• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Krono/ Sub (1 Viewer)

I think your limit is 110 anyway being you have no other expansions. Personally, I pay around level 85-90 to get a good base started on the AA.

But I also wait and sub a month when there is a bonus exp coming up. That way I have a full month to earn extra AA while my F2P/Silver cap is lifted.

But I see in your other post that your group is level 56 ish. To me that is far too early. There is a bonus sliding scale during the first 4000 AA you earn if you have never auto granted. So just earn them now and later do the auto grant.

When is it best to get a krono or sub for a month to ensure I get relevant AAs for my FTP accounts?

Or do I just wait until max level (haven't bought any expansions yet)?
If you’re climbing from zero…depending on your group composition, gear, and out of group healing you might need to pop the tank a little earlier…maybe 75ish to get the needed aa’s to survive…then keep autogrants on and grind up reg exp as fast as you can. If you have toons that can pwlvl. Then 115 is the best to get all autogrants

I would grind to 110 and load up on the free to play AA. ( try to go high as possible , even better) Then wait till march where there will be a 50% exp bonus for 2 weeks. Then you pound the AA like crazy

I think your limit is 110 anyway being you have no other expansions. Personally, I pay around level 85-90 to get a good base started on the AA.

But I also wait and sub a month when there is a bonus exp coming up. That way I have a full month to earn extra AA while my F2P/Silver cap is lifted.

But I see in your other post that your group is level 56 ish. To me that is far too early. There is a bonus sliding scale during the first 4000 AA you earn if you have never auto granted. So just earn them now and later do the auto grant.
115 at the moment (CoV)

It depends. If you have to rely on their DPS to kill mobs to level them to 110, then sooner(maybe 90-100). If you do not need the DPS, I hold off until 115-120. It depends on the situation, and group DPS.

I'm 2/3 of the way thru a Krono on 5 guys. I got them to 105 and then a guildmate got me through the 4 ToV missions at which point they were all lvl 111. I popped the Kronos and got them to lvl 115 in about 8 or 9 days. I did this in Great Divide and at some point near 113 to 114 I started using mq2Grind on Restless Assault. It's important to make sure you have the snowbound sets on at least your key players, I got a set for all 6 guys. I'm currently 11 days away from Krono ending. Autogrant now seems to work until lvl 115 and I've grinded out about 4200 to 4500aa's in about 12 days and my guys are maxed out on Class, Archetype and Focus. They're now working on General AA's (using mq2autogrant with sic's setup which is listed at the top of that macro page). I expect I'll be able to get max AAs within the next 11 days of Krono. Having the autogrant sped things up tremendously from 250aa to like 35-40k depending on the class. If you have time to play a decent amount then I'd say you can safely pop it at 110ish however if your time is more restricted it would probably be wiser to wait. People may have a way better strategy or experience than I've had, just wanted to offer my 2 cents and what I'm forecasting is possible in the next 2 weeks. Good luck on the pops and I hope you have a blast with it!

A slight perk of doing akrono early, perhaps 90ish, and then another at max level... You'll have enough db cash to buy the rank 2 spell unlocker :hfive:
But you can only buy that while your account is free!! It won't show up on paid accounts. Its like the monkey's paw post we have going on in these forums.

IF you are going to be playing the chars actively that is one thing but if you are going to getting levels via PL or otherwise there is no sense doing any AA if it will just be autogranted in a week or 3.
Basically why spend effort getting what you will get without effort in a very short time.
That said It is much easier if you are getting lots of power leveling happening it makes sense to get auto grants to 110 /115 whatever you are going to have and then pl the crap out of the rest of the aa first while leveling by level after since the OTHER you can get any time the AA only while subbed.

And 100% agree with subbing when there will be an xp bonus.

Not gone down the route of PL - just levelling up a whole group a few sporadic hours at a time hence lack of decent gear and plat. RL is encroaching again - I need to make a bunch of wooden easter eggs for a craft fair before the 5th March so I'll be playing on the lathe instead of the PC!

I need to ask a stupid question on AA. Do you retain the AA abilities above your limit once your krono/subscription ends? For example. does anyone notice that their passive AA no longer works?

