• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Toast - Hi everyone, us oldies come back! (1 Viewer)

RedCents
600¢
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Everyone, just found this software and site so I got to have a look.
Been away from EQ for many years, hell there's plenty to be away from and still have been around a lot.
Played for about six years from launch then went to WoW for a coupla years... never really liked it as much. joined a private EQ server called "Shards of Dalaya" for a few more years, that was a lot of fun with really mixed up zone connections and quite cool quests etc. got a bit bored with that though so went and played real life for a few years too. Anyway I saw EQ free to play on steam a while back and thought why not eh?
So here I am again, back to playing Live. I've also got a couple of accounts on Daybreak so I can box three chars atm although I'm still getting the third one up to the same level as the first two (Lvl 60 Shaman and Mage, lvl 47 druid).
Totally new to this method of boxing, so any links to tutorials helping to get up and running would be helpful of course.
I'm playing on Firiona Vie and live in New Zealand so my playing times will probably be different from most but I'm used to empty zones that's why I hang out in the a lot!

Cheers Everyone

Welcome back to RG! And welcome to RedGuides.

I edited your toon names as posting them is a bad idea.

the > Starter Vids < are a good place to look as they will get you cookin pretty quickly

Hi Everyone, just found this software and site so I got to have a look.
Been away from EQ for many years, hell there's plenty to be away from and still have been around a lot.
Played for about six years from launch then went to WoW for a coupla years... never really liked it as much. joined a private EQ server called "Shards of Dalaya" for a few more years, that was a lot of fun with really mixed up zone connections and quite cool quests etc. got a bit bored with that though so went and played real life for a few years too. Anyway I saw EQ free to play on steam a while back and thought why not eh?
So here I am again, back to playing Live. I've also got a couple of accounts on Daybreak so I can box three chars atm although I'm still getting the third one up to the same level as the first two (Lvl 60 Shaman and Mage, lvl 47 druid).
Totally new to this method of boxing, so any links to tutorials helping to get up and running would be helpful of course.
I'm playing on Firiona Vie and live in New Zealand so my playing times will probably be different from most but I'm used to empty zones that's why I hang out in the a lot!

Cheers Everyone
Welcome back! Enjoy!

My first recommendation is to create 3 more characters. Run an entire full group. It's cumbersome to start that way in regards to financially buying spells/abilities/gear, but it's going to save you the time you would have spent at higher levels adding more toons to your group and leveling them later.

Second is, setup your group to have a tank, healer, crowd control, and 3 DPS.
There's nothing more effective than having the Trio of tank/healer/CC when you're doing content. If any one of those 3 are missing you will find yourself depending on others probably more than you'd like.

You'll also want to make sure that you use the launcher and use the dropdown to grab "Next" instead of "Live".
Next is also for Live servers, and will soon be the only thing offered at redguides as we're ushering in the new.

For help with your groups I hear a good starting place is RGMercs/KissAssist.

Kissassist requires a bit of understanding of the characters, and requires you fill in the INI as you get new spells or abilities. Alternately you can download INI's for it from our INI library, though at lower levels there isn't much to offer.

RGMercs requires less understanding of the group and only some knowledge of how to get around with your box team.

Be sure to check out the various resources available to you, and ask questions if you need help. A good option for getting help as you're just starting is to use the Redguides discord. You'll find "Discord" dropdown at the top of every page on redguides. If you're not familiar with Discord, it's essentially a text chat with the option to also do voice/screenshare send screenshots and other things you might want to do in real time when you need assistance getting started.

CWTN

Because CWTN doesn't want to plug his own (and Sic's) premium class plugins I will do it. If you want to streamline your playing experience and spend more time playing than modifying .ini files then I suggest investing in at least one of their plugins to see how nice it is. The price you pay up front for a year of use is well worth the time you would be saving. However, if you are a DIY guy then you will find time well spent using MA/KA... some will be necessary for unreleased plugin classes anyway. Welcome back.

If they're interested in trying them out, they come with the test server for free. No need to make a purchase first.
There is a Next for test server, just not available on the launcher yet. So you'd have to download it manually for the moment.

