• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - I finally broke down (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,189¢
So I finally broke down and bought a new computer. After boxing on two HP computers 6 plus years and I might add the best 1,000. (2x500. each) I spent at the time for strictly boxing eq. With stick figures I could run up to 30 toons on each computer. Most of the time 15 on each computer was sufficient when needed. As everquest became more intensive, things began to slow down. Time took it's toll on the hardware, the hard drive was crying for help.

My wife always gets my hand me downs most of the time because I hate seeing her spend money on computers when she seems to have a way of cluttering them up to the point of needing restored. I retired her 10 year old hp and moved one of my beloved boxes to her office and started shopping. I may be a tight wad at times, but no no she is not deprived and she has a brand touch screen new laptop, :)

I came across what I thought was a good fit on ebay. Omen 30L Desktop GT13 with an Core I-7 processor liquid cooled, 32 gb memory and fit for a gaming. With the mining boom, people are buying these and removing the gpu for mining. Selling the remainder of the computer ready for a gpu. After a bit of research I found these going for over 3,000 on the HP website. I tossed a bid on it for 700. and low and behold I win the computer for 650.

The computer arrived in the original box like brand new only missing the GPU. Being an on and off miner I had plenty of cards laying around to use. I had 60 cards running back in the day and a couple years ago slowly started selling off my rigs. In my stack I had a GTX 1080 ti that needed a fan. I spent all of fifteen minutes replacing the fan and slapped the GPU into the computer and fired it up.

Wow, talk about a huge difference in speed, performance and quality. I was amazed that after all these years of using my beloved boxes there was so much improvement in computers. I see now why these kids cry and moan about getting the latest computer or graphics card when it hits the market.

Now the fun began. Installing everything that would make my new computer feel more like home. Lets face it, when you get a new computer you always have in the back of your mind what a pain it is to transfer all of your stuff to the new computer. Then you slowly realize it was way more of a pain than the pain you remembered.

So I started by plugging in my old hard drive via usb port and copying over all of my eq and mq2 files. Installing my must have programs like 7-Zip and Notepad++. Then the process of optimizing everything for optimal performance. Everything worked like a dream and I was ready for a new gaming experience.

I started up mq2 and then loaded a toon. The everquest login music that I haven't heard in years sent emotions flowing. The graphics are unbelievable to the naked eye. I almost wanted to just create a new toon and start all over again, but that quickly faded. Once in game I went about optimizing everything in game for maximum performance but couldn't bring myself to completely go all the way. I guess for now I will enjoy some of the things like effects, sounds and details that I have missed for so many years.

My review of the Omen 30L is nothing but positive. For the price (650 usd) I can't really see how you could go wrong. I have been running 12 toons on it for several days now without missing a beat. Absolutely satisfied with the results. Thank you for reading and happy gaming.

So I finally broke down and bought a new computer. After boxing on two HP computers 6 plus years and I might add the best 1,000. (2x500. each) I spent at the time for strictly boxing eq. With stick figures I could run up to 30 toons on each computer. Most of the time 15 on each computer was sufficient when needed. As everquest became more intensive, things began to slow down. Time took it's toll on the hardware, the hard drive was crying for help.

My wife always gets my hand me downs most of the time because I hate seeing her spend money on computers when she seems to have a way of cluttering them up to the point of needing restored. I retired her 10 year old hp and moved one of my beloved boxes to her office and started shopping. I may be a tight wad at times, but no no she is not deprived and she has a brand touch screen new laptop, :)

I came across what I thought was a good fit on ebay. Omen 30L Desktop GT13 with an Core I-7 processor liquid cooled, 32 gb memory and fit for a gaming. With the mining boom, people are buying these and removing the gpu for mining. Selling the remainder of the computer ready for a gpu. After a bit of research I found these going for over 3,000 on the HP website. I tossed a bid on it for 700. and low and behold I win the computer for 650.

