?
I personally only use my group buffs and don't bother with outa group buffs as they normally cause me issues with over casting a buff that don't stack .. and i have no issues in any zone or mission.. kill just fine self buffed from my own group

I tend to look at my hit points as I know roughly what they're at with all the buffs. I looks for the haste and also the damage shields.

I suspect I should have most if not all of it covered with the characters I have. They're just split across the same 3 or 4 accounts so can't cast them across all characters.

I guess I'll try and see how I get on with minimal buffs. If I'm good, then it's one less reliance on somebody else.

I tend to look at my hit points as I know roughly what they're at with all the buffs. I looks for the haste and also the damage shields.

I suspect I should have most if not all of it covered with the characters I have. They're just split across the same 3 or 4 accounts so can't cast them across all characters.

I guess I'll try and see how I get on with minimal buffs. If I'm good, then it's one less reliance on somebody else.
Do you use tribute at all?

I never have lag pile buffs. I have 2 groups, one is SK, Bard, shm, rog, zerk, bst and the other is SK, shm, Bard, mage, mage, necro. I never have any other outside buffs that I don't have from my grouped classes and have never had any issue doing things.

While i agree with some about "needing" buff's, my teams are max/max/NoS raid geared.. so buffs are a joke.. however, when your up and coming they do help (even though im annoyed to no end from people begging in lobby). though as Sic and others pointed out, you get out of group buffs, just to die on next pull :(

There are very few things as certain to happen as A dying after you just get full buffed with buffs you cant easily get again. Or B a named popping that you can't or will significant difficulty killing when killing mobs at the edge of the ability for XP kills. And C both of the above when popping an EXP potion/lesson/during bonus time.
Its similar to the named that won't pop when you need it but will repop all the time when you no longer do. The drop that wont drop when you need it but as soon as you get it becomes the common drop that drops all the time. Etc

You want a HP buff and a Mana buff. Most people cover that in their own groups. As long as you have those you're fine.

Just my opinion, it may not be popular:

If you cannot survive without your own character's buffs or cleric merc buffs, then you have the wrong group setup.
Most buffs are a crutch.
while leveling up, they make it so much faster though. That mage ds and shaman regen...is godmode at level 78. You really do wonder if you're wasting your time without it, after you grind for 2 hours with them.

No, I do sell my older gear for it, but never really saw it as a thing anymore. Is it still worthwhile doing?
Tribute is pretty good for anyone that casts DoTs, or non-instant casted detrimental spells.

The Detrimental spell haste tribute is 33%, while the best raid focus is 23% (if the duration of the detriment is over 30s, and the base cast time is at or above 3s)
The DoT mana pres tribute is 23%, while the best raid focus is 22%.

Buffs are way overrated in the modern game. This isn't 2003 where buffs accounted for 75% of the stats on your character sheet. Take what you have in your personal group and just go with it. You'll be able to kill level appropriate content just fine assuming that you're not horribly behind on gear for the mobs you're trying to kill. Unless you're trying to powerlevel low level character with buffs well above their level, I'd say forget the lag pile.

I honestly wish they'd eliminate long duration buffs and have only short duration, burn type buffs for each class. There's no reason I need a buff window full of icons with 4 hour duration that I don't even recognize the names of or know what they all do. Roll all those long duration buffs into base character stats and tune the content based on the results.

Question - Lag pile buffs... Should they be all that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back