• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - In your opinion, which roles can remain F2P, and which roles absolutely need to be full access? (1 Viewer)

eqmzr06

RedCents
270¢
I suspect that the absolute bare necessity is the tank and healer should be full access. As for DPS, I theorize I could get away with F2P toons, and the fights would simply take longer. Though, I could be completely wrong, and having any F2P toon in my party might be detrimental. I haven't max leveled any of my toons, yet, so I do not know if there will be a hard ceiling to what I can and cannot do in the later expansions. (Is in TBM content, now).

What are your takes on this?

kaen01

I am not a complete idiot!..some parts are missing
Creator
RedCents
27,941¢
tank 100%
maxed aa healer maybe not, but dont know how well the gear can fit non prestige, else healer must be gold too
rest is fine as f2p once you maxed their aa.

RedCents
19,682¢
Definitely TANK - and If you can - get your tank some raid gear and they will just Pull all your other toons along for the ride.

Pet classes show improvement with better EM earing, but not much difference at all on other classes when they go FTP. Mez resists etc doesnt seem to be effected by Gear.

Especially if your FTP classes are TOV T1 and Max aa they will have around 200Khp/Mana and can survive most ae's that get thrown at them.

Sic

[sic]
RedCents
24,647¢
Pronouns
He/Him
Heal and caster can get away with f2p once max aa, unless you have a hp pool or mana pool problem

Tank 100% should be gold for augs both ac and secondary heroics

Melee dps will have a significant dps drop due to weapon and hdex difference, but still doable depending on your goals.

RedCents
3,588¢
Heal and caster can get away with f2p once max aa, unless you have a hp pool or mana pool problem

Melee dps will have a significant dps drop due to weapon and hdex difference, but still doable depending on your goals.

What Sic said. I'd pop a krono and max out your casters/healers in aa's once they're at 110 or 115 if you're taking the cov plunge. Go full Snowbound on f2p box army, and get all the t1 group drops from tov. It works both for f2p box crew at 110 or 115...depending on what content you're going after.

1. Tank/Melees/DPS - plan on being gold
  2. Casters/Healers - pop a krono, cap out their aa's for a month and then f2p them.

RedCents
1,094¢
Same as I have posted in the past. Tank must be gold and maxed. I find it much easier to have a gold bard for crowd control. Other than that I use all f2p. Once in a while I throw gold on my mage to make a backup EM pet tank. With that being said if your tank can hold all the aggro, that is all you need.

RedCents
3,588¢
Same as I have posted in the past. Tank must be gold and maxed. I find it much easier to have a gold bard for crowd control. Other than that I use all f2p. Once in a while I throw gold on my mage to make a backup EM pet tank. With that being said if your tank can hold all the aggro, that is all you need.

I agree that mage pets are nice backup tanks. I'm also cheap...and from experience can vouch that the EM 21 Earth pet works all they way up to TOV missions and even Velketors when paired with a cleric. I used my mage to gear up my whole team when my tank was worthless.

With that being said, if you can buy/farm the tov EM 21 Pet ear (Shivery Earring of Summoning) in TOV great divide and equip your mages with that they'll run very well without krono (once maxed in aa's). Just remember not to use any prestige augs.

If you're working you way up and your team is still a little squishy consider running dual mages until your tank can take the heat.

Update to the post above: the Shivery Earring of Summoning came through yet again while ore farming in COV. It helped my dual mage and assorted chars team get the tank and dps chars all their ores in just under a week of casual play before the nerf patch. We were clearing named's with ease, avg parse per mage is 10-14 mil per fight using alliance and max pet build.

This item is a must have if you're going the dual or triple mage ftp route.

Last edited:
RedCents
1,336¢
Yep mage pet kept my group going through TBL until my tank had good enough gear. (Vicious cycle - not enough gear to tank named, need to kill named to get gear...). Casters seem much less affected by going F2P than melee DPS.

Pamv88

RedCents
464¢
Question - you can sub for a month with a krono and max out your aa's but if you go back to free to play after that are you stuck with the 9 spell gems?

