• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - KissAssist VS RGMercs (1 Viewer)

RedCents
8,190¢
While I have been more than satisfied with RGMercs for my adventures, I have been reading here and there about KissAssist. Since I see more info on this than RGMercs (IMHO anyway). So, I was hoping I could find information on the comparison between the two and what the pros and cons are of each? I like RGMercs because literally I don't really have to do anything as I level. It auto selects the spells and abilities and runs routines all without me having to configure much. Whereas KA seems like you have to customize your loadout for each level. While that's cool, it seems like a LOT of work especially in the earlier levels when leveling goes by quickly. Even though it seems I can just DL other peoples INI files to simplify things up front. Does anyone here have experience with both to the point where I can get a comparision between the two? Or maybe share some links?

Thanks guys! :D

While I have been more than satisfied with RGMercs for my adventures, I have been reading here and there about KissAssist. Since I see more info on this than RGMercs (IMHO anyway). So, I was hoping I could find information on the comparison between the two and what the pros and cons are of each? I like RGMercs because literally I don't really have to do anything as I level. It auto selects the spells and abilities and runs routines all without me having to configure much. Whereas KA seems like you have to customize your loadout for each level. While that's cool, it seems like a LOT of work especially in the earlier levels when leveling goes by quickly. Even though it seems I can just DL other peoples INI files to simplify things up front. Does anyone here have experience with both to the point where I can get a comparision between the two? Or maybe share some links?

Thanks guys! :D

i like you first started with RGMercs because it was an out of the box plug and play option. RGMercs does allow for some customization but you need to do a bit of research to see what the settings are and how to change the values. KissAssist provides for a bit more of customization with a readily accessible and editable ini file. There is a very large ini library where you can get “pre made” ini’s. You will need to check the ini and make sure you own the spells. You could also use it as a basis and say , hey would rather use Spell XYZ instead of ABC, so you just delete the reference for ABC and overwrite it with XYZ.

To make a long story short, I went from RGMercs to RGMercs on the tank/puller and KissAssist on the 5 other team members. Ultimately, I moved on to full CWTN Plug-ins for the whole team.

I am now running:

MQ2EsKay
MQ2Enchanter
MQ2Cleric
MQ2Mage
MQ2Bst

I have 2 mages but that was by choice not to save money :)

I am very happy with the work Chats and Sic have done. The team just dinged 96. I started them in June 2022. I am casual so I am happy with the progression.

Be well. Happy gaming.

Last edited:
I prefer RGMercs when leveling low level because things change so fast. Once the levels slow down or I reach max level I switch to KissAssist. While it can be troublesome to get the ini's setup, the conditional parameters and ability to customize each character to a specific type of play works great for me. Do keep in mind that KA is meant to be a (keep it simple silly) approach to customized play and doesn't do everything the class specific plugins can and will do. Conditionals help with that, but it's up to you to figure out what you want and how to implement it.

I prefer RGMercs when leveling low level because things change so fast. Once the levels slow down or I reach max level I switch to KissAssist. While it can be troublesome to get the ini's setup, the conditional parameters and ability to customize each character to a specific type of play works great for me. Do keep in mind that KA is meant to be a (keep it simple silly) approach to customized play and doesn't do everything the class specific plugins can and will do. Conditionals help with that, but it's up to you to figure out what you want and how to implement it.
Thanks Drive. I think I will try KA soon once I get high enough. For the class specific plugins, I assume it's a macro prog all on it's own that each character will run separately which drives the toon? Am I getting that right?

i like you first started with RGMercs because it was an out of the box plug and play option. RGMercs does allow for some customization but you need to do a bit of research to see what the settings are and how to change the values. KissAssist provides for a bit more of customization with a readily accessible and editable ini file. There is a very large ini library where you can get “pre made” ini’s. You will need to check the ini and make sure you own the spells. You could also use it as a basis and say , hey would rather use Spell XYZ instead of ABC, so you just delete the reference for ABC and overwrite it with XYZ.

To make a long story short, I went from RGMercs to RGMercs on the tank/puller and KissAssist on the 5 other team members. Ultimately, I moved on to full CWTN Plug-ins for the whole team.