We also don't have all the classes available.

Finally, you are right Honge I don't like to advertise my own things. For new users I try to let them try out the free options available to them, and let the other members tell them if they feel it's worth an honorable mention :-P

If they're interested in trying them out, they come with the test server for free. No need to make a purchase first.
There is a Next for test server, just not available on the launcher yet. So you'd have to download it manually for the moment.

Finally, you are right Honge I don't like to advertise my own things. For new users I try to let them try out the free options available to them, and let the other members tell them if they feel it's worth an honorable mention :-P
well I will join Honge and say. Go buy the SHm and Mage CWTN class plugins, you wont regret it, they simplify the entire process leveling up and having your characters actually do what you need them to do.

I agree with Chat, go ahead and do 5 or 6. The holy trinity as him and sic and many others will and have said, is tank/heal/dps you have tank and dps already. instead of the druid do up a chanter or bard, second mage then either a 3rd mage/bst or a tank(paly sk war) Multi Mage pet tanking is viable up to max level, but having a solid tank is often the better choice, specially if you want to do instances and stuff

Bonus is, you only have to buy 1 plugin for all mages(you can run as many mages as you want) etc but need to buy 1 for each CLASS you want to play(i currently own them all)

I would do RG Mercs for the earlier levels unless you have lots of time to keep your KA inis up to date. I would also look to level where you can make pp for spells unless you spring for a krono. I spring for a krono when I came back. Being broke is no fun. Welcome back and have fun.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've now got a full group of 6 level 65 chars, many of you might not agree with the class choices but they're working ok for me at the moment.
There's a Dwarf cleric, Halfling Druid, DE Mage, Troll Shaman, Ogre Shadow Knight and Gnome Wizard... for now ;)
Yes, I know... massively healer heavy but it still doesn't stop me wiping when I fall asleep :P So I guess some crowd control will be coming up sometime, I'm still having fun with this group though.
I've been mainly using Kissassist and macros that use it (gotta admit I like FullAuto.mac), I've been reading the ini files and slowly learning how to change them to suit my play style and group.
I might make another group of different classes to level up next, some weird concoction that'll probably be really healer light, maybe a paladin for main healer Warrior for tank, bard and chanter for CC to make up for the light heals then maybe a beastie berserker combo for the DPS?
Started doing epics for my toons this week, started with the Cleric simply because it's first alphabetically 😉. Massively underestimated Ixiblat and my own abilities so redoing the cleric stuff but the others get a go first. I was sitting underwater doing the shaman epic last night when fironia vie went down for I don't know how long, I went to bed instead so, shaman reset too :bang: Wish me luck with the rest, I've already got Quillmanes Cloak on my shammy ready to MQ with the mage so she might get done this weekend!
Anyone else on FV?
It must be time to stop typing and get back to playing!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've now got a full group of 6 level 65 chars, many of you might not agree with the class choices but they're working ok for me at the moment.
There's a Dwarf cleric, Halfling Druid, DE Mage, Troll Shaman, Ogre Shadow Knight and Gnome Wizard... for now ;)
Yes, I know... massively healer heavy but it still doesn't stop me wiping when I fall asleep :P So I guess some crowd control will be coming up sometime, I'm still having fun with this group though.
I've been mainly using Kissassist and macros that use it (gotta admit I like FullAuto.mac), I've been reading the ini files and slowly learning how to change them to suit my play style and group.
I might make another group of different classes to level up next, some weird concoction that'll probably be really healer light, maybe a paladin for main healer Warrior for tank, bard and chanter for CC to make up for the light heals then maybe a beastie berserker combo for the DPS?
Started doing epics for my toons this week, started with the Cleric simply because it's first alphabetically 😉. Massively underestimated Ixiblat and my own abilities so redoing the cleric stuff but the others get a go first. I was sitting underwater doing the shaman epic last night when fironia vie went down for I don't know how long, I went to bed instead so, shaman reset too :bang: Wish me luck with the rest, I've already got Quillmanes Cloak on my shammy ready to MQ with the mage so she might get done this weekend!
Anyone else on FV?
It must be time to stop typing and get back to playing!
I'm glad you're having fun with it. MQ makes EQ fun again. Without it, I wouldn't still be playing.