Sic

[sic]
RedCents
24,647¢
Pronouns
He/Him
Question - you can sub for a month with a krono and max out your aa's but if you go back to free to play after that are you stuck with the 9 spell gems?
You get to keep any AA's you earned during that period (either from autogrant or grinding) you just can't earn and assign any more afterwards.

this is definitely a viable option for f2p toons - to slap a krono, autogrant, and then grind for 30 days before back to f2p

Pamv88

RedCents
464¢
You get to keep any AA's you earned during that period (either from autogrant or grinding) you just can't earn and assign any more afterwards.

this is definitely a viable option for f2p toons - to slap a krono, autogrant, and then grind for 30 days before back to f2p
It can definitely work for free to play option and still get all your aa's is what I was thinking. Are the 13 spells gems all access or what gives you them, I guess is what I am asking. I thought you got 12 from subbing and the 13th from the AA Mnemonic Retention but maybe they were given in diff expansions? I am some expansions behind and not fully subbed so I wasnt sure how that worked. If they are gotten by subbing and you sub one month, do you lose them when back to f2p?

Sic

[sic]
RedCents
24,647¢
Pronouns
He/Him
It can definitely work for free to play option and still get all your aa's is what I was thinking. Are the 13 spells gems all access or what gives you them, I guess is what I am asking. I thought you got 12 from subbing and the 13th from the AA Mnemonic Retention but maybe they were given in diff expansions? I am some expansions behind and not fully subbed so I wasnt sure how that worked. If they are gotten by subbing and you sub one month, do you lose them when back to f2p?
its just the aa that unlocks it - so if you unlocked the AA you can still use the gems np

RedCents
2,218¢
Only char that needs gold is your tank, I've literally just fully completed ToV, with just the tank being gold and rest of group all silver and in T1 gear, not really had any issues, certainly no dps issues, gold dps would definitely have helped, but only by making things quicker

RedCents
73¢
Only char that needs gold is your tank, I've literally just fully completed ToV, with just the tank being gold and rest of group all silver and in T1 gear, not really had any issues, certainly no dps issues, gold dps would definitely have helped, but only by making things quicker
Did you sub the other accounts at some point or did you just get the 1k AA for silver and that’s it?

RedCents
3,559¢
I just now when I hit Can Purchase button by mistake on the AA window it wont look like the UI pooped out

Edit: looking back, no clue how drunk I was when this got posted...

Last edited:

eqmzr06

RedCents
270¢
Oh my. I didn't realize that this post would become this popular. I guess I sometimes have good questions. Lol

RedCents
3,588¢

My suggestion on FTP melee would be ranger. You can parse really high with a dual or triple ranger team build once you max out their aa's with just bow/alliance. Max out your heroic dexterity. You can run a ranger (with full burns) with 1-3 social keys. They are a breeze to set up in Kiss Assist.

RedCents
3,588¢
The only thing I’ll say is I’m not so sure COV missions can be completed without gold - the spell damage is brutal But otherwise this is all on point.

You can with a dual or triple mage team with a decent tank, cleric, and crowd control. I've done with with War (gold), Mage (3x ftp), Enchanter (ftp), Cleric (ftp)....granted they all have near max aa's.

RedCents
4,592¢
You can with a dual or triple mage team with a decent tank, cleric, and crowd control. I've done with with War (gold), Mage (3x ftp), Enchanter (ftp), Cleric (ftp)....granted they all have near max aa's.

The mage and cleric lived through crusaders and Ary AE? I’m kind of in shock but I have no idea what FTP buffs to right now. I would imagine melee would be messy with the wild rampage going on in crusaders.

RedCents
3,588¢
The mage and cleric lived through crusaders and Ary AE? I’m kind of in shock but I have no idea what FTP buffs to right now. I would imagine melee would be messy with the wild rampage going on in crusaders.

It was a bit messy and I had a bunch of wipes (mostly due to my crappy tank), but yes it can be done w/ battle rezzes etc. Our server has nice people that will MGB's (raid buff basically everyone) ... so that was helpful.

Now i'm not saying it's optimal, or easy...but you can force your way through. Something to note, these chars are wearing non-prestige stuff but they're max aa...that makes a huge difference in dps output for mages, and also cleric healing.

dealings

RedCents
2,188¢
been close w silver melee on Crusaders mission, made it to 4th Dragon before went belly up
1 shm as only healer, only tank was gold
if this is the only thing I need to be gold for on box crew, I can skip it after a win

RedCents
3,588¢
been close w silver melee on Crusaders mission, made it to 4th Dragon before went belly up
1 shm as only healer, only tank was gold
if this is the only thing I need to be gold for on box crew, I can skip it after a win

Nice! so personal opinion here for group content shaman healing is awesome, for extreme stuff like this war/cleric is a must. I love my Sk but they just can't mitigate long-term crazy engagements like this the way a war can.