I am now running:

MQ2EsKay
MQ2Enchanter
MQ2Cleric
MQ2Mage
MQ2Bst

I have 2 mages but that was by choice not to save money :)

I am very happy with the work Chats and Sic have done. The team just dinged 96. I started them in June 2022. I am casual so I am happy with the progression.

Be well. Happy gaming.
Ah excellent. Thank you =)

Thanks Drive. I think I will try KA soon once I get high enough. For the class specific plugins, I assume it's a macro prog all on it's own that each character will run separately which drives the toon? Am I getting that right?

Ah excellent. Thank you =)

CWTN Plug-ins are plug-ins. The major difference between a plug-in and a macro is that only one macro can run on an account at any given time but multiple plug-ins can exist and be loaded simultaneously. KissAssist is a macro. RGMercs is a macro.

Check out the CWTN sub forum for more information. Now to be honest, if you play on a live server, there is a license fee for the CWTN plug-ins, but you can always try them out free of charge on the test server before you make any decision. The CWTN plug-ins are designed by Chats and Sic to function well out of the box, but there are parameters that can be adjusted to tweak them to your liking. No this is not a paid ad. I am a very happy subscriber. Check out Sic’s videos about the plugins for better info. I am typing quickly on my tablet. :)

Be well.Happy gaming.

CWTN Plug-ins are plug-ins. The major difference between a plug-in and a macro is that only one macro can run on an account at any given time but multiple plug-ins can exist and be loaded simultaneously. KissAssist is a macro. RGMercs is a macro.

Check out the CWTN sub forum for more information. Now to be honest, if you play on a live server, there is a license fee for the CWTN plug-ins, but you can always try them out free of charge on the test server before you make any decision. The CWTN plug-ins are designed by Chats and Sic to function well out of the box, but there are parameters that can be adjusted to tweak them to your liking. No this is not a paid ad. I am a very happy subscriber. Check out Sic’s videos about the plugins for better info. I am typing quickly on my tablet. :)

Be well.Happy gaming.
I have started watching the vids actually. Fascinating. Looks like like using RGMercs except there is an actual UI for the settings. Also, a plugin vs a macro like RGMercs, how does it stack up? Would say, if I was running the Enchanter plugin run more efficiently than the RGMercs macro would run the enchanter? Also do the plugins also work at all levels? I still haven't found concrete evidence that they do. I would want to use something that works from 1-120. I notice it's like 20 bucks per year per plugin. So, if I bought all the ones I needed, that is quite the investment per year. I understand I can try for free on test, but nothing is free if you consider your time is worth something right? Any further input is greatly appreciated! =)

I have started watching the vids actually. Fascinating. Looks like like using RGMercs except there is an actual UI for the settings. Also, a plugin vs a macro like RGMercs, how does it stack up? Would say, if I was running the Enchanter plugin run more efficiently than the RGMercs macro would run the enchanter? Also do the plugins also work at all levels? I still haven't found concrete evidence that they do. I would want to use something that works from 1-120. I notice it's like 20 bucks per year per plugin. So, if I bought all the ones I needed, that is quite the investment per year. I understand I can try for free on test, but nothing is free if you consider your time is worth something right? Any further input is greatly appreciated! =)

Yes. The Cwtn plug-ins work at all levels. Watch the MQ2Cleric video as an example. I am going to paraphrase but Sic says something along the lines of, we have that option available for lower levels but higher levels you may want to turn the option off. I think he was speaking of the hand line. Back to your Enchanter question, I use MQ2Enchanter and am pleased with it. At the lower levels I felt RGMercs was mana dumping on the Enchanter. I felt I was getting slowed up a bit waiting to med the Enchanter and Cleric to ~80%. My SK is the big mana hog now but it seems like the cleric and enchanter are no problems. Also the plug-ins will use the various AA skills available to different classes. I think I watched the videos three times for the classes I had interest. Maybe I over thought it, but I am happy now. To be fair I only have experience with the CWTN plugins for EsKay (pronounce it to get Chats humor), Enchanter, Cleric, Mage, and Beastlord. Sic also explains about spell blocking certain spells because of potential casting conflicts between classes. Oh for missing spells, the plugins will tell you what you are missing and what it found and updated for various spell groups. After that you can use /lua run Scriber (Lua script) set your options and off you go to buy spells. I usually set the Lua option to buy my own or else it will try to buy everything.