Pally as the main healer? You're mad...and I like it.

As a guy who used to run six toons on KA and then switched to CWTN Im in a good place to give a testamonial. By all means, play around with KA or RGM to see what they are like but I can say without question you wont find anything easier to use and more effective than CWTN plugins. I use Monk, Rogue, Warrior, Berzerker, Enchanter, Cleric and Shaman (still waiting for Bard! 😂). The only way to play better would be to play the toon yourself. Even then, you might be able to eeek out a bit more DPS if you are a very skilled player but probably not enough to justify the effort.

My whole crew (other than Bard) is on CWTN plugins and I couldn't be happier. Additionally @ChatWithThisName is very responsive and helpful if you have any issues getting started or along the way.

Monday Update... (3 days later)
Made a new group on Friday night, Vah Shir Bard, Vah Shir Beastlord, Dwarf Berserker, High Elf Enchanter, Drakkin Paladin and an Iksar Warrior.
Sunday night full group of level 21s :hfive:
Tried RGMercs at first but maybe it was cos they're too low to work well so went back to Kissassist
I have to admit a bit of twinking from the older toons but the gear they passed on is still pretty crap.
I'm having to keep an eye on the paladins ini files, he likes to bash things a lot and I make him sit down for mana more than he'd like but it's working so far! ;)
This is fun! :rock:

You may want to go gold here and there of not permanent on some toons later on, so save up for Kronos or subs. Free is nice...to a point. The fear and aa limits are rough later on, gear for specific archetypes and aa for all, but you can go gold once and use autogrant to keep all the free aas when your month is up, but starting from scratch some classes will need that earlier than others. Don't forget to watch for prestige gear since can't use it on f2p, or most augs(that's why tanks in particular and melees for many, are best gold, but focii is usually stagnant from the nonprestige gear to the prestige gear in a given expansion and augs aren't as important as the heroics are for melee and defensives)

That's also goldstatus free on test server, but for some that's just taking advantage of it and hurting the game. You will want gold in the 80-100 range and again at or near 110 though(autogrants end at 110 currently) if you're playing up the whole way, if get powerlevelled(boring but good if in a hurry and know what you're doing) though from the time you start really needing those AAs to 110(100+ is almost instant via taskadds) then only need to go gold once for the AAs, then grind nothing but aas til the month runs out. I'd recommend staying gold for tank at a minimum though.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Ok, so I need to clarify, I can't ever seeing myself paying to play ANY mmo ever again. the subs and stuff just doesn't work for me any more.
plus, I only ever played live and paid for about the first seven expansions so up to level 70ish is where I kinda know my way around. Sorry Toe but most of your post is just gibberish to me, means nothing because I wasn't there when all the expansions you are talking about came out. I'm not being exposed to heaps of pressure to gear up for raiding like I used to get years back, this is all completely at my pace and now I have a full group completely under my own control I can go exploring all the original EQ zones that were a bit high for me way back when.
I'm here to do stuff like getting my epics (only ever had the wizard epic) and exploring classes I haven't played before and I'll be doing most of that in original EQ. Beyond that, like I say I really have no idea about the later expansions or for that matter what people do post lvl 65.

Ok, so I need to clarify, I can't ever seeing myself paying to play ANY mmo ever again. the subs and stuff just doesn't work for me any more.
plus, I only ever played live and paid for about the first seven expansions so up to level 70ish is where I kinda know my way around. Sorry Toe but most of your post is just gibberish to me, means nothing because I wasn't there when all the expansions you are talking about came out. I'm not being exposed to heaps of pressure to gear up for raiding like I used to get years back, this is all completely at my pace and now I have a full group completely under my own control I can go exploring all the original EQ zones that were a bit high for me way back when.
I'm here to do stuff like getting my epics (only ever had the wizard epic) and exploring classes I haven't played before and I'll be doing most of that in original EQ. Beyond that, like I say I really have no idea about the later expansions or for that matter what people do post lvl 65.
If that's your goal, FTP may be enough. If you want to get in the most current free to play content. Your quality of game play will dramatically increase by making all your toons gold at least once, to get the auto grant AA's.