RedCents
374¢
Nice! so personal opinion here for group content shaman healing is awesome, for extreme stuff like this war/cleric is a must. I love my new baby sk but she just can't mitigate long-term crazy engagements like this the way my war can atm. <<<<thats because warriors are tanks. sk and pally are finger wigglers

RedCents
3,588¢
Nice! so personal opinion here for group content shaman healing is awesome, for extreme stuff like this war/cleric is a must. I love my new baby sk but she just can't mitigate long-term crazy engagements like this the way my war can atm. <<<<thats because warriors are tanks. sk and pally are finger wigglers

lol...nice.

Saffron

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
2,697¢
Lies. Even when my healer goes down my SK keeps going like nothing happened. Healers are needed for the rest of the group.

RedCents
4,592¢
It was a bit messy and I had a bunch of wipes (mostly due to my crappy tank), but yes it can be done w/ battle rezzes etc. Our server has nice people that will MGB's (raid buff basically everyone) ... so that was helpful.

Now i'm not saying it's optimal, or easy...but you can force your way through. Something to note, these chars are wearing non-prestige stuff but they're max aa...that makes a huge difference in dps output for mages, and also cleric healing.

So I’m just surprised my chars are max aa but even at 375k hp I’ve been forced to battle Rez. I definitely don’t doubt the dps but didn’t realize non-prestige gear had enough hp for it.

I haven’t tried shaman in crusaders yet ( I think I will soon) but typically run sk (although I have a war also) brd, cleric, 3 ber when I want to do the hard content. Personally I think the SK is 10x easier to keep up then the war - both equally geared. Between epic (love this for ber on the missions), OMM bp, life taps (which is huge for ae/group missions to be honest). It’s actually a lot less work to keep sk up. I can’t think of a group mission that lasts long enough to run through my sk discs - especially factoring in reavers’s bargain.

This week I might try switching it up some and sub in the war/shaman and just see difference On the missions.

RedCents
374¢
Lies. Even when my healer goes down my SK keeps going like nothing happened. Healers are needed for the rest of the group. <<< so you are saying the sk can not hold agro enough to keep your healer and the rest of the group alive huh? i understand, those things happen when you use inferior tools to do a job /s

ToeJamSamy

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
564¢
Lies. Even when my healer goes down my SK keeps going like nothing happened. Healers are needed for the rest of the group. <<< so you are saying the sk can not hold agro enough to keep your healer and the rest of the group alive huh? i understand, those things happen when you use inferior tools to do a job /s
The discussion was about aes being too much for ftp gear, and such aes can take out the healer. As well as repops, roamers, trains, etc. If you lose a healer on your warrior, what happens?

Killertoxin

RedCents
412¢
TBH I all access all my toons as I hate restricted game play, however, with KR in the game its reasonable for me to get 6 of them over a months game time. I make sure to use traders to funnel plat into my coffers then purchase KR from general chat sellers. I don't get enough top tier tradable loot to sell for kronos outright to. That said about 13mpp a month to keep all my accounts active. I suppose you could buy rk 2 access and a shit ton of aa cap scrolls but I can buy em with ingame currency.

ToeJamSamy

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
564¢
TBH I all access all my toons as I hate restricted game play, however, with KR in the game its reasonable for me to get 6 of them over a months game time. I make sure to use traders to funnel plat into my coffers then purchase KR from general chat sellers. I don't get enough top tier tradable loot to sell for kronos outright to. That said about 13mpp a month to keep all my accounts active. I suppose you could buy rk 2 access and a shit ton of aa cap scrolls but I can buy em with ingame currency.
That's exactly what I do but it's at least 14mill for 6 soon to be 15 mill on out server. I figure if I can average half a mill on traders a day, I can buy Kronos for the 6 I play. I do however pay for my traders a year upfront or else I'd never have traders lol.

Question - In your opinion, which roles can remain F2P, and which roles absolutely need to be full access?

Users who are viewing this thread