Passive AA? If you mean the AA you get from clicking items? those are "shadow buffs"

Most of those are obtained by clicking an item that grants a passive AA so then you gain that AA (or it ranks up the one you have) usually they are permanent. But if you feel one no longer works then you may have lost it by activating an item-AA that doesn't stack with the one you already have, so the original will be removed.

"knowledge of the past" and "soothing breath" is an example. They will overwrite each other and you can accidentally overwrite a higher rank AA with a lower ranking AA that way. But its not really a thing.

They will leave a little buff icon that starts "shadow of whatever" - those icons can be deleted as they just take up space

Apparently there are still things about this game I am clueless about. Auto-granting AA is obviously one of them. I was under the impression is was something entirely different. Doh!

Would someone please take a moment to explain the concept completely? After reading this thread I realized that I didn't know wtf was going on with this, so I went out to look it up. But I find that there is a lot of conflicting information so I am not quite sure I get it yet.

A couple of points I need clarification on:
-What player does this pertain to? ftp, silver, gold?
-If ftp, does this eat up your limit of 250 AA or ?
-Ya, everything else, lol

I sure find some of the concepts in EQ to be ridiculously complex. ie: exp sharing in Fellowships, Auto Grant AA, there may be more I am unaware of.. I just became aware of both of these this last week or so. And to hell with exp sharing, that's freaking inconceivable! Who comes up with this shit? Anyway, any help here much appreciated, thanks!

Ok, that just blew my mind.. I have a 115 SK that I bought at 100. He had 13085 AA when I turned auto grant on just now, logged back in to 46487. Wow.. still don't get the mechanics of it all, but shazzam!

Gold subscribed accounts can autogrant AAs on their characters. Typically its all AAs except tradeskill + the last 4 expansions worth of AAs. Its meant to be a catch up mechanic for new/returning players. So for LS it should autogrant up to ToV AAs if I'm not mistaken.

It will eat up your 250 limit yes, but SKs up to NoS at like 65k AAs so 250 is really a drop in the pool.

The reason for krono'ing a character even on a FTP acct is to get them max AA'd up to whatever expansion is currently available to them, and when the Krono wears off you retain those AAs but are limited to non prestige gear and augs. This makes FTP casters who arent Hdex dependant very viable FTP boxes.

FTP chars with 250 AAs are pretty bad past lvl 85 to put it bluntly. I'd use mercs over them.

Autogrant is only available to"gold" accounts with a current subscription. Subscription can be either payed with cash or krono.

As said above, autogrant gives free AA for everything except trade skills up to a certain level/ expansion combo. The current level/expac combo is 115/tov.

So if you're level 115, you get a LOT of free ones.

After autogrant, you can accumulate all the AA for your level post 115 until your subscription is no longer active. After sub runs out, character will drop back to "ftp" which can either be bronze or silver. In either case, if have over the (ridiculously small) AA limit, you can not earn anymore until you resubscribe. You will, however, still be able to use the accumulated and spent AA (autogrant +whatever else you earned while subscribed). Edit: unspent AA cannot be spent if you're over the ftp limit and not subscribed

So.. wow. EQ: Things you should know. Lol!
I had just assumed that auto grant was like a path of aa for each character type and that they would be assigned as you gained them. That being the case, I preferred to assign them myself so I never turned it on. I'd feel like an idiot except how is one supposed to know these things? I play alone, I don't talk to anyone in game. And giving out 1000's of AA free just seems incredible and unlikely to me.. /boggle
Thanks for the help you guys..
Cheers!

I had just assumed that auto grant was like a path of aa for each character type and that they would be assigned as you gained them. That being the case, I preferred to assign them myself so I never turned it on. I'd feel like an idiot except how is one supposed to know these things? I play alone, I don't talk to anyone in game. And giving out 1000's of AA free just seems incredible and unlikely to me.. /boggle
Cheers!
Here is another thing to know which blew my mind when I discovered it.

On your free account if you buy a Heroic upgrade then that character will get all the AA up to the level 85 or 100 which ever one you buy. It overrides the AA cap on the free/silver accounts.

You cannot earn more of course unless you subscribe but that sure makes things even easier!

Cheers!
And they have the balls to put out a survey asking if you would recommend this game to a friend?