So much has changed since you've left. A lot of being effective these days requires at least some advanced ability points (AA's) that modify your healing, dps, etc. Another new addition to the game since you've been gone (if not new, greatly relied upon) are the focus effects on the gear you wear. Which will reduce casting times, increase damage out put, etc.

Once you get to 100+ that kind of stuff becomes pretty important to keep up with content. However, whatever AA's you get while your gold, stay, you don't lose them, which is why it's usually worth it to do once. If you can and you farm a lot at 110 you could probably sell stuff over time and buy you a krono here and there to do it to your toons.

If not, nothing is saying you can't still do things, it just becomes difficult the higher up you get.

Hey folks. Looking to come back and start fresh. What’s the dream team these days? When I left, they had just buffed Necro. Are they any good now?

Necros are still pretty good but group fights are short at around 30 seconds so necros don't really get a chance to lay down their dots.

Shaman have come into their own as main healers at high levels and berserkers are pretty much DPS kings.

The dream team is often debated but is probably a melee focussed group leading to minimal downtime.

SK are OP as tanks so they are in by default. It could be something like SK/SHM/BRD/BER/BER/BER - probably not the group you want to roll around with full time though.

I personally like to roll around with a sk, cleric and usually both a brd and enc in the same group coupled with whatever else so... I think advice usually ends up play what you enjoy.

Last edited:
Welcome back!

As Methodx says, play what you like.

Tank/heals/CC, throw in your favorite flavor of DPS.

SKs are modern era group (and alot of raid) king tanks. They have of tools that make them highly effective. They also require a ton of AAs (but with auto grant/MQ not as challenging as you would think) - I have 3 at 120 max AA.

War at lower levels are great, once you get in modern era, lack of good/fast AE agro can be a pain. They are pretty tough, and easy to AA (like.. half as many AAs as a SK?), but in modern content, SK still best bang for you buck. - I have 1 at 120 max AA.

Shaman in modern era are heal, DPS and ADPS machines. Until your roughly level 100 however, it can be a rough go. They have the most AAs in game (honestly alot are junk), and dont get combat rez until you get the OMM stick (they do have spell/AA 0% call, and ooc rez), but do slow and debuff. - I have 2 at 120 max AA.

Clerics are powerful, come with combat rez, low AA and are effective from 1-120, as healers. If your leveling up, they are great peace of mind. I havent had healing issues with my clerics in modern content, the downside is thats all they are, are heals. Besides the occasional undead expac, they spend alot of time standing around at full mana and 0 DPS. Cant raid without them, but once your team is advancing along, they are TOO much heals, not enough other stuff in group content (IMO). I have 1 at 120 max AA, 1 at 114 max AA.

Bards are one of the greatest if not greatest ADPS in game. Plus they do well on the CC mez/charm/mem blur. If your going to be based off melee DPS, a bard will add 25% to everyones DPS. Low AA count and the ADPS for everyone makes them favorites for boxers. I have 2 at 120 max AA.

ENC are primarly ADPS for casters, however they do have some ADPS/buff/debuffs for everyone. They are CC machines though. As with clerics, you might not always need to have 12 mobs mezzed, but if you do, the clerics heals, and the ENC CC gives peace of mind. Throw in slow and the amazing amount of group runes they are a solid choice, if less overall DPS. I have 2 at 120, max AA.

MDPS - zerkers or rogues for melee (ToL XPAC is great for rogues). Both low AA, and highly effective, no downtime needed to med. I have no data on monks, and rangers have to dance just right to get max dps, so can be.. hit or miss. I currently have 4 zerkers, 3 rogues, all 120 max AA. 1 lonely ranger 115 max AA.

