• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - I feel silly asking, but...to run GMM The Darkness Howls (1 Viewer)

RedCents
333¢
I probably know the answer, just looking for confirmation and comfort.

I’m running with a very odd team make up right now, just down to circumstance. My best toons are Pally and Dru 115, Sk and Cleric 110, all these with granted AA and half decent kit. then a mix bunch of characters I’m levelling between 107 and 95, will rubbish kit and only basic AA. They inc; Shammy, Bard, Ber, Rog, Wiz, Ench and Mag

I’ve tried a few times to run The Darkness Howls but my dos sucks and I can heal for so long and then the tanks die etc etc.

Still working on levelling the others and focus is on CC and DpS classes, the equipment and intend to use Krono to autogrant AA.

I was hoping to be able to run a tank, heal, cc, dps, dps setup with a spare slot for PLing and to bring AA on tank/Sk, using Grind.

I think my basic problem is dps, thoughts?

Well, is dps your problem? Only you can say.

I'd imagine CC is your problem as GMM can have a bunch of adds.

For a Pl team I'd recommend tank, heal, cc, dps, dps, plspot

No CC and Adps from CC classes is going to probably bite you

If the instance scales, I dont recall if it does or not. The instance will scale to the highest character. So you have 107 mobs and level 95 characters, I also dont see a tank in your list. I highly recommend a PAL/SK/WAR. When I did GMM I had to get 110 and some defensive AA to be able to kill it with my SK tank without being murdered by the second or 3rd stage of the task.

Thank you guys. @Sic I think my basic problem is dps. I have a 115 Pally and 110 SK and was trying to use both as they are probably my best dps, but then I had not considered @hammackj input regarding instance scaling! I was throwing in a Pally/Dru at 115, thinking they would plough through the content, BUT it looks like they are actually hampering it for the rest of the team but upping the mob levels!! (bugger!)

My Sk can tank the instance, he's 110 with auto-grant AA plus a few extra and good kit. I have a great cleric healer and a shammy if needed. CC is either Chanter or Bard, but I need to choose, and then for dps (my main problem) it looks like I need to focus on them and make sure I get their level and kit to 110+ and make sure they get auto-grant AAs to make sure their output is optimised.

Thank you @macromanic and @turnittotheright for your input as well :)

Rubbish and kit, your toons must be British. Scaling might be an issue. There was a controversy about this awhile back. I would focus on pulling and cc. You can do this mission where you only pull singles and doubles but you need patience.

So.... @Redmonkey , I was actually trying to start using MQ2Grind by senior @hytiek to get some AA on my tank mainly and then to help PL a few additional toons. Trying to choose between the first two instances;
GMM The Darkness Howls and the one in FM (where the gobbies spin-stun!), and sort of was hoping to assume that GMM would be easier....I know hahahaha on assumptions!

Thank you guys. @Sic I think my basic problem is dps. I have a 115 Pally and 110 SK and was trying to use both as they are probably my best dps, but then I had not considered @hammackj input regarding instance scaling! I was throwing in a Pally/Dru at 115, thinking they would plough through the content, BUT it looks like they are actually hampering it for the rest of the team but upping the mob levels!! (bugger!)

My Sk can tank the instance, he's 110 with auto-grant AA plus a few extra and good kit. I have a great cleric healer and a shammy if needed. CC is either Chanter or Bard, but I need to choose, and then for dps (my main problem) it looks like I need to focus on them and make sure I get their level and kit to 110+ and make sure they get auto-grant AAs to make sure their output is optimised.

Thank you @macromanic and @turnittotheright for your input as well :)
i dont think Darkness Howls scales, im pretty sure its a set level instance, ive farmed it for a long time and never noticed the mobs scaling.

use Paly as tank, druid as dps (get a druid ini for dps or setup mercdruid to dps) put a good 2h on SK and set to dps, bard singing songs and ur others.

My 115 paly with TOV gear could solo 2 mobs at a time in there no other heals or dps. with cov gear he plows through it, now when i run it i dont bother taking a healer(unless levelling one) i just solo heal with paly

Be wary of taking an MQ2 group to FM.
I played my second group (all ftp) for weeks day by day at FM. But b4 leaving keyboard, even for a couple of minutes, I either moved my group to a spot where no roamers pass by, or, if sure that no roaners see invis, invised them up. Of coarse I assured that all was /mqp'ed and /paused. I remember of some visits of gm's but felt not to be suspected of anything after replying in a timely manner.
For sure not a place to let anything run unattended. But none of us does so, don't we?

If you're going to use the druid in the line up, try Paralytic Spray if and when too many mobs are pulled. Then pick them off one at a time being mindful of the root timers. Succor is your friend if being overwhelmed.

Here is my Setup for this my Core is War, Cleric, and Enchanter All have about 20k AA's and Snowbound gear my other three slots are zerkers currently with crap defiant gear and no AA's All 110's except my War who is 113 atm.
I'm able to handle it just fine I could even trade out one of the zerkers easily for a power level slot which i plan to do once War is maxed on AA.

You may be running into a issue with mana regen since grind by default doesn't pause for med breaks. Check out the Reacts I created in the MQ2Grind and MQ2React Library Thread should help with that working great for my chanter and cleric to pause for med breaks.

I probably know the answer, just looking for confirmation and comfort.

I’m running with a very odd team make up right now, just down to circumstance. My best toons are Pally and Dru 115, Sk and Cleric 110, all these with granted AA and half decent kit. then a mix bunch of characters I’m levelling between 107 and 95, will rubbish kit and only basic AA. They inc; Shammy, Bard, Ber, Rog, Wiz, Ench and Mag

I’ve tried a few times to run The Darkness Howls but my dos sucks and I can heal for so long and then the tanks die etc etc.

Still working on levelling the others and focus is on CC and DpS classes, the equipment and intend to use Krono to autogrant AA.

I was hoping to be able to run a tank, heal, cc, dps, dps setup with a spare slot for PLing and to bring AA on tank/Sk, using Grind.

I think my basic problem is dps, thoughts?
Did they change the experience of this mission? Ive killed about 40 of these orcs to only get 2-3% regular xp at 111. I just came back to EQ and dont remember this being an issue.

When my group was ungood, I used the SK to Snare and then harmshield (this is key in close quarters or hard pull spots) and then run to a spot and FD. Once the others walked away I could beat up the single without fear of adds. that is if you have no or terrible cc.

I used this technique on the 2nd part where they are all bunched together on the ledge.

When I use the enchanter, life is.. better.

Last edited:
@Sinickal i don't think anyone has said it so use Calm. The pal, druid, and cleric have calm. Cleric has the best followed by druid, and the pally's sucks. Calm will let you pull 2 or 3 mobs out of a cluster of 8. I have it up on my cleric and bard. I don't use aoe mez in that zone.

Question - I feel silly asking, but...to run GMM The Darkness Howls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back