The computer arrived in the original box like brand new only missing the GPU. Being an on and off miner I had plenty of cards laying around to use. I had 60 cards running back in the day and a couple years ago slowly started selling off my rigs. In my stack I had a GTX 1080 ti that needed a fan. I spent all of fifteen minutes replacing the fan and slapped the GPU into the computer and fired it up.

Wow, talk about a huge difference in speed, performance and quality. I was amazed that after all these years of using my beloved boxes there was so much improvement in computers. I see now why these kids cry and moan about getting the latest computer or graphics card when it hits the market.

Now the fun began. Installing everything that would make my new computer feel more like home. Lets face it, when you get a new computer you always have in the back of your mind what a pain it is to transfer all of your stuff to the new computer. Then you slowly realize it was way more of a pain than the pain you remembered.

So I started by plugging in my old hard drive via usb port and copying over all of my eq and mq2 files. Installing my must have programs like 7-Zip and Notepad++. Then the process of optimizing everything for optimal performance. Everything worked like a dream and I was ready for a new gaming experience.

I started up mq2 and then loaded a toon. The everquest login music that I haven't heard in years sent emotions flowing. The graphics are unbelievable to the naked eye. I almost wanted to just create a new toon and start all over again, but that quickly faded. Once in game I went about optimizing everything in game for maximum performance but couldn't bring myself to completely go all the way. I guess for now I will enjoy some of the things like effects, sounds and details that I have missed for so many years.

My review of the Omen 30L is nothing but positive. For the price (650 usd) I can't really see how you could go wrong. I have been running 12 toons on it for several days now without missing a beat. Absolutely satisfied with the results. Thank you for reading and happy gaming.
no pictures - boo

Gratz tho!

Man, I had no idea people were stooping to buying entire gaming rigs just for the GPUs... I have a GTX 1080 in my box now that I would gladly swap into an upgraded rig. Any examples online or links of stuff comparable to what you got?

Man, I had no idea people were stooping to buying entire gaming rigs just for the GPUs... I have a GTX 1080 in my box now that I would gladly swap into an upgraded rig. Any examples online or links of stuff comparable to what you got?
There are a bunch on ebay. I was mostly concerned with getting at least 32 gb ram, some come with less or more and watch the price some come with I-7, I-8 and I-9 Processors. But a 3k ish computer for less than 700. and only adding a gpu I think it is a great buy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...op=15&rt=nc&RAM%20Size=20%2D39%20GB&_dcat=179

Companies creating mining cards and locking everything else out of mining is something I normally wouldn't agree with but this no gaming cards because of miners shit is out of hand.

Yep and companies are taking advantage of it. Microcenter is charging $1k for cards that should cost $499. They want $899+ for any of the AMD 6700 XTs which is absurd. They even have some 6900s for $2500 here.

I was going to build a new pc until I looked into the video card fiasco. I am not paying stupid prices for a card. My current pc is going to have to do.

i rarely ever buy a prebuilt, they tend to have iffy motherboards / ram / psu. but honestly at these price points for what ya get, i might look at replacing my 10 year old beast of a pc. great find man!

Canonballdex, congrats ! I bet it feels awesome. It must be so great to see those guys load so fast and smooth.

I did something similar back at last Black Friday time. Sounds like you got a WAY better deal, but I figured I'd share mine as well if it would help anyone. I got this basically:
Dell XPS 8940 Tower - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10700 - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (4GB) , 64GB Ram, 1TB SSD+2TB HDD Was $1599 (black friday sale week, normal sale is $1799) Since its from Costco, also I have 4year warranty.
I know everyone has varied experience with Dell or even Costco, but I have had good experiences.

After reading your post I want to buy a new pc :).

DO IT! I run up to 24 on an AMD 16 core with 64 megs memory and an old shitty video card and not only do I no longer need MQ2Wire, but I zone in seconds and never lag. For 2 grand or so I have a computer that will last me for many, many years to come and can now run as many accounts as I like with zero lag, it was a fantastic choice for me.