Whilst I do love this game, there is so much to learn and dig out from the communities that it just isn't really worth anyone starting this game from scratch. They'd bail well before they learned anything substantial from the game.

And they have the balls to put out a survey asking if you would recommend this game to a friend?

Whilst I do love this game, there is so much to learn and dig out from the communities that it just isn't really worth anyone starting this game from scratch. They'd bail well before they learned anything substantial from the game.
I love the game too.. but I can't say that I think DB has done the game any favors. Their greed is evident throughout game play. I mean it's either free to play or it isn't. Be grateful for the people that do pay and stop with all the frakin micro transactions. And the greed screens all throughout play. I don't know how much more tolerance I have for it, really. I do have subscriptions, but I can''t and won't afford 10 subs, so I kinda rotate them as needed, or I buy a krono or 2 now and then. But apparently that's not enough.. and it really peeves me off.. bah, I digress.. sorry :-(

I love the game too.. but I can't say that I think DB has done the game any favors. Their greed is evident throughout game play. I mean it's either free to play or it isn't. Be grateful for the people that do pay and stop with all the frakin micro transactions. And the greed screens all throughout play. I don't know how much more tolerance I have for it, really. I do have subscriptions, but I can''t and won't afford 10 subs, so I kinda rotate them as needed, or I buy a krono or 2 now and then. But apparently that's not enough.. and it really peeves me off.. bah, I digress.. sorry :-(
I am of the same opinion. I have 6 accounts now - 3 subscribed and 3 FTP. I will not pay for all 6 to be subscribed and will plan to switch to subscribing my 3 FTP accounts when they hit 115 and grind on them for their month before I go back to my 'mains'.

Gold subscribed accounts can autogrant AAs on their characters. Typically its all AAs except tradeskill + the last 4 expansions worth of AAs. Its meant to be a catch up mechanic for new/returning players. So for LS it should autogrant up to ToV AAs if I'm not mistaken.

It will eat up your 250 limit yes, but SKs up to NoS at like 65k AAs so 250 is really a drop in the pool.

The reason for krono'ing a character even on a FTP acct is to get them max AA'd up to whatever expansion is currently available to them, and when the Krono wears off you retain those AAs but are limited to non prestige gear and augs. This makes FTP casters who arent Hdex dependant very viable FTP boxes.

FTP chars with 250 AAs are pretty bad past lvl 85 to put it bluntly. I'd use mercs over them.
Thank you so much for this information! May I ask what is Hdex dependant? and what ftp casters are viable ftp boxes? is it like a mage for example?

Thank you so much for this information! May I ask what is Hdex dependant? and what ftp casters are viable ftp boxes? is it like a mage for example?
Heroic dexterity stat, primarily classes that utilize melee/archery and group tanks will want to focus on this stat to maximize their crit chance/dps/accuracy. So this encompasses rogue/monk/zerk/ranger/bst/sk/pal/war. Typically the only way to reach a high enough Hdex to see the greatest benefit from it with using prestige gear and prestige type5/7 augments which FTP chars won't have access to.

Casters and healers however can get away with not melee'ing during combat so they arent dependant on Hdex and could focus on something like stamina/int/wis. So you're primary worry with them would be available focus effects to get the most out of them at a FTP level and those focus effects are typically available to a lesser extent on the FTP gear each expac offers. While not as good as raid focus, its something. Mages/Wizzies/Necros are all viable boxes for FTP and can do respectable damage without prestige gear.

Pulled up an old parse during a 6 hr GD grind. My 3 115 magicians (FTP) each average 250k DPS with 8-12 second kills. (CWTN plugins)
My 115 SK with prestige CoV raid gear augs and 2 hander average 400k DPS with Hdex focus, (kissassist)
115 rogue FTP with TBM Hdex augs averaged 180k (no assassinate) (kissassist)
115 zerker FTP same gear caliber as rogue 150k (kissassist) pre dicho nerf, but had the largest swings in dps range per kill.

Cleric healer and Bard in group so no shammy Adps during this. Obviously ini quality and what automation youd run would make a difference too. I'll concede that a CWTN rogue/zerker might perform better than what I posted.

Question - Krono/ Sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back