Time for a quick TBM partisan run then off to bed. Oh side note, I just started using overseer.mac and that works well., but to be safe I will do a /end to end the overseer macro when I am out of the guild lobby and trying to do missions.

That was too long. :)

Be well. Happy gaming.

I have zero xp with RGmercs, but I run SK, WIZ, ENC, SHM, DRU, MAG. I started with 3 rooms and I used KA on SHD and DRU originally and drove with the WIZ. When I went 6, I had to keep DRU and WIZ on KA cuz I'm holding out for the cwtn plug-ins and began driving with the SK.

Cwtn works at all levels as far as I know and they were way easier to use and on point compared to KA. I took quite some time to educate myself on KA and the DRU and WIZ do well, but I find I need several ini files for them depending on the content I am running. Again, once you build the ini's, you can switch with hot keys but when running 6 toons, the cwtn plug-ins are far more efficient and nimble to adjust for whatever content you are doing. My mage is always first or second on dps with cwtn and the ENC rocks with mez.

To be frank, if I formed another group, I would only use toons that cwtn was available for, period. I would guess they're like RGmercs, but on Crack. Well worth the investment imho.

Yes. The Cwtn plug-ins work at all levels. Watch the MQ2Cleric video as an example. I am going to paraphrase but Sic says something along the lines of, we have that option available for lower levels but higher levels you may want to turn the option off. I think he was speaking of the hand line. Back to your Enchanter question, I use MQ2Enchanter and am pleased with it. At the lower levels I felt RGMercs was mana dumping on the Enchanter. I felt I was getting slowed up a bit waiting to med the Enchanter and Cleric to ~80%. My SK is the big mana hog now but it seems like the cleric and enchanter are no problems. Also the plug-ins will use the various AA skills available to different classes. I think I watched the videos three times for the classes I had interest. Maybe I over thought it, but I am happy now. To be fair I only have experience with the CWTN plugins for EsKay (pronounce it to get Chats humor), Enchanter, Cleric, Mage, and Beastlord. Sic also explains about spell blocking certain spells because of potential casting conflicts between classes. Oh for missing spells, the plugins will tell you what you are missing and what it found and updated for various spell groups. After that you can use /lua run Scriber (Lua script) set your options and off you go to buy spells. I usually set the Lua option to buy my own or else it will try to buy everything.

Time for a quick TBM partisan run then off to bed. Oh side note, I just started using overseer.mac and that works well., but to be safe I will do a /end to end the overseer macro when I am out of the guild lobby and trying to do missions.

That was too long. :)

Be well. Happy gaming.
Excellent info. Thank you!

I have zero xp with RGmercs, but I run SK, WIZ, ENC, SHM, DRU, MAG. I started with 3 rooms and I used KA on SHD and DRU originally and drove with the WIZ. When I went 6, I had to keep DRU and WIZ on KA cuz I'm holding out for the cwtn plug-ins and began driving with the SK.

Cwtn works at all levels as far as I know and they were way easier to use and on point compared to KA. I took quite some time to educate myself on KA and the DRU and WIZ do well, but I find I need several ini files for them depending on the content I am running. Again, once you build the ini's, you can switch with hot keys but when running 6 toons, the cwtn plug-ins are far more efficient and nimble to adjust for whatever content you are doing. My mage is always first or second on dps with cwtn and the ENC rocks with mez.

To be frank, if I formed another group, I would only use toons that cwtn was available for, period. I would guess they're like RGmercs, but on Crack. Well worth the investment imho.
Thank you for the input. Helped a lot.

Just a quick disclaimer: Most if not all cwtn (class plugins) do not work on emulator servers. There are some work arounds to get them running, but they are wholly unstable and have a bad habit of crashing the client. Use at your own risk. This is ONLY for emulator servers, Test and Live are fine 99% of the time.
That's cool. I only play on live. But thanks for the heads up!

Just a quick disclaimer: Most if not all cwtn (class plugins) do not work on emulator servers. There are some work arounds to get them running, but they are wholly unstable and have a bad habit of crashing the client. Use at your own risk. This is ONLY for emulator servers, Test and Live are fine 99% of the time.

Question - KissAssist VS RGMercs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back