CDPS - Mages are solid for caster DPS, very good mana/DPS ratio, plus pet emergency tank, debuff, DS and mod rods. As pointed out, necros are insane DPS, but require time to peak, and thats not normally seen in group content. Druids fall in between them, but require timings with ADPS to get the best DPS, and its hard to automate that, and they are mana crippled. They do have heals, and ports, if you need peace of mind extra heals, and dont want to walk everywhere they are handy. I have 2 mages 120, max AA, 2 necros and a druid 115, max AA.

Bst I happen to enjoy, and they are very useful (IMO). With ADPS buffs, and there own not terrible DPS, they make most teams better. They do have a high amount of AAs, and seem to be VERY gear based, but fero, para, combat bite buffs and emergency heals, slows, pet tank, they are worth the flusteration of getting them brought along.

Again play what you want, nobody every said 5 pallys and a ranger couldnt be done~.

Welcome back!

As Methodx says, play what you like.

Tank/heals/CC, throw in your favorite flavor of DPS.

SKs are modern era group (and alot of raid) king tanks. They have of tools that make them highly effective. They also require a ton of AAs (but with auto grant/MQ not as challenging as you would think) - I have 3 at 120 max AA.

War at lower levels are great, once you get in modern era, lack of good/fast AE agro can be a pain. They are pretty tough, and easy to AA (like.. half as many AAs as a SK?), but in modern content, SK still best bang for you buck. - I have 1 at 120 max AA.

Shaman in modern era are heal, DPS and ADPS machines. Until your roughly level 100 however, it can be a rough go. They have the most AAs in game (honestly alot are junk), and dont get combat rez until you get the OMM stick (they do have spell/AA 0% call, and ooc rez), but do slow and debuff. - I have 2 at 120 max AA.

Clerics are powerful, come with combat rez, low AA and are effective from 1-120, as healers. If your leveling up, they are great peace of mind. I havent had healing issues with my clerics in modern content, the downside is thats all they are, are heals. Besides the occasional undead expac, they spend alot of time standing around at full mana and 0 DPS. Cant raid without them, but once your team is advancing along, they are TOO much heals, not enough other stuff in group content (IMO). I have 1 at 120 max AA, 1 at 114 max AA.

Bards are one of the greatest if not greatest ADPS in game. Plus they do well on the CC mez/charm/mem blur. If your going to be based off melee DPS, a bard will add 25% to everyones DPS. Low AA count and the ADPS for everyone makes them favorites for boxers. I have 2 at 120 max AA.

ENC are primarly ADPS for casters, however they do have some ADPS/buff/debuffs for everyone. They are CC machines though. As with clerics, you might not always need to have 12 mobs mezzed, but if you do, the clerics heals, and the ENC CC gives peace of mind. Throw in slow and the amazing amount of group runes they are a solid choice, if less overall DPS. I have 2 at 120, max AA.

MDPS - zerkers or rogues for melee (ToL XPAC is great for rogues). Both low AA, and highly effective, no downtime needed to med. I have no data on monks, and rangers have to dance just right to get max dps, so can be.. hit or miss. I currently have 4 zerkers, 3 rogues, all 120 max AA. 1 lonely ranger 115 max AA.

CDPS - Mages are solid for caster DPS, very good mana/DPS ratio, plus pet emergency tank, debuff, DS and mod rods. As pointed out, necros are insane DPS, but require time to peak, and thats not normally seen in group content. Druids fall in between them, but require timings with ADPS to get the best DPS, and its hard to automate that, and they are mana crippled. They do have heals, and ports, if you need peace of mind extra heals, and dont want to walk everywhere they are handy. I have 2 mages 120, max AA, 2 necros and a druid 115, max AA.

Bst I happen to enjoy, and they are very useful (IMO). With ADPS buffs, and there own not terrible DPS, they make most teams better. They do have a high amount of AAs, and seem to be VERY gear based, but fero, para, combat bite buffs and emergency heals, slows, pet tank, they are worth the flusteration of getting them brought along.

Again play what you want, nobody every said 5 pallys and a ranger couldnt be done~.
Nicely detailed but you left out the most important info. What breed of dog do you have? 🦮

Toast - Hi everyone, us oldies come back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back