I know everyone has varied experience with Dell or even Costco, but I have had good experiences.
My wife had a dell when I met her. I feel the same about HP, I have bought a dozen different HP computers over the years and they all have lasted as long as I used them without any issues other than just not being able to handle newer software (some ten years). I did have one issue with a laptop that the battery had started smoking and the laptop wouldn't power up. I will admit it was after I added more ram, but I don't see where it would have caused the problem with the battery unless I shorted something out in the process. (I have worked on computers pretty much since they have been a household thing. haha). I sent it back on warranty and they sent me a new one no questions asked.

One note about battery issues (smoking, swelling, overheating) is that most companies will replace the whole computer even if it's a little out of warranty due to the implied liability of possibly having set your house on fire.

. So i have many many questions for you and any others knowledgeable on the subjects of back ups, restores and transferring programs to new computer. What operating system were you using. How did you maintain your computer for 10 plus years. i was wondering if you knew a way to restore windows 7 or tricks/hacks to backing up micro office. I assume your using windows 10 but what version and did you check to see if it was all compatible or if they were up to date drivers. Did you loose any programs like a micro soft office or maybe you were able to back it up ? If i buy new computer or do reset i would like to keep my office program.

So i have many many questions for you and any others knowledgeable on the subjects of back ups, restores and transferring programs to new computer. What operating system were you using. How did you maintain your computer for 10 plus years. i was wondering if you knew a way to restore windows 7 or tricks/hacks to backing up micro office. I assume your using windows 10 but what version and did you check to see if it was all compatible or if they were up to date drivers. Did you loose any programs like a micro soft office or maybe you were able to back it up ? If i buy new computer or do reset i would like to keep my office program.
How I maintain my computer for 10 years.
1. I am the only one allowed to use it. (no kids, no wife, period)
2. I blow out the dust regularly with a low pressure compressor. You would be surprised how much better it runs after every cleaning. This has to be the number one killer of processors, video cards, memory. If your machine is heating up for any reason it will wear and tear on the computers life span. I have seen people burn up a computer in a few years. When I take the thing apart there is literally a half inch of dust and dog hair in the heat sink and fans.
3. I already went from 7 to 10 on the old machine before I moved everything over to the new one. Some programs like Office and Movie Maker I got by doing a Google Search. They work just fine. Some programs you can right click the shortcut and go to compatibility mode and select windows 7 or whatever is compatible.
4. There are several methods to transferring your files to a new computer. I personally like to just take the hard drive from the old one and hook it up to the new one and copy and paste what I need when I need it. Most programs will run fine just copying over all of the required folders and files.

How I maintain my computer for 10 years.
1. I am the only one allowed to use it. (no kids, no wife, period)
2. I blow out the dust regularly with a low pressure compressor. You would be surprised how much better it runs after every cleaning. This has to be the number one killer of processors, video cards, memory. If your machine is heating up for any reason it will wear and tear on the computers life span. I have seen people burn up a computer in a few years. When I take the thing apart there is literally a half inch of dust and dog hair in the heat sink and fans.
3. I already went from 7 to 10 on the old machine before I moved everything over to the new one. Some programs like Office and Movie Maker I got by doing a Google Search. They work just fine. Some programs you can right click the shortcut and go to compatibility mode and select windows 7 or whatever is compatible.
4. There are several methods to transferring your files to a new computer. I personally like to just take the hard drive from the old one and hook it up to the new one and copy and paste what I need when I need it. Most programs will run fine just copying over all of the required folders and files.

Good list! I agree with you!

I do system cleanups, tune-ups, and migrations for money so I've found some tools to help with the processes.

A. Belarc Advisor will get me a detailed listing of the existing configuration and the software and the licenses.
Products: Belarc Advisor

B. Fabs AutoBackupPro is amazing user data migration software. (Saves a lot of time hunting for stuff. Links to Nirsoft utilities automatically to obtain passwords from browsers, wi-fi and e-mail, and product keys!)
Fab's AutoBackup (fpnet.fr)

C. DataVac Electric Duster to keep computers clean. (Massive pressure, use outdoors only, and use finger or screwdriver to keep fans from spinning right off their bearings!)
DataVac Electric Duster - Better Than Compressed Air | MetroVac

IRL - I finally broke down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back